GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sean Óg - whats it all about .....

+7
black&white
mossbags
OMAR
mugsys_barber
hipster 2
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
11 posters

Go down

Sean Óg - whats it all about ..... Empty Sean Óg - whats it all about .....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:49 pm

So Seán Óg - best Cork player on the pitch v Kilkenny is surplus to requirements. Strange stuff. He has indicated he wanted to continue but Denis Walsh has made the decision for him - and Seán Óg has gone out there and actively done the media. The Rock was on the News tonight pouring scorn on DW. I doubt this one is over......... Cork shennanigans - where would we be without them!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Sean Óg - whats it all about ..... Empty Re: Sean Óg - whats it all about .....

Post  bocerty Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:52 pm

thats a pretty big call from Walsh and one not too well thought out if you ask me. Like him or loathe him he is a serious hurler and would be a useful man to have about the fringes of a panel.

What gives anyone the right to call time on a footballer/hurlers career when they are still fit and able to contribute something - its not like he has been ravaged by injuries or carrying weight or the like. Stupid decision DW - take your head out of your hole
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:07 pm

its a strange decision as sean og has plenty left to offer , i remember tommy carr retiring players when he got the dublin job he set dublin back years
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 pm

bocerty wrote:Like him or loathe him he is a serious hurler and would be a useful man to have about the fringes of a panel.

That may well be the very reason ..... if you follow me
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm

I think you have to say well done to Sean og for being man enough to come out and say that he was basically dropped form the panel as opposed to taking it on the chin, burying his thoughts and making up some bullshit story that he had spent 15 years on the panel....., ready to settle down and have kids etc etc...., fed up with the routine of county football... blah blah. Whether his manager was right or wrong not to include him in next years plans will all be found out in due course but fair play to Sean Og for letting us all know his true feelings on the matter.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 pm

i always remember our manager retiring one of the lads on my team because he was 37 but he was still one of our best players and had just finished top scorer that year , we all lost respect for that manager as it was quite obvious that he saw him as a threat i wonder if its the same in cork
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Mugsy - may be good for SO - but not so good for DW. He could have said nothing but he knows how to work the media. As I said earlier, the Rock has already been out questioning the decision. He has piled pressure on the manager - and he must've known he would. I would say he was a very strong character in the dressing room ... maybe too strong. Walsh has to blood a lot of young players - he has no choice. Interesting that he got rid of a player of vast experience - and possible help - with no apparent replacement. How he handles the other 'seniors' in the panel may tell a tale.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Personally I admire Sean Og for taking that route and maybe its because I have regrets myself that I didn't follow a similar path instead of bottling it all up and letting it eat away at you at the time (mind you it didn't stir up much media interest in Tyrone at the time!!) Rolling Eyes .

For older/experienced players it can be hard to let go and if the team goes well next year then the manager was right to make the call but if it goes wrong then its egg on the managers face and questions will resurface as to why Sean og was dropped in the first place. But yes SO has made the current managers position a difficult one and maybe the seeds have been sown for another Strike down the line??
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 pm

The Rock was pulling no punches on the news anyway - "I suppose it brings his managerial capabilities into question - yet again." Strong words indeed ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:11 am

Well to be honest - Maybe thats where it will all end up
Maybe the only thing that will make this generation of rebels happy is if they manage themselves
so Diarmuid O S, Joe Deane, Sean Og, Donal og or whoever can get together and run it themselves cause doesn't seem that they will ever leave anyone else do it in peace.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:55 am

Sean óg tried to decapitate the head off Damien Hayes below in Thurles back in 2008. He was a thug and a prima donna and an average hurler at best, no loss to the game.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Well he's already created the noose for others to hang him with when Cork get knocked out of the Championship this summer.

Can't help but wonder if it's a case of DW trying to stamp his authority on the squad. Sean Óg was always one of the figureheads in any disputes/strikes, and maybe DW see's this as a way of both asseting authority and removing a potential trouble-maker in one fell swoop.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:23 pm

I heard from a very well placed source that plans are already in place for the cork hurlers to strike until denis walsh is ousted from the job and sean og is reinstated. Here we go again........
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Walsh has had him in the dressing room for two years now. He was as good a player as they had last year. Read between the lines.

Donal Og, the Ice Cream twins and others may grab their coats ......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Walsh has had him in the dressing room for two years now. He was as good a player as they had last year. Read between the lines.

Donal Og, the Ice Cream twins and others may grab their coats ......

Coat grabbers and shirt lifters.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 pm

We used to debate Sean Og andJJ but it always came down to the same thing, JJ was a hurler, Sean Og was an athlete. Obviously he had a bit of hurling as well but not a natural. as the legs go, his game would go.

