GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Luck of the Irish

+2
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
6 posters

Go down

The Luck of the Irish Empty The Luck of the Irish

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Surely it will be one of the greatest sporting flukes if we qualify for the South Africa World Cup Finals. Such an average team that we have!

Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews, who are these lads? Member when we had Keane, Holland and Kinsella in central midfield! Class players who could tackle and pass. Aidan McGeady, how is he getting his place? Then you have lads like Sean St.Ledger, Liam Lawrence, Martin Rowlands, has anyone even heard of these players? Rowlands plays with QPR, who are QPR? Up front, Doyle still living off one good performance in an Irish shirt and Robbie Keane, who to be fair to him is a middling decent player. But can you imagine what the English or the Brazilians would do to us. Imagine Gerrard and Lampard in midfield up against Andrews and Whelan!

Back to top Go down

The Luck of the Irish Empty Re: The Luck of the Irish

Post  GAA-Fan Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Ireland deserved that victory. Never seen a team dive so much, not even Tyrone
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:29 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Ireland deserved that victory. Never seen a team dive so much, not even Tyrone

The Italians played with us. If Italy didn't equalize in the last few minutes, it would have been daylight robbery. We have been so fortunate to have been drawn in such a weak group.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:41 am

Mindboggling to think that I'm in agreement with Loyal on this one. I didn't see it (nor did I want to ) but the Italians must be gone back a good bit if we could draw with them.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:35 am

This is my beloved Italy, when did Italy EVER expend Unneeded energy?

If Ireland had not scored a second Italy would not have bothered again. Remember the 1970 semi? Led all the was against Germany, 1-0, and then Germany equalised, and went ahead twice. Poor old Italy had to score 4 that day, when 1-0 was adequate.

The great Inter team in the mid 1960s? No matter who they played in was always the same. 1-0 at home, 0-0 away should it be Real Madrid or Linfield.

Apart from the time Liverpool went and won 3-1. My lads had to win the return 3-0. Such a waste of energy.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:40 pm

was a great goal though...we'd all enjoy it very much if Ireland got to the world cup The Luck of the Irish 654413
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:was a great goal though...we'd all enjoy it very much if Ireland got to the world cup The Luck of the Irish 654413

No we wouldn't, we'd make a show of ourselves just like the rugby crowd did in 2007. Can you imagine what the English or the Russians would do to us!? We'd be steam-rolled. Imagine a combination of Arshavin-Pavluychenko-Zhirkov against our defence, the thought sends shivers down my spine! Or Gerrard and Lampard up against Whelan and Andrews!

If it weren't for people like Mick Kinane, Declan McDonagh, Kieren Fallon, Aidan O'Brien, John Oxx and Jim Bolger, we'd probably be the worst sporting nation per population. Fair play to these men for their great contribution to Irish sport.

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Disagree Loyal. To qualify for the world cup finals is an achievement in itself, something which the likes of Scotland and Wales plus countless other nations haven't been able to do. I remember the 2002 World Cup when I was younger and I can recall nothing but excitement of seeing an Ireland team playing against Germany and Spain at the world cup finals. Would love to see us have a team at the world cup again, albeit one that won't get very far. Also, I don't think the boys did that badly against Italy last night either. You need to look further than your obsession with horse racing and show a bit of support for the national team.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Keith Andrews came over from Ireland and through the youth system at Wolves and it amazes me that he's playing in the Premier League with Blackburn because he was nothing short of useless for us when we were in the Championship.

As for making the World Cup, if we get there then we deserve it and remember it's how the 11 play as a team that counts and not necessarily who the 11 are. And as for England, is it not enough every national over here is hyping them up to win it since beating Croatia without the Meath man doing it too The Luck of the Irish Icon_rolleyes

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 pm

i can honestly say i haven't watched one of the Republics qualifying matches for the WC. I think though it is fair to say the team we have wouldn't be the greatest but if they do manage to qualify then i say fair play to them. Yes they will head out as complete and utter canon fodder for everyone else but they wont be alone, and i dont think they would be an embarrassment out there either after all most teams go to a World Cup with damage limitation in mind rather than playing open expansive football so the chances of ever getting a hammering are slight.

Realistically of the 32 odd teams that will be there only 3-4 will be serious contenders. Look at Argentina - they still haven't qualified and even if they did most teams would fancy their chances of at least holding them to a draw.

Loyal i do see your point but hey if the guys qualify (and lets face it FIFA are doing everything in their power to make sure minnows like Ireland stay at home) it could enhance the feel good factor in the country and a major championship is always more interesting when your own country is involved.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:02 am

To be honest Trap in his managerial career has only lost 2 games to the Italian manager, and I think the Italian manager would have wanted to win. But Italy could have scored at will - but thats another matter.

Anwyay it was Stauntons fault that we find ourselves in such a position. But Trap has done extremerly well to get Ireland this far. As for England, they always get the easy groups. I would have fancied Irelands chances in their group more so than in our own.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down