GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!!

+4
patrique
bocerty
rich dublin
Jayo Cluxton
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!! Empty All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!!

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Top Table

Tyrone.
Have to get top billing after last year’s exploits. Hunger will not be a problem – from the minute they won last year they were aiming for 2 in a row. Don’t seem to have as many injuries as usual and Stephen O’Neill will be driven this year – ominous! Have the experience, guile and manager to carry it off but have a very tricky path in Ulster. An early exit last year did them no harm but I have a feeling they would like to do it this year by winning Ulster. In my eyes, the team to beat.

Kerry.
Smarting from last year and have Jack O’Connor back. Embroiled in a lot of controversy last summer – most unKerry-like – and it didn’t do them any favours. Will have Tyrone – and only Tyrone – in their sights. For this reason I see Cork taking them in Munster but Kerry will be at peak around QF time. Very strong panel but still have an Achilles heel at full back. O’Connor will be tactically more shrewd than O’Shea. Could be a repeat final if the two avoid each other.

Next best - in no particular order

Dublin.
New manager – Leinster will not suffice. People say they should go back door but no Dublin team will go out to lose!! Leinster Final appearance again likely. More options than last year – mental strength still the great variable!

Derry.
Continually flatter to deceive but you would think they have to come good (Championship-wise) soon enough. I think they are still overly reliant on Paddy Bradley and would question their temperament and ability to deal with the big late July / August dates in Croke Park. Also have nasty draw in Ulster. I think they will be in the qualifiers relatively early and then it’s in the lap of the gods.

Armagh.
Loty of rumbling about management in the Orchard. Loss of Charlie Vernon and retirements have been big blows – not what you want facing into a game with Tyrone. I expect Tyrone to prevail and Armagh to be in the minefield of the qualifiers from Round 1.

Monaghan.
Another disappointing finish to league campaign. Also in sticky half of draw and as I see Tyrone coming through then Monaghan will also be in the qualifiers – then it’s the luck of the draw. If they avoid toughies they are capable of arriving at QFs.

Cork
Quietly motoring along and Counihan knows his stuff! I think Munster is well within their grasp and they are building a winning mentality. Strong backline and midfield - if their forwards can show a little consistency who knows!

Galway
Jeckyl and Hyde – threw away a League Final – on purpose? Seem capable of beating anyone on their day yet they were still a bit adrift of Kerry last year despite playing really well. Expect them to get to QFs – by either front door or back door.

Mayo
Similar to Galway and have a couple of new young lads coming along. Also expect to see them in the QFs – whether they win Connaught or not!

Teams I Can't See Having an Impact

Donegal
Same old story – handy side of draw but inconsistent and a little flakey.

Down
Coulter injury is a worry – not strong enough for Ulster and they have not impressed in the qualifiers either.

Fermanagh
If you can’t score you are in deep trouble…….

Laois
Not a bad League but nowhere near Championship challenging standard.

Meath.
Still a very average side – and may be in the backdoor immediately.

Westmeath
See Fermanagh above.

WexfordWill need a Jason Ryan miracle to match last year’s achievements.

Possible Shock Jockeys

Kildare
Definitely making progress. In a weak province and could easily find themselves in a Leinster Final.

Tipperary
If they overcome Limerick could find themselves in a Munster Final!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!! Empty Re: All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!!

Post  rich dublin Fri May 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Agree on most points there Jayo, would love to see a situation where you had a 1/4 final draw with, Kerry, tyrone, dublin and galway all avoiding eachother, can you imagne the quality of the football in the semi-finals then????

Out side that four i personally dont see anybody eles challenging them, |Cork are the obvious team that could but time and time again they flatter to decieve as does dublin but there is more talent in this dublin team and croker is worth 3-4 points agame to them, when you consider most championship matches will be won by 1-12 this year thats only a small number more needed for them to win.

Dont think Mayo have much in them this year IMO, Nothing much eles in Leinster bar Kildare and we really dont know much about them at all so ill leave judgement on them till alittle into the championship.

Ulster!!!! god how to predict what will happen here???
Derry are the one form team in Ulster but im still unsure as to if they are good enough, winning Ulster would be a huge step forward for them dont think they will win Sam this year but they are getting close all the time.

