GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allianz NFL 2014

+9
Loyal2TheRoyal
champers
bald eagle
bocerty
Boxtyeater
samin12
RMDrive
Gaa_lover
Thomas Clarke
13 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Allianz NFL 2014 - Page 4 Empty Re: Allianz NFL 2014

Post  Armaghgeddon Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Only managed to watch a few games this weekend. Derry are looking to be in good shape, always looked comfortable against Dublin and they have been racking up some pretty impressive scores. At the moment, they are the team looking the most likely to win Ulster.

Armaghgeddon
Armaghgeddon
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Armaghgeddon wrote:Derry are looking to be in good shape, always looked comfortable against Dublin and they have been racking up some pretty impressive scores. At the moment, they are the team looking the most likely to win Ulster.

Indeed they are, if you discount Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:53 am

Promotion from div 2 is between Down,Monaghan,Donegal i suppose Monaghan is the one surprise they were div 3 level last spring and they aren't finding the so called higher level to be a step up.

Louth look as good as relegated and Galway or Laois will follow them. The true test of Derry will be in the semi finals. Though i still think its silly to have semi finals for a group of eight.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:04 am

Good win for Meath last night. Down led for most of a scrappy game, but Meath took over in the last 15 minutes, probably due to Ambrose Rodgers tiredness enforced substitution.

Meath were obviously without cruciate victim Eamon Wallace, but also lost Michael Newman early on. They relied on an improved performance from Stephen Bray at FF, and good showings from the likes of Shane O'Rourke and Donal Keoghan.

It's hard to see either of these sides doing much this summer. I've seen Down a couple of times now, and have been far from impressed, so much so that I was shocked to see all bar one poster tip them in the competition. They have nice skills and a few good players, but have a lot of passengers too. They also have a frustrating propensity for moving the ball backwards.

Meath's size was the difference last night, but their lack of basic skills or a clear gameplan would be a worry.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 am

I really enjoyed the Dublin and Mayo game.  It was very scrappy in parts, though that was largely due to the frenetic pace at this time of year.  

Though they hung on for a draw, this will be a blow for Mayo.  They were almost at full strength and a man up after half an hour.  They also pulled 5 points clear a couple of times, yet still couldn't close it out.  I felt that they panicked almost as soon as Cluxton was sent off, pressurising themselves into playing the game much faster than it needed to be.  Their lack of a class really showed in this regard, with nobody just to settle them down and pick a vulnerable side apart.

Mayo have good backs, though the lack of support they have received this spring has left them vulnerable.  Aidan O'Shea was the dominant midfielder on view, and his withdrawal (tired/injured?) enabled the Dubs to secure a final, crucial foothold.  Andy Moran started brightly but quickly faded - last night was his 111th game for Mayo, and his legs just don't have it anymore.  Their bigger men in attack - O'Connor, Freeman and Doherty -  don't play like big men.  

Mayo have enough powerful players to be in the mix again this summer, particularly in the middle third, but overall they don't look to have improved from last year.

Dublin snatched a barely probable draw, and could have won it but for Jack McCaffrey's poor last kick.  They were more solid than I've seen them in the FB line, though that may have been down to the forwards they were marking.  Their midfield was pretty non-existent, and MDMA continues to under-perform.  Up front, though, they continue to create chances with ease.  Alan Brogan looked much more like the old Alan Brogan in the early period and, though he faded, he'll have been very pleased with his night.  McMenamin and Costello always looked dangerous, while O'Gara was superb when he came on.

Cluxton showed that, though you can control a bad-temper most of the time, occasionally it will flare up.  His kick was stupid and irresponsible, and he seemed to walk off down the tunnel after his red card.  Petty show from the captain on a night when his kickouts were poor and he should have done better for McLoughlin's goal.  His replacement in goals was awful - whatever happened to Shane Supple?

Gavin got the reshuffle spot on at half-time.  He brought on McCaffrey and Deveraux for their ability to cover ground and, such was the pace and mobility in the Dublin side, they were able to hang in there.  All of their goals were top quality, though Rob Hennelly was badly out of place for McMenamin's.

