GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim 2014 - all matters of relevance here.

+3
bald eagle
Thomas Clarke
Boxtyeater
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Leitrim 2014 - all matters of relevance here. - Page 4 Empty Re: Leitrim 2014 - all matters of relevance here.

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:19 pm

I remember it well, as it was the third in a trio of never-before-and-never-since moments, following fellow minnows Clare (1992) and Derry (1993) into the limelight, before all three quickly withdrew once more to the shadows, in Derry's case seemingly permanently.

Of the 3, Leitrim's victory was the most heartwarming. Like their thuggish hurling side that came a few years later, Clare were all brawn and lacked any class, while Derry people don't even like their own side, so how could anyone else warm to them.

Leitrim, on the other hand, was like a fairytale, with John O'Mahony and Declan Darcy slaying not only the mighty Mayo, but also their manager, perhaps the greatest footballer to ever play the game - Jack O'Shea. I can't recall the name of their winning captain from 1927, but I'll never forget the joy on his face that afternoon in Hyde Park. Leitrim's win was far from easy, as they had gone through the Rossies and Galway to just reach the final.

They went on to give Dublin a decent rattle in the AI semi, as every man, woman and child from the county took over Croke Park. I doubt they'll ever make it that far again but, by way of consolation, it's hard to imagine that any Kerry fan ever enjoyed a moment of true football euphoria like the people of Leitrim did 20 years ago.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2014 - all matters of relevance here. - Page 4 Empty Re: Leitrim 2014 - all matters of relevance here.

Post  RMDrive Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Emlyn Mulligan was sitting beside us in Clones at the weekend. Was roaring on his native county with the rest of us. As he said himself,"I'm a Donegal man but I'm fully committed to Leitrim".
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
They went on to give Dublin a decent rattle in the AI semi, as every man, woman and child from the county took over Croke Park.  I doubt they'll ever make it that far again but, by way of consolation, it's hard to imagine that any Kerry fan ever enjoyed a moment of true football euphoria like the people of Leitrim did 20 years ago.

It was indeed one of the great days. "Experts" sprung up like mushrooms, every cat and dog had an opinion.
For some irrational reason, Boxty traversed as far south as Jimmy Murray's hostelry in Knockcroghery in the aftermath - partially to engage with my in-laws and more probably to horse it into anyone who would listen.

The late Jimmy Murray deserted his post behind the bar, battled his way through a throng of gimps who wouldn't know of his status, flung his arms wide and to the massed gathering proclaimed:

"Boxty, a chara, eventually"....

I haven't given this aspect of the day much thought heretofore, but now, looking back, what an acclimation.
I'm on record here previously of my affection for the late Jimmy Murray, he was always a gentleman.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
They went on to give Dublin a decent rattle in the AI semi, as every man, woman and child from the county took over Croke Park.  I doubt they'll ever make it that far again but, by way of consolation, it's hard to imagine that any Kerry fan ever enjoyed a moment of true football euphoria like the people of Leitrim did 20 years ago.

It was indeed one of the great days. "Experts" sprung up like mushrooms, every cat and dog had an opinion.
For some irrational reason, Boxty traversed as far south as Jimmy Murray's hostelry in Knockcroghery in the aftermath - partially to engage with my in-laws and more probably to horse it into anyone who would listen.

The late Jimmy Murray deserted his post behind the bar, battled his way through a throng of gimps who wouldn't know of his status, flung his arms wide and to the massed gathering proclaimed:

"Boxty, a chara, eventually"....

I haven't given this aspect of the day much thought heretofore, but now, looking back, what an acclimation.
I'm on record here previously of my affection for the late Jimmy Murray, he was always a gentleman.

As in the Roscommon legend? Is there any great that you don't know?!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 pm

In a previous incarnation I was domiciled in the noble parish of Kiltoom (St.Bridgets). The next club, heading North, was Knockcroghery (St. Dominics) with their HQ in Jimmy Murrays. These were the days before lavish clubhouses. Heading west from Kiltoom, the 1st. opposition you encountered was Clann na Gael, the heartland of the Shines and the dreaded Tony McManus. The HQ there at the time was Connaughtons of Cornafulla, as fine and welcoming a drinking emporium as one could find and there to this day....

It was tough enough at the time being a Leitrim man, so when the occasion arose, the little bit of devilment possibly got the better of me.

There would be very little love lost between Bridgets and Clann na Gael (both senior) but Knockcroghery were everyones favourites (Intermediate). The late Jimmy Murray took over the reins there in the early 90's at the venerable age of 82 if memory serves me right.

I played in a GAA golf classic in Athlone this time last year. The 3 ball ahead of us comprised Tony and Junior Mac and Brendan Shine. Footballers and singers - yes, but golfers - no. Although Tony looked the part, red trousers and all....Gas men, I don't quite know why I dislike them really.

Edit/Fógra scoir...The winning captain in 1927 was the late Tom Gannon, Ballinamore club at the time. He was a fit 95 on this day 20 years ago. His annexation of the captaincy is shrouded in mystery however. Jack Bohan, full-back on the day, of the now defunct Gorvagh club, were in the middle of a 4 in-a-row and was mysteriously passed over. PC Blessing at midfield was married to Boxty's aunt afterwards.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:35 pm

For the day that's in it.....

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4