Donegal would not rate them much to be honest but on there day they could beat anyone aloso they could lose to anyone so who knows!!

Monaghan sorry MMM and all but i just dont think they have it in them, they remind me so much of Sligo when the backdoor came in, played teams off the park, beat mayo, tyrone and drew with armagh where so close so many times, but that was just it they where " so close" never quiet did it with that team. think Monaghan need the break through soon, if they do they will be very hard beat.

Armagh, still got chances and will be dangerous but with all the players that have gone can they come back???

prediction based on teams avoiding eachother

semi-finalists

Kerry
Tyrone
Dublin
Galway
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!! Empty Re: All Ireland Championship - serious analysts only!!

Post  bocerty Fri May 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Will have Tyrone – and only Tyrone in their sights

Jayo - i have to say thats a great piece of analysis there - i have been doing quite a bit of thinking lately about this years championship and if i didnt know any better i'd think you were reading my mind Very Happy

I think the biggest threat to Kerry this year is themselves - the quote from your good self at the top of this thread i think will be Kerrys downfall. The return of O'Connor is for one reason and one reason only, to beat Tyrone. I think this has brought some unexpected pressure on Kerry and its all coming from within their own county and that can be a bad thing. The league game in Omagh gave me an insight into the pressure O' Connr has put on himself - by getting involved in the melee at the end i think he gave his hand away to all in sundry and from there on i think it was advantage Tyrone.

As you quite rightly say mental strength is almost as important as playing ability and Tyrone have that in abundance, Kerry have it as well but put a Tyrone team in front of them and they could crumble again. Kerry are so determined to beat Tyrone that if they were to meet Tyrone early on in the championship and beat them i would suspect they could easily drop their guard having got a monkey of their back so to speak and slip up against one of the lesser teams.

Cork are no doubt a team who could win the All Ireland and are many peoples third choice, they are a big physical side and on their day can mix it with the best, however they have a tendency to wilt when the heat rises.

Armagh are a dangerous proposition - everyone is writing them off and there is no pressure so they could surprise a few but they have lost more players than they have gained and i'm afraid it's going to be a short championship for them

Monaghan - its all or nothing time for them - they have been knocking on the door for a few years - should they lose to Derry i think the heads will go down and they will get beat again early on in the qualifiers - beat Derry and a Q/F is possible.

Derry - up until this year they remind me of Tyrone before Mickey took over - great talent in the squad and on their day capable of beating anyone however they are also capable of getting beat by anyone. I think Cassidy is a different proposition as far as management is concerned - if plan A does not work rest assured he will have a plan B, C and D if necessary. He will have Derry in the right frame of mind and I really think an Ulster title is withing their grasp. Problem is if they make the breakthrough in Ulster will they settle for that or look for bigger fish to fry?

Dublin - the great enigma - fantastic players and support, head and shoulders above everything in Leinster but under Caffrey never beat a team outside Leinster in championship if they were to get over that hurdle this year it's anyone's guess how far they could do. Gilroy was a surprise choice as manager so it will be interesting to see what they bring to the table this year. Could win it with a bit of luck.

Kildare - so far seem to progressing nicely under Geezer - could be the Dubs biggest threat in Leinster and are my dark horses this year to do a Wexford and make it to the semi's.

Galway - who knows can blow hot and cold on any given day outstanding forwards who on their day can destroy any defence - i just think the big teams will have a game plan sorted for them.

Last four Tyrone Cork Dublin and Kildare
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm

I agree with what you all say about Derry, especialyl Boc I think they are for Ulster this year and anything else is a bonus, they have potential to make 1/4 or semis but might not have enough fuel in the tank to go further. But never say never i have a funny feeling Derry will knock Tyrone out or Tyrone will knock us out, I hope we do meet though either in Ulster or AI. Can beat Derry Tyrone matches for intensity!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Be amazed if Dublin beat Meath. I am blue in the face saying it.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri May 15, 2009 7:31 pm

prepare to be amazed then Loyal Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 pm

blue in the face saying it

Getting the Dublin facepaints on already for your inevitable defeat then.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 pm

At least I'm not a Derry or Liverpool supporter. Why do you support all the losers, Niamhy?