Dublin showed a lot of heart to get something out of a game that for long periods looked beyond them.  MDMA's form will be a worry, and they will need Cluxton back and focused for the summer.  However, it's a long time since a side looked such a sure bet to retain the AI title at this time of the year.

(It was disappointing to see Jason Whelan back playing a couple of months after the biting incident.  Given that he isn't very good and is therefore expendable, I felt that he would have been a prime candidate for being dropped from the panel.  I think that Gavin missed a trick here.)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Dublin a sure bet for an All-Ireland I think not. The 3 top teams they've played, they've failed to win. I've no doubt with a semi-final place on the line in Omagh, Tyrone will beat them next weekend consigning Dublin to a place above the relegated teams (Assuming Kerry beat Cork which is a fair assumption).

There's a lot of Leinster teams looking at Dublin's form and looking forward to the summer ahead. They are vulnerable make no mistake about it.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
There's a lot of Leinster teams looking at Dublin's form and looking forward to the summer ahead. They are vulnerable make no mistake about it.

Who isn't vulnerable, though?  Donegal, Tyrone, Mayo, Cork, Kerry - all of those sides are riddled with question marks.  Dublin, while they have some problems, have far fewer than anyone else.

And there is nobody in Leinster who will compete with them as, Meath aside, they are all afraid of Dublin (and Meath, while not scared, are just too limited to beat them).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Agreed Dublin don't look to be sure things for an All-Ireland. Against what I would term a moderate (at best) set of forwards who were bereft of any type of penetrative gameplan they conceded a cricket score last night.

On the Leinster issue, the only fox that may creep into the henhouse are yourselves. Meath fielded a very strong experienced team last night against a normally dogged Down outfit and got the result. There are 2 quandaries outstanding: i). Can Meath improve and match Dublin for 75 minutes in high Summer and ii). Are Dublin suffering from burnout/fatigue?

You seem to be exuding a mild belief that Meath can "do something" come Summer. I hope you're right, because there isn't anything else in Leinster to trouble Dublin, but having €100 on the Dubs for Sam wouldn't be one I'd be having at this point.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Agreed Dublin don't look to be sure things for an All-Ireland. Against what I would term a moderate (at best) set of forwards who were bereft of any type of penetrative gameplan they conceded a cricket score last night.

Everyone is conceding a cricket score in division 1, Boxty. 16-17 points is no longer enough to win games among the top half dozen sides. Division 2 seems a bit more defensively oriented, but the top sides are cutting each other to ribbons every week. Everyone in Tyrone is worried about our full-back line, but then so is everyone in Kildare, Dublin, Cork, Mayo etc… The game has changed and it is shootout football, and the Dubs have the more firepower.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:  The game has changed and it is shootout football, and the Dubs have the more firepower.

I may have 40 years on you (or more) but i'm never one to deny excellence. Coney was outstanding in the
1st. 35 minutes today, effortless bisection of the sticks. That's my type of game, ye're either able to or not.

So what if it's shootout, you gotta get it to kick it.....It's called the "Frank McGuigan syndrome"
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
So what if it's shootout, you gotta get it to kick it.....It's called the "Frank McGuigan syndrome"

Ah, The King. As naturally talented as, well, anyone.

Yeah, the getting it part is what will finish Tyrone at some point, and could also prove Dublin's undoing. And then for others, like Mayo and Cork, the problems all start when they have it.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:

Ah, The King.  As naturally talented as, well, anyone.

Yeah, the getting it part is what will finish Tyrone at some point, and could also prove Dublin's undoing.  And then for others, like Mayo and Cork, the problems all start when they have it.  

I'd hate to be the one to put the last nail in the coffin, but that's it in a nutshell. The summer of free-scoring forwards, rampaging half-backs posting 3 points a game...Wahey!!
Bocerty will be in an hoop with the Tipster comp and we'll be enjoying 40sh point games. Possession, fluency and accuracy will once again dominate......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:39 am

Little early to judge on what will happen come summer time however if the game has become a shootout where does that leave Mayo who's improvement is based on a solid defensive system with good footballers (Keegan,Boyle,Higgins) driving them forward. Donegal have Murphy,McFadden,Paddy McBrearty to win shootouts against most of the div 2,3 sides however without their strong defence of 2011,2012 they wouldn't have got as far as they did.

