GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round robin new style championship?

2 posters

Go down

Round robin new style championship? Empty Round robin new style championship?

Post  North Side Gael Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 pm

What if the national league was a qualifiying series for the a new round robin style heiniken cup and european cup style rugby championship during the summer.

No divisions just 8 groups of 4 the bottom two go into the lower tier and the top two go into the top tier 4 groups of four in each, everyone with an even chance of qualifying?

Imagine the group from hell, Dublin, Cork, Tyrone and Kerry???

These would be big gate matches round robing or not.......................what yous thing?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Round robin new style championship? Empty Re: Round robin new style championship?

Post  JimWexford Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Still only thinkng of county.
what about club when are you going to play club games.
do you want to separate the two have an isolated club structure with a separate "professional type" intercounty one.
Intercounty only exists because of the club NOT the other way round.
Straight knockout will give you
1 Better % of good games
2 No dead rubber games

how many people go see other counties play (not counting the TV) compared to going to see county finals in other counties etc.
If a club game was taking place in your county would you rather go see Tyrone, Down Derry play or that club game?
And then people pass judgements saying that there are 10 better players in the county, how would they know if all they where doing was looking at intercounty games rather than club games!
Question do you really think that little of club games you want to put them to the back end of the year- to the muck, to the cold, what about those club people do tthey not deserve a day in the sun in there own right!
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Round robin new style championship? Empty Re: Round robin new style championship?

Post  North Side Gael Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Jim you still dont get it, i love my two clubs that ive been a member of in my life.

I would see nothing before them, but the fact of the matter is, in wexford and antrim weve many good club teams who could mix it with the best in any other county ie buffers or dunloy however the county team gives a junior club player a dream to play against the best for a season or two or ten.

Im sure any new format would not have to interfere with club matches ie play inter county every other weekend and the weekend inbetween for purely club purposes, start the club scene in feb at the same time as the NHL/NFL, run with it until october this would solve all problems, it doesnt stop us having a vibrant intercounty scene, i love the club championships, i also love the county championships and leagues.

To go back to the knock out only stages would go against every thing people in modern ireland stand for which is money. Id love to see a referendum on weather or not the gaa should turn pro id vote no but im sure the people of ireland would vote yes, they are the people who pack out croker, these are the people with little interest in the club scene but the are also the ones who line the coffers of the gaa. We have to market to them sell to them, and intice them in, we normal gaa heads at club level like me and you are out on pitches in the f**king snow in january the others come along in august they compliment each other through finance.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:05 am

Jim you still dont get it, i love my two clubs that ive been a member of in my life.

I get it

I would see nothing before them, but the fact of the matter is, in wexford and antrim weve many good club teams who could mix it with the best in any other county ie buffers or dunloy however the county team gives a junior club player a dream to play against the best for a season or two or ten.
To stick with hurling in Wexford you nearly have to play senior to be considered for county team (Intermedaite a possibility) look at the state they are in.
At least football heads realised years ago a good player can be found in any club, Scott Doran a prime example played Junior for his club Kilmore and played interpro for Leinster.
The alley haven't won Wexford since '92. Standard of club hurling is so low at the moment wait till you see what either the village or Ballyhale do to Oulart.
The main reason foe this is intercounty, our county board put everything on hold to accomodate our county team- as do many others we are really starting to feel it down here. Im sure any new format would not have to interfere with club matches ie play inter county every other weekend and the weekend inbetween for purely club purposes, start the club scene in feb at the same time as the NHL/NFL, run with it until october this would solve all problems, it doesnt stop us having a vibrant intercounty scene, i love the club championships, i also love the county championships and leagues.
Any additional games WILL interfer with the club scene, because what you have alluded to is Burnout.
They can play this week with the county, next week with there clubs, when and who are they going to train with. s a county manager going to let people play "meaningless" club matches- be honest with your answer.
now we have the senario of people saying how did such and such make a county team he/she are usless why 'cause they are knacked going week in week out not knowing who to serve.

To go back to the knock out only stages would go against every thing people in modern ireland stand for which is money.
Look where that has landed us back to the old traditional ways and start to build new core values would not go amiss and he is a chance to take it

Id love to see a referendum on weather or not the gaa should turn pro id vote no but im sure the people of ireland would vote yes, they are the people who pack out croker, these are the people with little interest in the club scene but the are also the ones who line the coffers of the gaa.
To vote you have to be a member of the GAA I don'y know of anf GAA people in favout of professionalism. I was in a minority in favour of the players grants (and still am due to the scarfices the make for our pleasure).People would have to be strong and not let sentimental crap sway you over as in the case of opening Croker to foreign games.

We have to market to them sell to them, and intice them in, we normal gaa heads at club level like me and you are out on pitches in the f**king snow in january the others come along in august they compliment each other through finance.
True I agree but in you proposal we would lose so much. Provinical grant schemes are funded by provinical championships, so removed these where are you going to get the money to give clubs grants. Please don't say croker because then who decides which county or club get it. We have 4 provinces and we use them to finance and run themselves as well as providing a structure for clubs to operate in everything from transfers within county and province to grants etc. Only when transfering from clubs in to different provinces do you have to go through croker.

As I said keep the think hat on but you would be seriously damaging clubs with you ideas. truthfully in the long haul under these systems (not just NSG's) been branded about it will lead to amalgalmations and loss of clubs ad in turn loss of people players etc.

PS best game I ever played in it snowed U14 county final, started sunshine then we had hailstones capped of by snow told kids that one at last years lenister u21 final between kildare and Wexford where the pitch was white due to snowfall and we had a great snowfall during the game and NSG I agree with you on one thing - the show still went on.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down