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Slegging aside, with hand on heart you couldn't really as a serious analyst say that Tyrone last year were anything special.

And yet they won the title. They hung around long enough, got a boost from beating a poor Dublin, faced Wexford in the semi, and then did enough in the final to beat a Kerry side who probably beat themselves to an extent.

So Tyrone won out, congrats to them and all that, but not a serious side, compared to 2005 even. Lest we forget, no-one bar Liam Hayes rated them last June.

However with O'Neill back, possibly Mugsy improved, and maybe McGuigan, well it would certainly increase their number of talented individuals, without disrupting the team effort. In theory then they would be a much better side this year.

So we should be asking who can beat an improved Tyrone?

A Kerry team showing some intelligence by playing the ball on the ground when attacking, a tactic that worked in 2005 until they abandoned it after 15 minutes, would be the most likely threat.

Meath could beat Tyrone if they met them, which may be unlikely, Derry on a good day, and Galway, Cork or Mayo on a very good day.

The Dubs on a run must be considered but they need to dispel all the doubts they carried into last years game with Tyrone.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 am

Dublin - Bidding for a fifth Leinster but as with the past 2-3 years, another Leinster is nothing in comparsion to All-Ireland glory, arguably gone backways under Gilroy and crunch first round tie with Meath who pushed them all the way in 07 will be priorty number one. Arch rivals should get one over on them again.

Tyrone - Got in for a soft enough All-Ireland in 08 after avoiding all the big teams until the final where they delivered. Fortune may not be on their side this year and with the draw in Ulster, qualifiers could beckon again with a view to coming good again in late August. May, however find a few teams too strong.

Cork - Croker Park been their achilles heal these last few years but still remain the second best around despite being Kerry's bridesmaid on so many times. In Goulding, they may have that forward they so badly need and if they do lose, it certainly won't be through lack of a defence or midfield. If I were a betting man, this would be the team I'd be backing.

Derry - Won the league last year but couldn't transform that to the Championship and being somewhat of a Cinderella team in past years. Have Monaghan first up, the team a lot in Ulster would have wanted to want to avoid and I could see the Farney eating a team like Derry alive. Capable of causing a shock but couldn't see them beating any of the big teams in Croker.

Kerry - As usual, the team to beat, but by no means unbeatable, injuries haven't helped their cause and Cork are value to catch them on the hop for the third time in four years down South. Always come good at the right time and expect it to be deja vu all over again, but failed when faced with the might of Tyrone and no reason why that won't happen again.

Meath - Mixed messages after an indifferent league campaign and an injury and suspension ravaged campaign a year ago but confidence is high that they will beat the Dubs, wide open spaces of Croker is worth 4 or 5 points to them so a run in Leinster is highly probable. Fear is that if they get beat games down the country won't play to their strengths.

Armagh - Possibly a case of a team living on past reputation but their record in Ulster over the last 10 years speaks for itself, the sort of team everyone will still like to avoid but probably wouldn't fear. No great shock if they beat Tyrone in first round.

Monaghan - The perennial underachievers in Ulster. Been unfortunate in past seasons with the cards they've been dealt but always perform admirably, good League campaign will have them fired up for the real stuff and I expect them to come out all guns a blazing against Derry.

Kildare - Apparantly Leinster's great white hope - no pun intended - for the forthcoming season but a great deal more on their plate after a few soft victories over Wexford, Fermanagh and Laois with Monaghan thrown in there for good measure, still nothing special and be a massive surprise if they had a say in the destination of Sam.

Mayo - Again a mixed league campaign but O'Mahony will have to be happy enough with the progress in their bid to bounce back as major All-Ireland contenders, like a few others, capable of beating anyone on their day but similarly like a lot of Mayo teams, capable of collapsing at any stage and not a team you could trust to go the whole way.

Cavan - Its a massive pity there backs are so bad because from 8-15, they are explosive, couple of new faces - stars in the making - in there to compliment the likes of Cullivan, Galligan, Pierson, Lyng, Johnston and Flanagan, sort out the backs and they are massive contenders not only in Ulster but in the race for Sam.

