GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moss Keane RIP

5 posters

Go down

Moss Keane RIP Empty Moss Keane RIP

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 am

Very shocked to hear about the death of rugby legend Moss Keane. I knew he was unwell but thought he was on the mend. A true great!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Moss Keane RIP Empty Re: Moss Keane RIP

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 am

Yeas Jayo just heard it a while ago. The gentle giant slipped away quickly in the end. Knew Moss well years ago.Was a true character and never forgot his roots. The world will be a duller place without him.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm

I love his line when asked what was the highlight of his 1977 Lions tour and he replied 'hearing that Kerry had beaten Cork in the Munster Final.' His book, 'Rucks, Mauls and Gaelic Football' is a good old read too!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Met the man years ago at Sigerson weekends, memorably when he wrecked a hotel in Cork one year.

We alkways thought he was massive, and yet by todays rugby standards he wasn't.

He was however a massive influence and a great man.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:20 pm

Sad news indeed, a larger than life character in every sense and always loyal to his friends, county and country.

My favourite memory of him comes from a rugby trip we were on, to Twickenham I'd say, when we were on the same flight out as the Irish team. This was in the era before trips to the UK were as common as now and the duty free rules were more relaxed.
Moss bought 3 bottles of whiskey in the duty free and as we were about to board he handed them to the debutant Donal Lenihan with the phrase:
"Here laddie, you carry them on, I'll be back in a minute" as he skived back to spend a penny....

RIP Big Man, one of the all-time greats...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:19 pm

patrique wrote:We alkways thought he was massive, and yet by todays rugby standards he wasn't.

Funny you should say that P. I am not small meself and had a pic with Tana Umaga a couple of years back and was towering over him. Met Lomu too and he was not the giant he looks on the pitch. But I met Moss on a few occasions and by God he was a big man - and a big presence. His hands were like the buckets of a JCB. Was a great supporter of the Dublin 70s team golf classic - as are a lot of Kerry players and folk. That outing / night has lost Mick Holden, Paddy Hillery and now Moss in recent years.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 am

Jayo, just another little bit of info re Moss. He was one of the founding members of St.Judes club.Another great quote of his.'If you take off your socks going to bed you could knock another two days wear out of them' Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Murphy Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:00 am

Sad to hear.

RIP.

Larry Murphy