GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paralympics 2012

+6
GAA-Fan
OMAR
RMDrive
Thomas Clarke
Boxtyeater
bald eagle
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Paralympics 2012 Empty Paralympics 2012

Post  bald eagle Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:05 am

Please post all matters relating to the Paralympics here........and no auld guff from ye!

Brilliant drama on BBC 2 on Sunday night that tells the story behind the founding of the Paralympic movement, it's called The Best of Men and it's on at 10-00. It's not on in NI for some reason but if you have Sky then you'll be able to watch it on another regions BBC 2.

Great story coming out of Paralympics GB, the woman who won their first Gold of the games was previously a Paralympic Swimmer and only started cycling due to an ear infection that kept her out of the pool for a while. She was good at it so decided to give it a crack but had to train hard to reshape her body muscle for cycling and almost made the Olympic Team GB track cycling team and Wendy Hovenhagal (Sp) kept her out of the team pursuit team.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Paralympics 2012 Empty Re: Paralympics 2012

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am

affraid ...Bald Eagle is up and at it early, must have a cow calving....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 am

Had to work under cover of darkness to create this thread, you know how RMD rules with an iron fist on these matters!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 pm

Congrats to Bethany Firth on winning Gold in the swimming for Ireland.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 pm

bald eagle wrote:Congrats to Bethany Firth on winning Gold in the swimming for Ireland.

Indeed, a great performance. Congratulations Bethany.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm over in London for a few days next week so might try to head to one of the events - although I believe most are completely sold out!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 pm

RMDrive wrote:I'm over in London for a few days next week so might try to head to one of the events - although I believe most are completely sold out!

You heading to twickenham next weekend ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:22 pm

RMDrive wrote:I'm over in London for a few days next week so might try to head to one of the events - although I believe most are completely sold out!

At the minute, the only tickets left are for Boccia. Everything else is gone! Perhaps more will be released over the next few days, as it was during the Olympics, but the demand for tickets has been incredible.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 pm

10,000 tickets are released via London 2012 website every day.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:34 pm

OMAR wrote:

You heading to twickenham next weekend ?

What's on in twickenham? Heading to a conference Mon-Wed.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

At the minute, the only tickets left are for Boccia. Everything else is gone! Perhaps more will be released over the next few days, as it was during the Olympics, but the demand for tickets has been incredible.

See that all right.

BE, I'll keep an eye on it to see what might be available.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Irelands Jason Smyth is the fastest Paralympian in history after recording a time of 10.54s in his 100m Semi Final! These are true sporting heros eh?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 pm

bald eagle wrote:Irelands Jason Smyth is the fastest Paralympian in history after recording a time of 10.54s in his 100m Semi Final! These are true sporting heros eh?

Not bad at all, he will be the only Irishman to keep up with Usain Bolt and is only 0.96 slower. Fantastic stuff.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:26 pm

Unreal stuff from Jason....Well done also indeed to Bethany..Paralympics 2012 Smiley19
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:26 am

Darragh McDonald wins heat in 5:02:38, he will race in the 400m freestyle final this evening as the top qualifier, but not favourite for gold!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 pm

2 more gold for Ireland and another world record! Jason Smyth beat his own WR as he won Gold and Darragh McDonald won Gold by a mile in his final. Great stuff! Feel free to contribute!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 pm

bald eagle wrote:2 more gold for Ireland and another world record! Jason Smyth beat his own WR as he won Gold and Darragh McDonald won Gold by a mile in his final. Great stuff! Feel free to contribute!

Smyth has limited sight is that correct? In what way does that substantially affect his sprinting? Is it keeping his line etc?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
bald eagle wrote:2 more gold for Ireland and another world record! Jason Smyth beat his own WR as he won Gold and Darragh McDonald won Gold by a mile in his final. Great stuff! Feel free to contribute!

Smyth has limited sight is that correct? In what way does that substantially affect his sprinting? Is it keeping his line etc?

It is, he cannot recognise contours between 2-6 meters away and has between 5-20 degree vision.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm

its really gold well for ireland
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Michael McKillop, take a bow sir! Double gold medalist! Wonderful stuff!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Meant to comment on last night's action. Great men's 200m, with Oscar Pistorius being run down by the Brazilian Alan Oliviera. Pistorius was very ungracious after the race, blaming the length of Oliviera's blades as the deciding factor. Apparently the blades were within regulation, and the South African came across as a poor loser.