Galway - Connacht will be their main aim for now but have to turn around a 1 point League deficit with Mayo, a game that was played in Tuam, so surely are playing catch up with Mayo already, devoid of anything that even resembles a half decent midfielder these days and no All-Ireland contenders.

Westmeath - Awful League campaign was only made worse by the walkout of Glennon but still value to cause a shock in Leinster. Waiting in the wings for Meath or Dublin and their preference would have to be the Dubs considering they've never beaten Meath in the championship, return of Wilson and Dolan will help their cause no end and certainly no no-hopers.

Donegal - Keep hearing they are in the right side of the draw in Ulster but even so, that dosen't gaurantee a place in the Ulster final as Cavan, Down, Antrim and Fermanagh still stand in their way, wouldn't know what they could they do but return of Lacey a massive boost and if they were on a few going days, possible outsiders for Sam.

Louth - Leinster is a realsitic goal for them given how the draw has worked in their favour but possibly a level or so below the best in that province. Still, wouldn't be at all confident if we met them in a Leinster final, even so a decent run in the qualifiers could beckon and definite pretensions to reach the last eight.

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Sat May 16, 2009 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 am

Patrique and Loyal - good posts there.

The 'old' GAA championship was a knockout - lose and you're gone - but not now.

The most salient lesson I have learned re 'form' was in 2001 when I watched a rampant Meath team (arguably the best performance I have seen in Croke Park) dismantle the kings - Kerry.

Then they lost the Final! I was disgusted - for them! It taught me that any team can win on its day - with everything going for them.

Tyrone v Dubs last August were awesome - and they carried that form (mostly) through to the 3rd Sunday - and thats what its all about!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat May 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Great post JC, and I'd agree with most of it. My take is...

Tyrone
Look better at this point than they did last year. Given the amount of big names that will be in the qualifiers by the end of June, I think Harte would like to win Ulster this year, although he also won't want the side to be at 100% sharpness too early either. Obviously I'm biased, but I think that Tyrone are the team to beat. The squad is stronger than last year, and a fit O'Neill and Mulligan would really add to the scoring threat. The fear, as always, would be a big strong side that we may struggle for possession against, but for me Tyrone have more options than anyone else when it comes to winning big games.

Kerry
I think Kerry may find the going tough this year. They are heading into the Cork game with a lot of injuries and without having found a convincing full-back line. Beating Cork would be a huge boost for them, but a loss and they will face a tough road through the qualifiers. Obviously they have a very strong panel and are likely to be thereabouts come August, but they need to sort out their problems in the fullback line and find the right midfield pairing if they are to regain their crown.

Cork
Cork, despite regularly the latter stages in recent years, are still something of an unknown quantity. Fortunate qtr final draws have seen them avoid Tyrone, Dublin, Armagh and Mayo, so it is hard to know exactly how good they really are. My view is that they are improving and will be strong contenders, IF they get past Kerry in Munster. They are a huge side with speed all over the field, but I have doubts over their footballing ability, and whether or not their forwards can take scores under pressure. There is also a concern that their backs may be better storming forward than defending. Still though, genuine contenders if they past Kerry in Munster.

Dublin
I think Dublin are a bit behind Tyrone, Cork and Kerry, but I would still fear them more than the likes of Derry/Mayo/Galway. A Leinster win is crucial, and likely, as I just don't see anyone with the mix of power and scoring ability to beat the there. Can they win the all-ireland? Probably not this year, but their power and pace and ability to score will trouble anyone.

Mayo
Improving, and are rarely easliy beaten these days. Parsons and Cunniffe will add strength to the spine of their side, but they still look a bit lightweight in parts. They don't have the forwards to win an all-ireland, but a Connacht championship would be seen as a success.

Galway
Leaving aside all the hype about their 'pure football', how good are they really? The defence is solid certainly, but midfield is a problem, and the attack, for all it's flair, is still very reliant on Meehan. Padraig Joyce's 30-something legs will find less and less space as the summer goes on. For all the talk of them improving, I just couldn't see them being big enough to beat the best in any of the other provinces.

