GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now thats soccerball Boxty!

+10
bocerty
bald eagle
patrique
clash-of-da-ash
mid-mon man
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
The Puke
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Now thats soccerball Boxty! Empty Now thats soccerball Boxty!

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 pm

I was an avid soccerball fan but am now largely disaffected - as distinct from Utd fans who should be disinfected Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin ! For an hour tonight I watched the game I used to love, played as it should be played and it was good. An Arsenal team - and manager - who I have great regard for because they try to play the game - were absolutely hammered. Outpassed, outmoved, outthought, outmuscled, outoftheirdepth. (Oh and another beautiful thing - here was a Spanish (Latin) team whose manager has obviously instilled a bit of fair play into - no real diving or codding (still a bit though!).

Barca should have lead 5-0 at HT, The first 20 they were imperious. But then they stopped. But for a good while tonight - before 2-0 came that was as good as it gets .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Now thats soccerball Boxty! Empty Re: Now thats soccerball Boxty!

Post  Boxtyeat Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Premier league fearful after Sky ruling

Now thats soccerball Boxty! A33367061270054614A_541310t

Sky Sports

Wednesday March 31 2010

The Premier League fear Ofcom's controversial Sky ruling will lead to the world's top players turning their back on England's top flight.
Sky will have to sell on Sky Sports 1 and 2 to rival broadcasters for up to 23% less than the current wholesale price, according to the ruling by the regulator.
The Premier League, who have just signed a three-year £1.782billion broadcast deal with Sky paying £1.62billion of that, are considering a legal challenge believing that the ruling will drive down the value of sport's broadcast rights.
Their biggest fear is that a drop in the money available to the clubs will stop the best players being attracted to the most successful league in the world - and have an impact on the cash it passes on to the rest of football.
A Premier League statement read: "Reduced income from rights sales will be rapidly reflected at every level of sport. It will be harder to recruit and retain top talent, youth development will come under pressure, investment in grounds and facilities will be deferred and, in the case of football, the ability to contribute to the rest of the game from the Championship to local parks will be severely diminished."
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore called the ruling an "ill-judged and disproportionate intervention in the broadcast market" and said it rewarded broadcasters who had shown little interest in bidding for sports rights but still wanted to show it on their platforms. He added: "We do not rule out a challenge to protect the interests of fans, clubs and the wider game."
The England and Wales Cricket Board, the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League have also strongly criticised the ruling. Yet Sky's rivals such as Virgin Media say the ruling does not go far enough.
Ofcom began investigating the pay TV market in March 2007 after concerns were raised by BT, Virgin Media, TopUp TV and Setanta, which has since gone bust. Ofcom said the decision, after a three-year investigation into the industry, would ensure "fair and effective competition".
The regulator said today: "Ofcom has concluded that Sky has market power in the wholesale provision of premium channels. Ofcom has also concluded that Sky exploits this market power by restricting the distribution of its premium channels to rival pay TV providers.
"This prevents fair and effective competition, reduces consumer choice and holds back innovation and investment by Sky's rivals. The decisions are therefore designed to ensure fair and effective competition which should lead to greater investment, innovation and choice for consumers."

Press Association

Soccerball is fooked........ Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin

Boxtyeat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 pm

Boxty - I normally agree with your take on soccerball - but for 60 minutes tonight Barca were awesome ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Boxty - I normally agree with your take on soccerball - but for 60 minutes tonight Barca were awesome ...

I was passing through the servants quarters and our groom was watching this farce on the TV that I provide.
He emitted an howl of horror and I turned to the screen to see if there had been an explosion in Vilnius or some of his neighbouring towns but No.... The referee was giving a penalty kick to the London club for no reason that was evident to me. He then sent off a scraggly headed Spaniard (must have been a second yellow)... Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_question
Igor was distraught at these goings on and I made him a mug of cocoa with a drop of local brew in it to settle his nerves...