There were also shades of Mo Farah, as the crowd seemed to go ballistic in roaring on David Weir in the 5000m wheelchair race. Thrilling race and a seemingly electric atmosphere.

Finally, well done to Michael McKillop on his middle distance double this evening! Just heard him interviewed, thanking his parents for the support and belief they give him as a kid with cerebral palsy. What a top young man he really is. Well done Michael!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 pm

these athletes are an inspiration to all of us, to overcome some of the problems they have and compete like this is unbelievable.

Compare that with a bunch of pansies getting paid £200k per week for prancing round a soccer field falling at the slightest knock and rolling about like they had been shot. The should be ashamed of themselves watching these real athletes
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Great buzz in London here. Met a few of the Italian team earlier on. Think I managed to convey my best wishes using my best Italian-style gesticulation. London has really done a great job with the paraolympics and I reckon that the current athletes are getting as much attention as those of a few weeks ago.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-trends&v=riR_SyhvB6s
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 pm

From the Irish Independant Online -

MARK ROHAN did it the hard way, the only way he knows how.

The 31-year-old will return to Westmeath on Monday a double gold medallist after an incredible three days at Brands Hatch, where he ground out an incredible victory in the H1 Road Race to go with his time trial success.

The 48km course was the longest the reigning world champion had ever raced, but he helped drive the pace for four and a half 8km laps on the undulating circuit in the searing heat, before making his move.

Only Swiss rider Tobias Fankhauser could stay with the Irishman's pace for the last lap and a half, but the younger man refused to take the slack and let Rohan ride out front, staying on the wheel.

For almost 12km they were locked together, but Rohan knew that he was stronger than his opponent in the final stretch and drove home to the joy of the large Irish contingent at the finishing line.

incredible

It has been an incredible journey for the former Westmeath U-21 footballer who was paralysed from the chest down following a motorcycle accident in 2001, and he spoke about the emotional nature of the win after receiving his medal.

"I'm just trying to take it in. The last 10 years have been a struggle and it was nice to top it off, to be able to celebrate something now," he explained.

"I enjoy playing sport; sport with a disability is the same as sport without a disability. You get the same emotions, the same support and the same ups and downs.

"If I wasn't here, I would have loved to have been lifting the Sam Maguire Cup for Westmeath, I had big ambitions. I honestly mean that.

"Whatever I put my hand to, I give it 100pc and luckily enough I have come out the right side of it these last couple of years. I'm delighted for the Irish people, to be able to repay the taxpayers' money, the huge investment.

"And for all my supporters and my sponsors, (coach) Brian Nugent, (manager) Denis Toomey and the whole Irish paracycling team and all my team-mates."

Rohan will take some time off now and is looking at furthering his studies in the US as a next step. There are no qualification points for Rio de Janeiro for a year and a half and, while he is set to take a break, there is no sign of him stopping for good.

"I see a lot of Gaelic footballers retiring when they are 30 or 35 -- throwing in the towel -- and I am thinking, 'Jesus, these guys are in serious shape, what are they doing?" he said. "So, for me, I am just absolutely delighted to be able to compete at a high level of sport."

Rohan knows things will be different now. His profile has been rising thanks to various sponsorships, but as a double Paralympic champion, he acknowledged that he has new responsibilities.

"I wish things weren't going to be different, I wish they would stay the same," he admitted. "But I have a responsibility to promote disability sport, it is a minority sport. Once every four years we get a shop window to promote it (in the Paralympics).

"I got an email from a young guy called Tiernan O'Sullivan, who I met in hospital where we were promoting hand-cycling in Cork a few months ago. To see those kids cycling a bike with their disability, its amazing.

"I took great inspiration from his email and, to know the joy they have, the next generation; looking at us. If they want to become a professional sports person, the window of opportunity is there.

"I'll embrace the high profile for the next couple of months, but I won't use if for my own ends -- I'll use it to promote the sport. I am a shy lad who loves to do his own thing, we'll see how it goes."

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next