GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sean Boylan - Best 15?

5 posters

Go down

Sean Boylan - Best 15? Empty Sean Boylan - Best 15?

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:51 am

Since Meath aren't playing this weekend, I thought I'd start a different type of discussion about everyone's favourite county! The best 15 players to ever play for Sean Boylan:

1. Cormac Sullivan (St. Patricks)

2. Robbie O'Malley (St. Colmcilles)
3. Mick Lyons (Summerhill)
4. Darren Fay (Trim)

5. Paddy Reynolds (Walterstown)
6. Liam Harnan (Moynalvey)
7. Martin O'Connell (St. Michaels)

8. John McDermott (Skyrne)
9. Gerry McEntee (Nobber)

10. David Beggy (Navan O'Mahonys)
11. Colm O'Rourke (Skyrne)
12. Trevor Giles (Skyrne)

13. Ollie Murphy (Carnaross)
14. Graham Geraghty (Senchelstown and Clann na Gael)
15. Bernard Flynn (St. Colmcilles, St. Josephs and Mullingar Shamrocks)

Sadly no place for the likes of Tommy Dowd, Kevin Foley, Enda McManus, Jimmy McGuinness, Colm Coyle, Terry Ferguson, Joe Cassells, Liam Hayes, Brian Stafford, Evan Kelly, Nigel Crawford, Mark O'Reilly, Padraig Lyons, Richie Kealy, Nigel Nestor, Donal Curtis.

Jeez, some great men pulled on the green and gold under the tutorage of Sean Boylan. What is everyone else's opinion on Boylan's best 15?

Back to top Go down

Sean Boylan - Best 15? Empty Re: Sean Boylan - Best 15?

Post  mossbags Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:47 pm

As fine a team of hatchet men as your ever likely to come across. The likes of Derry and Monaghan could learn a thing or two from this lot.

The interesting thing was Boylans ability to trawl the county and get the very best sledgers, oops, I mean talent, available. For example
Gerry McGentee(Nobber) played both junior and intermediate football while wearing the Meath colours. O Malley and Flynn from Colmcilles were both playing intermediate as was Martin O Connell who as far as I know is St Micheals first and only contribution to the hall of fame.
Ollie Murphy was inter-mediate as was his clubmate at Carnacross PJ Gillick who loyal left out.
John McDermott was playing for a junior club, forget which one (loyal??) when he first got the call from Boylan, before he moved to Skyrne. These would be just a few examples.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any successful county since that has had such an array of junior/intermediate players in the mix although I may be wrong on that count. But it certainly does prove how Boylan had a clear mindset in his head as to the exact type of team he wanted and the exact type of player he knew he neede to achieve it. Much like the Galway hurlers of to-day in fact, a team with a clear game-plan and a clear player type that will endeavour to impiment it. Just imagine what the likes of Meath could have achieved if they had the likes of a footballing Joe Canning in their ranks!
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:14 pm

mossbags - the Tyrone teams that won All-Ireland in 2003 2005 and 2008 would have had quite a few players playing junior/intermediate in the starting 15
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Some fine players indeed Loyal although not many from the last few years unfortunately. My team would be slightly different to your own though. I'd go for:

1) Comac Sullivan
2) Robbie O'Malley
3 Mick Lyons
4) Mark O'Reilly
5) Graham Geraghty
6) Darren Fay (played there as a minor, and I've no doubt he could have been great there as a senior too)
7) Martin O'Connell
8. Gerry McEntee
9) John McDermott
10)Trevor Giles
11)Liam Hayes (similar to Fay, pretty certain he could have played here, and too good to leave out)
12)Tommy Dowd
13)Ollie Murphy
14)Colm O'Rourke
15)Bernard Flynn

Whatever was the best 15, it is a strong side. In fact, I'd say only Tyrone and Kerry could field a stronger selection from the last 25-30 years!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:38 pm

I always thought Fayser was best at the edge of his square. He used to play a few league matches at CHB or midfield but not sure he was as effective so far out the field. Mark O'Reilly was very good in his early days but after about 2001, he lost a bit of speed I think, forwards seemed to have it handier on him as he got older I thought. Great players and an equally as talented a bunch are to be unleashed on the nation in a few weeks!!! Pay particular attention to Eoin Harrington and Brian Farrell, best in their positions in the country.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:04 pm

I agree totally tha Fay was a super full-back. In fact, I'd rate him the finet full-back of the last 30 years. Boylan often played his players in unusual positions in the league. I remember him playing John McDermot at CHB throughout the league in 95/96, before switching him to midfield for the championship. After they won the all-ireland that year he said he had played McDermot in defence throughout the league as he wanted him to become more defensively aware. Boylan, more than any other manager I have seen, knew how to get the absolute most out of his players.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:10 pm

agree totally with the opinions on Fay - he was a hard uncompromising full back. Not too many fowards can claim to have got the better of him too often. Always enjoyed watching him play though i wouldnt like to have been marked by him.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:14 pm

Fay was a great player - may have played two seasons too many (through necessity) but he was also following a great one in Mick Lyons - despite what people may think a hugely admired and respected player among Dub GAA fans!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:34 am

Off the top of my head I can't think of any successful county since that has had such an array of junior/intermediate players in the mix although I may be wrong on that count.

Mosy successful teams hurling / football would have players from outside there senior ranks. KK won an aii irelans with 10 junior/intermediate players one year. Cork/ Kerry always had them as well (granted they would of played senior due to divisional teams)
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down