Maybe Walsh is just a good manager, because no-one has been too afraid of Sean Og for a few years now.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm

So all the other Cork 'veterans' have survived Walsh's cull -does make you wonder why Sean Og was singled out for early retirement, no doubt he'll write a book shortly and tell all!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Think people are reading far too much into this and the bold P was closer to the mark than most.
First off Sean og to my mind was one of the best players Cork/GAA had produced in the last 12/13 years
Rem he was on for an AI double in 1999, only to dashed by Meath.
P was correct in his statement about Sean Og not been a "natural hurler" in the mould of say JJ Deleany, T.Walsh, B. Whelhan.
But he was a fierce competitor who was a lot more skillful than your average Joe soap.
He used his size, speed and strength to push himself that extra mile, what I mean he was a players that used all of his attributes to make himself one of the best/greatest to play our games.
Not all players do that, some of our so called greats relied on skill and never honed or developed the speed etc.
Sean Og always gave 100% both mentally and physically a great trait in player and dangerous to a manager!.
He had a fierce tenacity and commitment to his fellow squad members, they would go to him rather than the manager to confide problems (as explained mentioned by various members of the Cork senior set up).
Walsh had to make a mark there is only room for one Alpha male and that generally is the manager with his captain pulling the strings in the squad for him.
A Sarsfields player was going to be captain this year so that was removing any way D.Walsh was going to be able to influence the dressing room, next logical step remove what he perceived to be his biggest threat to underline his influence/control/dominance.

Personally think Sean Og has a few years left at the top table (intercounty hurling) as he's an individual that put sport before his career and he looks after himself better than most professional sportpersons do.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Fair point Jim - but am i right in thinking Sean Og wasnt going out of his way to undermine Walshs authority and that he has suffered simply becasue of his popularity amongst his team mates.

Strikes me that Walsh may feel a tad insecure about his capabilities as an intercounty manager and has his doubts that he can turn Cork into a winning team again. So he goes and removes the one person who others might go to to express their concerns etc the man is on an ego trip and unless he is a great manager and priduces an All ireland soon he is going to look pretty stupid.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm

bocerty wrote:Fair point Jim - but am i right in thinking Sean Og wasnt going out of his way to undermine Walshs authority and that he has suffered simply becasue of his popularity amongst his team mates.

Strikes me that Walsh may feel a tad insecure about his capabilities as an intercounty manager and has his doubts that he can turn Cork into a winning team again. So he goes and removes the one person who others might go to to express their concerns etc the man is on an ego trip and unless he is a great manager and priduces an All ireland soon he is going to look pretty stupid.

Ya that sums up the point I was making was about Walsh.
Think a lot of people are beginning to see it now
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 am

Even the other great JC (Jesus Christ) would not deliver a Liam for Cork for at least 5 years ... at least. They are waaaaaaaaaaay off ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Good decision from Walsh....There are far too many miles on the Cork team and rebuilding has to start, might be tough on Sean Og but the likes of William Egan need to be given game time in the half backline.....It is easy say he would be a decent option on the bench or on the panel but the fact of the matter is that Sean Og wouldn't be too pleasedwith being a bench warmer for the year(very few players with his medals/experience would)

Cork are miles behind Kilkenny/Tipp, last may was the last sting of a dying wasp....Cork badly need fresh blood and the decison has been made for the greater good....It will be a few years beforeCork are back at the top table, but the longer they keep relying on the likes of the O'Conners, Sean Og, Kenny, Curran etc the longer it will be before they are back winning A/I's
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:39 pm

JimWexford wrote:Think people are reading far too much into this and the bold P was closer to the mark than most.
First off Sean og to my mind was one of the best players Cork/GAA had produced in the last 12/13 years
Rem he was on for an AI double in 1999, only to dashed by Meath.
P was correct in his statement about Sean Og not been a "natural hurler" in the mould of say JJ Deleany, T.Walsh, B. Whelhan.
But he was a fierce competitor who was a lot more skillful than your average Joe soap.
He used his size, speed and strength to push himself that extra mile, what I mean he was a players that used all of his attributes to make himself one of the best/greatest to play our games.
Not all players do that, some of our so called greats relied on skill and never honed or developed the speed etc.
Sean Og always gave 100% both mentally and physically a great trait in player and dangerous to a manager!.
He had a fierce tenacity and commitment to his fellow squad members, they would go to him rather than the manager to confide problems (as explained mentioned by various members of the Cork senior set up).
Walsh had to make a mark there is only room for one Alpha male and that generally is the manager with his captain pulling the strings in the squad for him.
A Sarsfields player was going to be captain this year so that was removing any way D.Walsh was going to be able to influence the dressing room, next logical step remove what he perceived to be his biggest threat to underline his influence/control/dominance.

Personally think Sean Og has a few years left at the top table (intercounty hurling) as he's an individual that put sport before his career and he looks after himself better than most professional sportpersons do.

Says it a lot better than I could.

I can't even post never mind be articulate.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down