The high scoring football is probably more aesthetically pleasing to the neutral eye however with so few outstanding teams about and the art of defending becoming a thing of the past will the overall quality become less by the year?

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:24 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I really enjoyed the Dublin and Mayo game.  It was very scrappy in parts, though that was largely due to the frenetic pace at this time of year.  

Though they hung on for a draw, this will be a blow for Mayo.  They were almost at full strength and a man up after half an hour.  They also pulled 5 points clear a couple of times, yet still couldn't close it out.  I felt that they panicked almost as soon as Cluxton was sent off, pressurising themselves into playing the game much faster than it needed to be.  Their lack of a class really showed in this regard, with nobody just to settle them down and pick a vulnerable side apart.

Mayo have good backs, though the lack of support they have received this spring has left them vulnerable.  Aidan O'Shea was the dominant midfielder on view, and his withdrawal (tired/injured?) enabled the Dubs to secure a final, crucial foothold.  Andy Moran started brightly but quickly faded - last night was his 111th game for Mayo, and his legs just don't have it anymore.  Their bigger men in attack - O'Connor, Freeman and Doherty -  don't play like big men.  

Mayo have enough powerful players to be in the mix again this summer, particularly in the middle third, but overall they don't look to have improved from last year.

Dublin snatched a barely probable draw, and could have won it but for Jack McCaffrey's poor last kick.  They were more solid than I've seen them in the FB line, though that may have been down to the forwards they were marking.  Their midfield was pretty non-existent, and MDMA continues to under-perform.  Up front, though, they continue to create chances with ease.  Alan Brogan looked much more like the old Alan Brogan in the early period and, though he faded, he'll have been very pleased with his night.  McMenamin and Costello always looked dangerous, while O'Gara was superb when he came on.

Cluxton showed that, though you can control a bad-temper most of the time, occasionally it will flare up.  His kick was stupid and irresponsible, and he seemed to walk off down the tunnel after his red card.  Petty show from the captain on a night when his kickouts were poor and he should have done better for McLoughlin's goal.  His replacement in goals was awful - whatever happened to Shane Supple?

Gavin got the reshuffle spot on at half-time.  He brought on McCaffrey and Deveraux for their ability to cover ground and, such was the pace and mobility in the Dublin side, they were able to hang in there.  All of their goals were top quality, though Rob Hennelly was badly out of place for McMenamin's.

Dublin showed a lot of heart to get something out of a game that for long periods looked beyond them.  MDMA's form will be a worry, and they will need Cluxton back and focused for the summer.  However, it's a long time since a side looked such a sure bet to retain the AI title at this time of the year.

(It was disappointing to see Jason Whelan back playing a couple of months after the biting incident.  Given that he isn't very good and is therefore expendable, I felt that he would have been a prime candidate for being dropped from the panel.  I think that Gavin missed a trick here.)

Their lack of a class really showed in this regard, with nobody just to settle them down and pick a vulnerable side apart.

Vulnerable side Dublin don't do panic even with 14 men we should have being home and dry,we are divinely the best 14 man team on this island,Dublin always decide who the freeman will be.you got McCaffrey and Deveraux spot on was a good move by jim Deveraux is a very under rated player but always puts in a good shift

Supple has left the panel long time a go,currie made a few mistakes im sure the shock of seeing cluxton walking off played a part is kick outs were quiet good bar the one to carroll ,he should start sunday

Looking forward to sundays game should be interesting hopefully gormley picks up alan 2 old stagers going head to head.

