GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs!

+2
mugsys_barber
North Side Gael
6 posters

Go down

GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs! Empty GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs!

Post  North Side Gael Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Im in favour of our players receiving grants to give them a hand out during hard times however after reading about clubs on the verge of going bankrupt should we not think of divvying up the money better so that we can give these clubs bit of a hand out?

Regardless of who ran these clubs or who runs them, they cater for kids from 5 years of age for a community to lose their club would be disastrous, surely the gaa can help these clubs meet agreements with their banks and control the finances better through assistance and so on?

Probably clutching at straws given the opinions of some on here but its my feelings any way.

It doesnt have to be a show down maybe the GPA could look at ways of jointly helping the clubs and get us all working on the same theme during these hard times?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs! Empty Re: GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs!

Post  North Side Gael Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Lads an idea just came into my head on a joint fundraising initiative by the GAA and GPA, my club recently had a massive fund raiser fight night on its own property hurlers v footballers, why not have something similar at croke park on a national level? Get them to train in their local boxing gym.

Headliner for the night for me ciaran whelan v darrage o se, just after gooch cooper v ricey mcmenaman, could be a real runner, youd sell croker out like, just have to get one exhibition pro fight on at the end to sell tickets, marty rogan v kevin mc bride or something like it, i know rogy would donate time to the gaa, not sure about mc bride.

I wreckon it could work?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm

North Side Gael wrote:Lads an idea just came into my head on a joint fundraising initiative by the GAA and GPA, my club recently had a massive fund raiser fight night on its own property hurlers v footballers, why not have something similar at croke park on a national level? Get them to train in their local boxing gym.

Headliner for the night for me ciaran whelan v darrage o se, just after gooch cooper v ricey mcmenaman, could be a real runner, youd sell croker out like, just have to get one exhibition pro fight on at the end to sell tickets, marty rogan v kevin mc bride or something like it, i know rogy would donate time to the gaa, not sure about mc bride.

I wreckon it could work?

I attended one of these boxing events involving one of the local clubs in the past few months - It's a great fundraising idea. The club made 10k or so, the trainer made 8k of that. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Serious 8k?

Our boys paid a pound a session at the local club the cost on the night was ring hire and a dj, our boys made a small mint.

I wouldnt hire specific trainors tie in with the local boxing club.

Our boys are now reversing the fund-raising in 6 months when our 6 winners from our night take on 6 from the club, dont fancy our chances but its good for community and fund-raising for local needs.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:06 pm

North Side Gael wrote:Serious 8k?

Our boys paid a pound a session at the local club the cost on the night was ring hire and a dj, our boys made a small mint.

I wouldnt hire specific trainors tie in with the local boxing club.

Our boys are now reversing the fund-raising in 6 months when our 6 winners from our night take on 6 from the club, dont fancy our chances but its good for community and fund-raising for local needs.

Sorry,I meant 'trainer' the club's manager! (A ridiculous sum)

I think the two lads(well known boxers) that trained the lads for boxing only took gift vouchers.

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Our club ran a boxing night last weekend making a very tidy profit in these hard times. We had SF's Barry McElduff a very popular local MLA on the card and another guest was former heavyweight champ Martin Rogan who commentated and helped judge some of the fights on the night - An absolute legend and as NSG said he did donate his time free of charge to our club. All in all a great success and fantastic nights craic!
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:17 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:Our club ran a boxing night last weekend making a very tidy profit in these hard times. We had SF's Barry McElduff a very popular local MLA on the card and another guest was former heavyweight champ Martin Rogan who commentated and helped judge some of the fights on the night - An absolute legend and as NSG said he did donate his time free of charge to our club. All in all a great success and fantastic nights craic!

Boxing nights in GAA clubs in Tyrone? Clubs usually do some fundraising away from what happens on the pitch .... Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:Our club ran a boxing night last weekend making a very tidy profit in these hard times. We had SF's Barry McElduff a very popular local MLA on the card and another guest was former heavyweight champ Martin Rogan who commentated and helped judge some of the fights on the night - An absolute legend and as NSG said he did donate his time free of charge to our club. All in all a great success and fantastic nights craic!

Give us a blast when Sammy Wilson is booked in for night and I'll enter myself there Mugsy...GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs! Fighti10
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

Boxing nights in GAA clubs in Tyrone? Clubs usually do some fundraising away from what happens on the pitch .... Laughing

Jayo, we're very much creatures of habit up here, the next big fundraiser will involve hiring the local swimming pool to perfect our diving techniques for the championship GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs! 417703
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:

Give us a blast when Sammy Wilson is booked in for night and I'll enter myself there Mugsy...GPA grants vs Bankrupt clubs! Fighti10

Boxty I reckon you'd tattoo the court yard jester of the DUP, would you be wearing clothes for this contest? Your opponent might land in the birthday suit affraid
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 pm

i ll happily take on ciaran whelan in a boxing ring if someone will sponsor it
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 pm

whiterbananas wrote:i ll happily take on ciaran whelan in a boxing ring if someone will sponsor it

No contest Laughing
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:42 pm

mullins wrote:
whiterbananas wrote:i ll happily take on ciaran whelan in a boxing ring if someone will sponsor it

No contest Laughing

I know, but i would toy with him for a few rounds first to give the crowd some entertainment
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:05 pm

whiterbananas wrote:
mullins wrote:

No contest Laughing

I know, but i would toy with him for a few rounds first to give the crowd some entertainment

Spoken Like a true gladiator.. Twisted Evil
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down