GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade

+6
bald eagle
mossbags
Real Kerry Fan
Jayo Cluxton
Thomas Clarke
3inarow08
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Empty Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade

Post  3inarow08 Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry)

Marc ó Sé (Kerry)

Mike McCarthy (Kerry)

Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)

Seamus Moynihan (Kerry)

Kieran McGeeney (Armagh)

Tomas ó Sé (Kerry)

Darragh ó Sé (Kerry)

Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)

Pádraic Joyce (Galway)

Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)

Colm Cooper (Kerry)

Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)

Stephen McDonnell (Armagh)

A lot of bias, I'd have had Cluxton in goals. I wouldn't have had McCarthy in FB, not sure who to put in though. Not many great FBs this decade. Midfield picks itself really. Wouldn't have Declan O' Sullivan, maybe Ciaran McDonald or Graham Geraghty. McDonnell wouldn't have got in there either, to be honest.

Thoughts?
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Empty Re: Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm guessing that Paudi's first draft probably had 15 Kerry men on it, so I suppose it is good of him to trim it down to 8.

The title of this article was '15 men I would want in the trenches with me', which makes it even more ridiculous, as he had half of that side in the trenches with him, and they were routed by Meath, Armagh & Tyrone.

I think we saw on here a couple of months ago that it is hard to get consensus on a Best XV of the decade, but Paudi's is totally removed from reality. In fact, it was typical Paudi.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Not a Dub in sight - bah! And 3 O'Se's - its like Independent Newspapers ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Well lads hello to you all. Decided to make the big switcover. Paidi's team? Not bad but I bet we could pick another equal one.With 15 Kerry players.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I'm guessing that Paudi's first draft probably had 15 Kerry men on it, so I suppose it is good of him to trim it down to 8.

I think 8 is a conservative number considering they appeared in all bar two of this decades all Ireland finals.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Overall it's not that bad really, you could argue that Cluxon should be in goal and i would agree with those that would.

Have to agree with mossy though, when you consider that they were in all but 2 finals you can't really say anything against them having 8!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:19 pm

bald eagle wrote:Overall it's not that bad really, you could argue that Cluxon should be in goal and i would agree with those that would.

Have to agree with mossy though, when you consider that they were in all but 2 finals you can't really say anything against them having 8!

In Dublin Cluxton is considered a top class keeper. Says a lot about their expectation levels these days.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm

mossbags wrote:
I think 8 is a conservative number considering they appeared in all bar two of this decades all Ireland finals.

True, but they were well beaten in 5 huge games that, rightly or wrongly, will always open debate as to whether or not they were greats or flat-track-bullies.

But let's look at names. Diarmuid Murphy probably wasn't even the best keeper in Kerry this decade. Mike McCarthy was very good, but was he really better than Barry Owens, who won 2 All-Stars with Fermanagh.

Moynihan & the 2 O'Se's are in defence ahead of Conor Gormley & Philly Jordan, yet the Tyrone pair were much better than either of them in the big games in which they met. No mention of Graham Canty or Anthony Lynch either. Or Joe Higgins, Tom Kelly, Declan Meehan or Sean Marty Lockhart if you wanted to open it up.

Up front I'd have Dooher in for sure, and would probably also have Brian McGuigan. In fact, I'd have them both ahead of Canavan (never the same after '96) and O'Neill.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Well lads hello to you all. Decided to make the big switcover. Paidi's team? Not bad but I bet we could pick another equal one.With 15 Kerry players.

Well well well, would you look at what the cat dragged in!
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:Well lads hello to you all. Decided to make the big switcover. Paidi's team? Not bad but I bet we could pick another equal one.With 15 Kerry players.