Derry
I just don't get it. They won the league last year before flopping in the championship, and I haven't seen anything to make me think that this year won't be the same. They are hugely reliant on Paddy Bradley and Fergal Doherty, and I don't see too much flair in the attack. Cassidy is a good manager, but he doesn't have the forwards to win an all-ireland. An Ulster title would be a very good campaign.

Monaghan
I was surprised at how poor they were against Cork, and I think Banty was too, judging by his post-match interview. This is their last chance to make a major breakthrough with this side, as you can only keep going without success for so long. They are strong, organised and hit very hard, and they could certainly beat Derry or Armagh. A handful for anyone, but lack consistent support for Freeman.

Armagh
Clarke and McDonnell are still a frightening proposition but, leaving that aside, this is a very raw team. They have some good defenders (Mallon, McKeever, Kernan), but yet the defence still doesn't look solid. Hard to see them winning Ulster again - best chance is a run in the qualifiers.

Kildare
The only side in Leinster that I could see troubling Dublin. Big and strong and will be well organised, but they won't outscore Dublin in Croke Pk. Won't beat anyone easliy, and will need a lot of luck to repeat last year's qtr final place.

Meath
Will put it up to Dublin for a bit, but they have too many average players to go far. A fit Shane O'Rourke would have made them a much tougher prospect.

Donegal
Will do well to make an Ulster final, despite being on the easier half of the draw. Nowhere near as strong as 3-4 years ago.

Fermanagh
As Jayo said, if you can't score, you can't win. Without Owens & McCloskey they will do well to beat Down.

Down
Fast and adventurous, and lacking in anything resembling a defence. They may have some high points, but the fall, when it comes, is likely to be ugly

Well, that is my take, but we are sure to have some great football this summer. Lot of good sides and a lot of others improving - should be the best championship since 2005.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Sorry had to comment on this TC.

Derry
I just don't get it. They won the league last year before flopping in the championship, and I haven't seen anything to make me think that this year won't be the same. They are hugely reliant on Paddy Bradley and Fergal Doherty, and I don't see too much flair in the attack. Cassidy is a good manager, but he doesn't have the forwards to win an all-ireland. An Ulster title would be a very good campaign.

Fergal Doc missed 3 games in the league campaign that's just under half the games Derry played, yet in the 3 games he missed; Tyrone, Galway and Donegal Derry controlled midfield, so if Doc is missing Patsy Bradley and Enda Muldoon can more than make up for it.

As for Paddy Bradley he came on as a sub in Mayo game but didn't score, only scored a point in the Westmeath game where Derry amassed 1-17 from 8 scorers (including PB), Missed first Kerry game, 4 points in Dublin game from a total of 20 (coming from 7 scorers), admittedly scored nearly half Derry's scores v Galway but still 4 other Derry players scored, also against Tyrone he got just under half Derry's over all scores, against Donegal he was missing Derry scored 15 points. In final it could be argued PB would have been better off, after his concussion in 1st half it was evident he wasn't fit to contine but he came back on anyway, scored just 2 points.

Derry's top league scorers

Paddy Bradley 0-20
Eoin Bradley 0-18
James Kielt 1-12
Barry Mc Goldrick 0-8 (Also he is a defender)
Enda Muldoon 0-7
Mark Lynch 0-7

Overall they had 20 different scorers of a tally of 2-95

I think you are being very harsh and a little over critical of Derry, it's very lazy analysis of Derry to say they rely alot on PB and Doc but when you look at the stats is very much untrue. (Much like how people say Armagh are an old team but when you look at the stats they aren't)

I'm not saying Derry have the best forwards in the country or anything but Lynch, Kielt and the 2 Bradleys would be there or there abouts for alot of teams in the country. As I have shown it has been proven in the league Derry can have 6 or 7 scorers in a game with players like Muldoon, Murphy, Lynn etc chipping in a point or two (arguabley should be a lot more considering they are forwards) as well as 4 defenders scoring on a regular basis, G O Kane, Cartin, B and SL mc Goldrick.