If Tyrone can beat Dublin your in the melting pot ,if not bye bye

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:38 pm

champers wrote:
Looking forward to sundays game should be interesting hopefully gormley picks up alan 2 old stagers going head to head.
Sorry to disappoint you, Champers, but I doubt that Gormley will be on Alan Brogan. If he starts, it will be at corner back but, more than likely, you'll have to wait until about 50 minutes to see the great man.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Plenty to play for on Sunday, survival, promotion, pride etc.,

Allianz FL1 P W D L Dif Pts

Cork 6 4 1 1 8 9
Derry 6 4 1 1 25 9
Tyrone 6 3 2 1 6 8
Mayo 6 3 1 2 7 7
Dublin 6 3 1 2 7 7
Kerry 6 3 0 3 21 6
Kildare 6 1 0 5 -22 2
Westmeath 6 0 0 6 -52 0

Allianz FL2 P W D L Dif Pts

Donegal 6 4 1 1 31 9
Monaghan 6 4 1 1 28 9
Meath 6 3 1 2 -6 7
Down 6 3 1 2 13 7
Galway 6 2 1 3 -15 5
Armagh 6 2 1 3 -4 5
Laois 6 2 0 4 -11 4
Louth 6 0 2 4 -36 2

Allianz FL3 P W D L Dif Pts

Cavan 6 6 0 0 27 12
Roscommon 6 5 0 1 40 10
Fermanagh 6 3 0 3 15 6
Sligo 6 3 0 3 -8 6
Limerick 6 3 0 3 -14 6
Longford 6 2 0 4 -6 4
Wexford 6 2 0 4 -16 4
Offaly 6 0 0 6 -38 0

Allianz FL4 P W D L Dif Pts

Tipperary 6 5 1 0 56 11
Clare 6 4 1 1 34 9
Wicklow 6 4 0 2 18 8
Leitrim 6 3 1 2 3 7
Antrim 6 2 0 4 11 4
Waterford 6 1 1 4 -31 3
London 6 1 1 4 -36 3
Carlow 6 1 1 4 -55 3

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you, Champers, but I doubt that Gormley will be on Alan Brogan.  If he starts, it will be at corner back but, more than likely, you'll have to wait until about 50 minutes to see the great man.

I will hazard a guess that Tyrone will play close to Dublin's full compliment on sunday could be a long day,brogan will head to the corner if he sees gormley the man with no pace easy .

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:16 am

Allowing for any unforeseen injuries, Tyrone will play the same side as against Cork, with 3 possible exceptions:

1) Ryan McKenna was destroyed at corner-back. Again. He should not be starting on Sunday.

2) Conor Clarke missed out due to injury and, if recovered, should return for Tiernan McCann at RHB.

3) Darren McCurry was obviously concussed before half-time, yet somehow managed to start the second half, wander around aimlessly for 10 minutes before kicking a 14 yd free wide from straight in front of the goals. It is very poor medical work that he took the field for the 2nd half last Sunday, and he should not be starting this week.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Allowing for any unforeseen injuries, Tyrone will play the same side as against Cork, with 3 possible exceptions:

1)  Ryan McKenna was destroyed at corner-back.  Again.  He should not be starting on Sunday.  

2)  Conor Clarke missed out due to injury and, if recovered, should return for Tiernan McCann at RHB.

3)  Darren McCurry was obviously concussed before half-time, yet somehow managed to start the second half, wander around aimlessly for 10 minutes before kicking a 14 yd free wide from straight in front of the goals.  It is very poor medical work that he took the field for the 2nd half last Sunday, and he should not be starting this week.

Mccurry will be a bis loss for tyrone he seems to like playing the Dubs.sean cavanagh looks like he has lost a bit of pace to he will need to find an extra gear for sunday.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 am

champers wrote:
Mccurry will be a bis loss for tyrone he seems to like playing the Dubs.sean cavanagh looks like he has lost a bit of pace to he will need to find an extra gear for sunday.

I'm pretty sure that McCurry has never played against Dublin at any level - maybe you are thinking of McAliskey who hit 0-3 in the league final?

Cavanagh doesn't have the acceleration just now, but I'd imagine that this is due to missing all winter with a groin injury (his first start of the year was in March). I'd like to think that the speed will return as the year goes on, as without it he is a shadow of the player he was last year.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:32 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:

I'm pretty sure that McCurry has never played against Dublin at any level - maybe you are thinking of McAliskey who hit 0-3 in the league final?