Well well well, would you look at what the cat dragged in!

this place is away to the dogs with all these Kerry men.................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm

3inarow08 wrote:Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry)

Marc ó Sé (Kerry)

Mike McCarthy (Kerry)

Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)

Seamus Moynihan (Kerry)

Kieran McGeeney (Armagh)

Tomas ó Sé (Kerry)

Darragh ó Sé (Kerry)

Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)

Pádraic Joyce (Galway)

Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)

Colm Cooper (Kerry)

Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)

Stephen McDonnell (Armagh)

A lot of bias, I'd have had Cluxton in goals. I wouldn't have had McCarthy in FB, not sure who to put in though. Not many great FBs this decade. Midfield picks itself really. Wouldn't have Declan O' Sullivan, maybe Ciaran McDonald or Graham Geraghty. McDonnell wouldn't have got in there either, to be honest.

Thoughts?

the big omission for me is Phillip Jordan, alongside Tomas O'Se the two most consistent half backs this decade.

I would also argue the case for Dooher
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Well triona, you thought you had escaped but a reliable source informed me that there was a need to keep an eye on you.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:03 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Well triona, you thought you had escaped but a reliable source informed me that there was a need to keep an eye on you.

Well in fairness to you, you're like the loyal and brave captain, last to leave the sinking ship.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

But let's look at names. Diarmuid Murphy probably wasn't even the best keeper in Kerry this decade. Mike McCarthy was very good, but was he really better than Barry Owens, who won 2 All-Stars with Fermanagh.

Moynihan & the 2 O'Se's are in defence ahead of Conor Gormley & Philly Jordan, yet the Tyrone pair were much better than either of them in the big games in which they met.

Back on topic, I agree with you re: Murphy. I think O' Keefe was better, however Murphy is/was around for more of the decade.

Mike Mac and Barry Owens, as you said - was one better than the other? Maybe not. But you can't say that because Owens won two All Stars with a poorer team means he deserves to be on a team ahead of someone that was on a better team.

Moynihan in defence cannot be questioned. The man would be in the running for player of the decade, let alone to get into the first 15. The two O Ses against the 2 Tyrone lads? Both O Ses have won various Player of the Year awards, as well as countless All Stars between them. Tomas O Se would be another strong contender for player of the decade, if such a title existed. I wouldnt go along with your argument that because both Tyrone players played better in 3 individual games would mean they're better. I'd rather judge them on their consistent performances over a decade. They've been at the top year in, year out.

Dooher has a decent shout, in fact I'd accomodate him instead of Declan O' Sullivan. Or maybe get rid of McDonnell and put Canavan in there and then bring in Dooher.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:43 pm

You see Triona, I don't actually think that some of those guys are as good as they are made out to be. I've always felt that, to a large extent, if you put a green & gold jersey on someone they become a superstar in the media's eyes. It's a bit like the myth in soccer that still exists - if he's Brazilian, he must be good.

Now, I'm not for a second suggesting that The O'Se's, McCarthy, Moynihan etc aren't excellent footballers, but I don't think they were any better than a number of others.

While not as naturally gifted, Jordan, for instance, has been as consistently good as Tomas O'Se. He might not have that languid solo-run, nor the beautiful point-taking ability, but was a better defender and was better on the broken ball. McCarthy was an excellent corner back and a very good full-back, but I wouldn't rate him nearly as good as Owens, who would probably have 5-6 all-stars by now if he had been born in Kerry (and avoided his illnesses/injuries).

Even Moynihan, who I think was ridiuclously named as the 10th greatest player of all time by the Independent recently, has had some shocking big days - Ronan Clarke (at 19) destroyed him in 2002, while McGuigan did the same in 2005. Again, Moynihan was excellent, but for me he was no better than Kieran McGeeney at his best.

Dara is another. A fine footballer, but not one of the 25 greatest of all-time, like he was named last week. Paul McGrane dominated him in 2002, Kevin Hughes did the same in 2003 & 2008. I know I'll be accused of picking select examples, but if we are talking about one of the best midfielders of all-time, then Kevin Hughes should not be dominating him in 2 major games.

This will continue to be the way for some time though. Look at David Moran, for example, a fella who would hardly have played more than 2 hours of championship football, yet I see his name in the papers all the time. Maybe he will go on to become a great player, but so far he is living off his father's name.