In my opinion when PB is playing Derry rely on him, but when he isn't they use plan B and score themselves, they are all capable of it as I have showed in the stats, Derry as a team don't rely on PB but when he's playing they often revert to type and pass everything to him. Eoin has recently steped out of Paddys shadow and has shown himself as a player able to eclipse his Brother. Yes Derry may use PB alot, but Kerry rely alot of Gooch, Galway Meehan, Monaghan Freeman, Armagh Mc Donnell, Dublin Brogan etc. No team in the country has 6 star forwards, they usually have one star forward a couple of good ones and the rest average. Notably I didn't add Tyrone in the above list as I can't think of one Tyrone player who stands out above the rest as a key scorer, they have scorers who shine at different times, SON, Dooher, Mc Guigan, Cavanagh etc (argubaly Cavanagh when it matters) but the thing I admire about Tyrone is the fact they work as a unit and this imo is what makes them the best in the country.

I think the weaknesses in the Derry forwards are the higher number of left footed players, PB is excellent on both but left comes most natural, the comeback of Mark Lynch regains the balance again. Another worrying fact is that in Derry's last 6 league games they failed to score any goals I know they say take your points and the goals will come but even this is taking the piss!!

I do agree with you Derry are not ready for an AI this year (I am but!), I do think they will give Ulster a good rattle (it really depends on Tyrone(provided we get by Monaghan and Armagh don't upset the applecart!) if they start of on a slow boil as usual or of they go in like the hammers against Armagh) either way i think DC is eyeing up the Angle-Celt and anything else is a bonus, but I think Derry, Monaghan and Tyrone will be there or there abouts come August.

Doire Abú Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 8:59 pm

NiamhDerry wrote:Sorry had to comment on this TC.

Derry

Fergal Doc missed 3 games in the league campaign that's just under half the games Derry played, yet in the 3 games he missed; Tyrone, Galway and Donegal Derry controlled midfield, so if Doc is missing Patsy Bradley and Enda Muldoon can more than make up for it.

As for Paddy Bradley he came on as a sub in Mayo game but didn't score, only scored a point in the Westmeath game where Derry amassed 1-17 from 8 scorers (including PB), Missed first Kerry game, 4 points in Dublin game from a total of 20 (coming from 7 scorers), admittedly scored nearly half Derry's scores v Galway but still 4 other Derry players scored, also against Tyrone he got just under half Derry's over all scores, against Donegal he was missing Derry scored 15 points. In final it could be argued PB would have been better off, after his concussion in 1st half it was evident he wasn't fit to contine but he came back on anyway, scored just 2 points.

Derry's top league scorers

Paddy Bradley 0-20
Eoin Bradley 0-18
James Kielt 1-12
Barry Mc Goldrick 0-8 (Also he is a defender)
Enda Muldoon 0-7
Mark Lynch 0-7

Overall they had 20 different scorers of a tally of 2-95

I think you are being very harsh and a little over critical of Derry, it's very lazy analysis of Derry to say they rely alot on PB and Doc but when you look at the stats is very much untrue. (Much like how people say Armagh are an old team but when you look at the stats they aren't)

I'm not saying Derry have the best forwards in the country or anything but Lynch, Kielt and the 2 Bradleys would be there or there abouts for alot of teams in the country. As I have shown it has been proven in the league Derry can have 6 or 7 scorers in a game with players like Muldoon, Murphy, Lynn etc chipping in a point or two (arguabley should be a lot more considering they are forwards) as well as 4 defenders scoring on a regular basis, G O Kane, Cartin, B and SL mc Goldrick.

In my opinion when PB is playing Derry rely on him, but when he isn't they use plan B and score themselves, they are all capable of it as I have showed in the stats, Derry as a team don't rely on PB but when he's playing they often revert to type and pass everything to him. Eoin has recently steped out of Paddys shadow and has shown himself as a player able to eclipse his Brother. Yes Derry may use PB alot, but Kerry rely alot of Gooch, Galway Meehan, Monaghan Freeman, Armagh Mc Donnell, Dublin Brogan etc. No team in the country has 6 star forwards, they usually have one star forward a couple of good ones and the rest average. Notably I didn't add Tyrone in the above list as I can't think of one Tyrone player who stands out above the rest as a key scorer, they have scorers who shine at different times, SON, Dooher, Mc Guigan, Cavanagh etc (argubaly Cavanagh when it matters) but the thing I admire about Tyrone is the fact they work as a unit and this imo is what makes them the best in the country.

