GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAI Chief Urges Keane to 'Move on'

3 posters

Go down

FAI Chief Urges Keane to 'Move on' Empty FAI Chief Urges Keane to 'Move on'

Post  bald eagle Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney has described Roy Keane's outburst against Ireland on Friday as "sad" and urged the former Ireland captain to "move on".

Ipswich manager Keane had little sympathy for the FAI's campaign to have their controversial World Cup play-off against France replayed following Thierry Henry's handball and said "what goes around comes around".

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan seven years ago, when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

"People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup, and that man (Delaney) is on about honesty. I was one of the players and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me," the former Sunderland manager said.
"I'd been involved with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't have the decency to make a phone call. He could have phoned me, of course he could have."

However, Delaney said this afternoon that Keane should move on from the affair, telling Sky Sports News: "It's just a side-show.

"We've all moved on from Saipan - Niall Quinn, Mick McCarthy, the FAI and all the players - but it seems to me that he (Keane) hasn't.
"It's time for him now, in my opinion, to learn from the past - not live with it.
"I really thought the images shown around the world on Friday were very sad - it's sad to see a great former player reflected in the manner as he did.
"It's time to forget about Saipan and move on - because everyone else has."

Fair play to Delaney for saying this, the first thing i though of when i heard Keanes rant was that he was still very bitter about Saipan, but who was the one to walk away? He should've been tried for treason!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

FAI Chief Urges Keane to 'Move on' Empty Re: FAI Chief Urges Keane to 'Move on'

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Yeah I have to say that Keane's comments on Friday were treacherous. I never took sides after Saipan - could see both Mick and Keane's side and did think the FAI were hugely to blame. But Keane's comments were ill-timed, bilious and out of order. He would have been better saying nothing but as I posted earlier for such a know-all he can't see that his Friday press conferences are manna for heaven for the tabloids and the laugh is, more often than not, on Keane. I expect another walkout fairly soon ... Have no time for him now.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:00 am

Apparently Roy has apologised for his rant!!! I would have thought that the words 'I'm sorry' were no more in his vocabulary than 'Its my round' were in Bocerty's! Did Ipswich put him under pressure?? Never saw him back down like that before. Mind you is the last line 'I'm 38 years of age and I'm going to make misakes' a bit of a barb? Its not like he's 18 - sure you should have enough cop at 38, eh Sami?

Roy Keane has said sorry for his Republic of Ireland tirade.
The Ipswich manager, who gave vent to his feelings last Friday, used his club’s plc annual meeting to make his climbdown.
Former Manchester United skipper and Republic midfield legend Keane said: “The comments I made were perhaps over the top.”
He continued: “I apologise to any supporters I may have offended. I’m 38 years of age and I’m going to make mistakes.”
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Apparently Roy has apologised for his rant!!! I would have thought that the words 'I'm sorry' were no more in his vocabulary than 'Its my round' were in Bocerty's! Did Ipswich put him under pressure?? Never saw him back down like that before. Mind you is the last line 'I'm 38 years of age and I'm going to make misakes' a bit of a barb? Its not like he's 18 - sure you should have enough cop at 38, eh Sami?

Roy Keane has said sorry for his Republic of Ireland tirade.
The Ipswich manager, who gave vent to his feelings last Friday, used his club’s plc annual meeting to make his climbdown.
Former Manchester United skipper and Republic midfield legend Keane said: “The comments I made were perhaps over the top.”
He continued: “I apologise to any supporters I may have offended. I’m 38 years of age and I’m going to make mistakes.”

sounds to me like Keane has lost the plot altogether, sad in a way to see such a wonderful player end up a bitter and twisted man but he isnt the first and he isnt the last, i guarantee if Ipswich were top of the league Keane wouldnt even have mnetioned Ireland, he was trying to deflect some of the flack that has been coming his way of late.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down