Fair play to those Kerry men - some of them have 5 or 6 all-Ireland medals. But, in my opinion, there will always be a question mark over that side if we are talking all-time greatness, whatever the record books may say.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:18 pm

jordan has played in every championship match for tyrone from 2001 onwaords excelling in one of the best half back lines in ireland, MH haschanged other players about but one constant remains philly jordan at 7. surely cluxton has been the best keeper in the last 10 years as he has numerous allstars to back this up i would go as far as to say in keeper pecking order of the last 10 years cluxton first connaughton second byron third mickey mcveigh 4th then probably murphy.

i would tend to agree with TC on this hand them a kerry jersey and they become stars - owens justin mcmahon francie and cormac and even Fay ( just to keep loyal happy) would be as good at number three as the man picked.

suppose this is paidi bein a cute kerry hoor as he is well known for being. i would say picking a team of the last ten years a breakdown of something like tyrone kerry about 4 each armagh 3 with dublin having cluxton and derry galway cork donegal mayo and laois having claims to pick up the three other spots

ps what about declan browne? played till 2005 generally regarded as one of the greatest footballers of madern time yet not mentioned?
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:31 pm

redhandman wrote:
ps what about declan browne? played till 2005 generally regarded as one of the greatest footballers of madern time yet not mentioned?

Yes indeed, Declan Browne, the biggest 'what if...' of the last 10 years.

On the right team, I think he would have been as good as jjust about any forward we saw this decade but, as we sadly never saw him in the big games, we will only ever be able to speculate about how good he really was.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:52 pm

I agree with an awful lot of what you're saying TC. And I fully understand where you're coming from.

But just to nit-pick at one point (I can't pick on any of your other ponts because in fairness they're all reasonably sound) - Seamus Moynihan.

In 2002, marking Ronan Clarke, Seamus was playing out of position, at full back. Seamus was a centre half back for the majority of his career. So I wouldn't use the Armagh match as a reason why Paidi shouldn't have picked him in the half back line for team of the decade.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:10 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
In 2002, marking Ronan Clarke, Seamus was playing out of position, at full back. Seamus was a centre half back for the majority of his career. So I wouldn't use the Armagh match as a reason why Paidi shouldn't have picked him in the half back line for team of the decade.

I guess it is all about opinions. I've always felt that Moynihan was actually better in the full-back line, although he rarely played there. He won player of the year from full-back in 2000, and was a great man to put the shackles on most corner/full-forwards (admittedly, Clarke was so big and mobile at that age, he would have been a handful for anyone).

He was a fine player at wing-half or CHB also, but for me his best year was at full-back in 2000. Still, I agree, well worthy of a place on any team of the decade.

And may I add, great to have a Kerry perspective on here at long last!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Paudi never had a clue about football. To pick 7 non Kerrymen from the team of the decade when we were so far ahead of anyone else is just crazy. No doubt he is doing it to annoy Kerry folk. I can't think of one non-Kerry player I'd pick except maybe Cluxton.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 pm

3inarow08 wrote:I agree with an awful lot of what you're saying TC. And I fully understand where you're coming from.

But just to nit-pick at one point (I can't pick on any of your other ponts because in fairness they're all reasonably sound) - Seamus Moynihan.

personally i always thought Moynihan was over rated, Oisin scored 1-9 of him in 2000 semi final as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:09 pm

samin10 wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:I agree with an awful lot of what you're saying TC. And I fully understand where you're coming from.

personally i always thought Moynihan was over rated, Oisin scored 1-9 of him in 2000 semi final as well.

welcome back Samin Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_surprised Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_surprised
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm

bocerty wrote:
samin10 wrote:

welcome back Samin Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_surprised Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_surprised

as for Philip Jordan, catch yourselves on Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_mad

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 pm

samin10 wrote:
bocerty wrote:
samin10 wrote:

as for Philip Jordan, catch yourselves on Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_mad

surprise quote of the year there from Samin - didnt see that one coming at all
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:46 pm

samin10 wrote:as for Philip Jordan, catch yourselves on Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_mad

I think they only mentioned him to get you back on here Sam!!!! Páidí O Sé's XV of the decade Icon_biggrin

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next