I think the weaknesses in the Derry forwards are the higher number of left footed players, PB is excellent on both but left comes most natural, the comeback of Mark Lynch regains the balance again. Another worrying fact is that in Derry's last 6 league games they failed to score any goals I know they say take your points and the goals will come but even this is taking the piss!!

I do agree with you Derry are not ready for an AI this year (I am but!), I do think they will give Ulster a good rattle (it really depends on Tyrone(provided we get by Monaghan and Armagh don't upset the applecart!) if they start of on a slow boil as usual or of they go in like the hammers against Armagh) either way i think DC is eyeing up the Angle-Celt and anything else is a bonus, but I think Derry, Monaghan and Tyrone will be there or there abouts come August.

Doire Abú Very Happy

And the funny thing is they haven't got a prayer. The Derry forwards wouldn't kick snow off a rope so how will they kick points, Niamh? Why wouldn't ya support a decent team, i.e. Meath?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 9:13 pm

What Loyal the same Meath who lost a 10 point lead in 20 minutes minutes to be beaten by Wexford? the same Meath who were anihalated by Division 3 team Limerick trailling by an incredible 20 points at one stage and registering just 3 points (as well as 4 goals but it's not soccer!) The same Meath who haven't won any form of Silverware in senior competition going on 8 years?

Maybe you forgot to attatch the prefix 'west' I mean even your neighbours have won silverware more recently than you have.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 9:15 pm

Still better than Derry............................

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat May 16, 2009 9:27 pm

thats debatable Loyal Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Still better than Derry............................

Not really, we have had more silverware than you in recent years.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat May 16, 2009 9:37 pm

And I even went to the bother of titling this one for 'serious analysts' .......... Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 9:39 pm

NiamhDerry wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Still better than Derry............................

Not really, we have had more silverware than you in recent years.

We won the old Division II a few years ago. Do you remember the u21 final in 1997 and the 2000 League final? What have both got in common?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Even still of the two Derry has had silverware (or more importance) than Meath have had, and as you are in Division 2 in the Leage and will not be fit to best Dublin in Leinster things won't be changing anytime soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:And I even went to the bother of titling this one for 'serious analysts' .......... Rolling Eyes

I was seriously analysing but I have to fight my battles!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Meath owe Derry one. Beat us in the u21 final in 97 in Clones and in 2000 League final. I'd take great pleasure in watching Meath avenge those defeats.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Meath owe Derry one. Beat us in the u21 final in 97 in Clones and in 2000 League final. I'd take great pleasure in watching Meath avenge those defeats.

Ah well you'll be waiting some while before Meath beat Derry! Only thing you're beating us in these days is the hurling!

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sat May 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Here's my take:

Tyrone
Deserve top billing being the All-Ireland champions, they will be mad for more and to finally defend their title successfully at the third attempt. The return of O'Neill is a huge plus and should he stay fit Tyrone will have be racking up even bigger scores. Then you have Mulligan in his best shape in years, and Brian McGuigan perhaps in better shape than last year, and Tyrone's forward line looks as dangerous as ever. Their brand of football is as close to "Total Football" as we have in Gaelic, with players interchanging all over the field seamlessly and scores coming from all sectors. I agree they'll be wanting to win Ulster, and not go the scenic route again, but at the end of the day they've their sights set on bigger things and they mightn't be as hungry for it as others. They'll be involved at the end, but I'm just not sure if they'll be able to retain Sam.

Kerry
Always strong contenders, and will be looking for revenge against Tyrone. Not having a good record against the O'Neill county has hurt them, and with O'Connor back in charge another Tyrone-Kerry bout should it come about would be box-office stuff. Losing so much last year was hard to take for them, and after winning the league they will be hungry for more. They stormed through that league using several different players and with several injuries over the course, a strong squad has been assembled with a good blend of the experienced and the youthful. Despite going into the championship with so many injuries I feel their squad can cope sufficiently. Even if they do slip up against Cork they'll be involved in the latter stages as usual and should have a full pick then. I just feel they've got so much quality all over the park, and they're my pick for All-Ireland winners.