Cavanagh doesn't have the acceleration just now, but I'd imagine that this is due to missing all winter with a groin injury (his first start of the year was in March).  I'd like to think that the speed will return as the year goes on, as without it he is a shadow of the player he was last year.

Mcaliskey is the one ok he was playing well last year,Mccurry was a late sub in the league final i think he improved as the year went on.Will be intereseting to see how strong a team gavin puts out with the U21 should all be available,Flynn and cluxton are the only ones to miss out i believe,bernard should at least make the bench.
Wonder would mickey harte would have preferred to play Dublin at the start of the league rather than the end?

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
3)  Darren McCurry was obviously concussed before half-time, yet somehow managed to start the second half, wander around aimlessly for 10 minutes before kicking a 14 yd free wide from straight in front of the goals.  It is very poor medical work that he took the field for the 2nd half last Sunday, and he should not be starting this week.

Reminds me of the tale about John O'Keeffe back in the day. He got a hoor of a belt early on and was clearly shook. The selectors approached Micko saying that O'Keeffe should be taken off, as he didn't remember much of what had happened in the 1st. half:

Yerrah! He'll see it on telly tonight, he's grand.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Tyrone (NFL v Dublin) - Niall Morgan; Aidan McCrory, Ronan McNamee, Ryan McKenna; Ciaran McGinley, Mattie Donnelly, Peter Harte; Colm Cavanagh, Sean Cavanagh; Emmett McKenna, Shea McGuigan, Mark Donnelly; Darren McCurry, Kyle Coney, Connor McAliskey.

Subs: Michael O'Neill, Kevin Gallagher, Conor Gormley, Conan Grugan, Peter Hughes, PJ Lavery, Danny McBride, Niall McKenna, Patrick McNeice, Ronan O'Neill, Martin Penrose.

If Mccurry was concussed i thought you were out for 3 weeks?

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:22 pm

champers wrote:Tyrone (NFL v Dublin) - Niall Morgan; Aidan McCrory, Ronan McNamee, Ryan McKenna; Ciaran McGinley, Mattie Donnelly, Peter Harte; Colm Cavanagh, Sean Cavanagh; Emmett McKenna, Shea McGuigan, Mark Donnelly; Darren McCurry, Kyle Coney, Connor McAliskey.

Subs: Michael O'Neill, Kevin Gallagher, Conor Gormley, Conan Grugan, Peter Hughes, PJ Lavery, Danny McBride, Niall McKenna, Patrick McNeice, Ronan O'Neill, Martin Penrose.

Ouch.  Weak side.  Neither Ryan McKenna nor his brother are good enough (Emmet is too light - maybe next year).  I'd be concerned.

Ryan McKenna was giving the mother of all roastings against Cork, and was almost as bad against Westmeath.  Aidan McCrory was little better.  PJ Quinn and Dermie Carlin must be wondering what they've done to offend Mickey. Barry Tierney too deserves another chance.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:Tyrone (NFL v Dublin) - Niall Morgan; Aidan McCrory, Ronan McNamee, Ryan McKenna; Ciaran McGinley, Mattie Donnelly, Peter Harte; Colm Cavanagh, Sean Cavanagh; Emmett McKenna, Shea McGuigan, Mark Donnelly; Darren McCurry, Kyle Coney, Connor McAliskey.

Ouch.  Weak side.  Neither Ryan McKenna nor his brother are good enough (Emmet is too light - maybe next year).  I'd be concerned.

Ryan McKenna was giving the mother of all roastings against Cork, and was almost as bad against Westmeath.  Aidan McCrory was little better.  PJ Quinn and Dermie Carlin must be wondering what they've done to offend Mickey.  Barry Tierney too deserves another chance.

Maybe that team won't start, full forward line looks dangerous if you can get the ball into them,midfield lacks pace but if gavin gives brady another shot there its =

They must be showing something in training to be named in the starting line up,sundays game will be like a championship game on your own ground no better place to find out who is up to it.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next