Cork
Having seen them twice this year, I'm impressed. I suppose it's hard to judge them from those two games though, as they were missing a few in the first when we beat them, and in the second we just didn't look interested and let Cork steamroll through us. But I can see that they've improved regardless. A physically huge team, they must be the biggest in the country with big men in practically every position and are capable of bullying alot of teams in this regard. But they've added to that physical aspect with an end product, they've a few very good forwards there capable of finishing off the moves set up for them. Could take Munster and are the biggest threat to the Tyrone-Kerry duopoly of recent years.

Galway
They'll take Connacht I think, but not sure after that. Thought earlier in the year they'd be genuine Sam contenders but not sure now, a very hard team to judge. Capable of beating anyone on their day but if they can keep it up consistently is another thing. Semi-finalists for me.

Dublin
Will be interesting to see how they do under Gilroy. A mediocre league campaign, but several new players were used which was no doubt the main aim. A few former guaranteed starters have moved down the pecking order and now confined to the bench, Gilroy is certainly stamping his mark on the team. A first round meeting with Meath up first, could go either way for me. Win and they'll likely take Leinster again with ease, but a trip through the back door could do them the world of good. Won't win Sam but a work in progress and in a year or two will be a serious prospect.

Armagh
Another team in transition I feel, not a team of aul boys but a young team building for the future, alot of their recent minor and u-21 teams are coming through. The squad however is hit hard by injury and the retirement of several of their All-Ireland winners over the last year. Their game with Tyrone isn't as clear-cut as some think, but all things considered I can't see them turning over the AI champions. Could do damage through the back door.

Donegal
They've a big opportunity to get to an Ulster final this year, and I think they'll grab it with both hands. I had thought for a while that they'd have a good 2009 championship after the last two didn't go to plan, and with this draw they've a great chance. Could win Ulster, and will get to quarter-finals anyway I think.

Derry
Look to have strengthened the squad and got to another league final while missing players for different periods and trying out alot of players. Cassidy is a good manager, and will have the team set up well for Ulster. They'll give it a good rattle but don't have it in them for the AI yet I don't think. Give Cassidy a couple of years and they'll be strong contenders for Sam, and they'll win Ulster within the next 2 years I think(hopefully not this year!).

Monaghan
It's Ulster or bust for us this year, the team has been developing for a few years now but it's time to deliver. It's just horrible luck that it happens to be the year that we've got the worst possible draw! If we don't win Ulster it'll be Banty's last year(short of an AI final appearance which I don't see!), so the game against Derry is absolutely massive. It was a disappointing end to the league but the team looked very disinterested and I'd be hoping that next Sunday they'll look more like the team that played Laois and Cork in Scotstown! I'm confident in our ability though and sure that Banty, Marty and the lads will have the team well prepared.

Mayo
On the back of their great win over NY they'll be confident of their chances! Seriously, the could do well, but will still lose out in Connacht to Galway. A good qualifier run to Croke Park I think, after that who knows.

Meath
Think they might have a good year. Underdogs for the Dublin game but these games are always tight and Meath could just sneak it. Should they do that they'd be well placed to capture Leinster. They gave us a tough game in the league but failed to close the game out when they should have, that they'll have to improve on. But they can still be dangerous through the back door should Dublin beat them.

Kildare
Possible dark horses of 2009, and could even take Leinster with a bit of luck. Another big team, they had a good league, beating us well along the way, and were unlucky not to get promoted. The draw is kind to them in Leinster and I'd expect a provincial final at least. McGeeney will have them well-drilled and they'll be a tough opponent for most.

Wexford
Can they keep up their form of 2008? I don't think so, and they'll suffer from the dreaded "second-season syndrome" I feel. They had an atrocious league and they'll find it tough to regroup for the championship. However given the draw they'll have realistic ambitions of another Leinster final and they might have a decent year yet.

Fermanagh
As with Wexford, they've not built on last years progress and if they still haven't found a couple of decent forwards they could have a short year. I'd like to see them do well but I think a defeat to Down and an early qualifier loss beckons.

Westmeath
Another team with an awful league, can they pull it together for the championship? They've a better chance than the two above, but I still don't see them being contenders, they have a solid defence but lack the forwards to win major honours.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next