Soccerball is doomed...All in the UK equivalent of NAMA within 5 years... Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_rr
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:06 am

Aye but for an hour it was as it should be - amen. And the United fans must have looked on and realised just how far off the mark they are. Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin The Liverpool fans must have just .. switched to Fair City perhaps.

ps Have you seen that young Galwegian getting all righteous elsewhere. Strikes me he would be far more comfortable travelling the Kilburn High Road than the High Moral Ground ... Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_lol
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:18 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Aye but for an hour it was as it should be - amen. And the United fans must have looked on and realised just how far off the mark they are. Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin The Liverpool fans must have just .. switched to Fair City perhaps.

ps Have you seen that young Galwegian getting all righteous elsewhere. Strikes me he would be far more comfortable travelling the Kilburn High Road than the High Moral Ground ... Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_lol

Naturally I didn't see any of this no doubt enthralling stuff....Never, Never and all that....

Yerragh ! Bags is only outa' the scratcher and facing a long night shift.. He's just putting things into perspective for those who like long threads condensed into a concise one-liner....*

* FAO Bags..Hey clown! Could you "bullet point" that thread for me when you get a tea break....Top man..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Boxtyeat wrote:Premier league fearful after Sky ruling

Now thats soccerball Boxty! A33367061270054614A_541310t

Sky Sports

Wednesday March 31 2010

The Premier League fear Ofcom's controversial Sky ruling will lead to the world's top players turning their back on England's top flight.
Sky will have to sell on Sky Sports 1 and 2 to rival broadcasters for up to 23% less than the current wholesale price, according to the ruling by the regulator.
The Premier League, who have just signed a three-year £1.782billion broadcast deal with Sky paying £1.62billion of that, are considering a legal challenge believing that the ruling will drive down the value of sport's broadcast rights.
Their biggest fear is that a drop in the money available to the clubs will stop the best players being attracted to the most successful league in the world - and have an impact on the cash it passes on to the rest of football.
A Premier League statement read: "Reduced income from rights sales will be rapidly reflected at every level of sport. It will be harder to recruit and retain top talent, youth development will come under pressure, investment in grounds and facilities will be deferred and, in the case of football, the ability to contribute to the rest of the game from the Championship to local parks will be severely diminished."
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore called the ruling an "ill-judged and disproportionate intervention in the broadcast market" and said it rewarded broadcasters who had shown little interest in bidding for sports rights but still wanted to show it on their platforms. He added: "We do not rule out a challenge to protect the interests of fans, clubs and the wider game."
The England and Wales Cricket Board, the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League have also strongly criticised the ruling. Yet Sky's rivals such as Virgin Media say the ruling does not go far enough.
Ofcom began investigating the pay TV market in March 2007 after concerns were raised by BT, Virgin Media, TopUp TV and Setanta, which has since gone bust. Ofcom said the decision, after a three-year investigation into the industry, would ensure "fair and effective competition".
The regulator said today: "Ofcom has concluded that Sky has market power in the wholesale provision of premium channels. Ofcom has also concluded that Sky exploits this market power by restricting the distribution of its premium channels to rival pay TV providers.
"This prevents fair and effective competition, reduces consumer choice and holds back innovation and investment by Sky's rivals. The decisions are therefore designed to ensure fair and effective competition which should lead to greater investment, innovation and choice for consumers."

Press Association

Soccerball is fooked........ Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin

correction, English soccerball is f****d......The standard of the league is dropping, United and Chelsea playing tecnically very poor football to watch.....This new tax law means that all the best foreigners will want to go to spain and the other European leagues....The EPL is in decline and La Liga is where it is at....

Watching Madrid and Barcelona at the moment is like theatre....
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 pm

[quote="The Puke"][

correction, English soccerball is f****d....[/quote]

When Kevin Kilbane retires the whole thing will fall apart......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm

From the text commentary on BBC website there seems to be an encore presentation on tonight.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm

what a display from Messi Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin I must say he probably will be,if not already the best Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_king
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Probably the best individual performance I've ever seen from Messi, a little genius. If he continues at this rate it's hard to see how he won't be up there as the best ever, still only 22 for gods sake!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Restores your faith in soccerball .... played as it should be by Barca ... and adorned by a genius ... Messi !
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am

I don't think Jose will give Messi as much time on the ball the next day. I can see Inter man marking him and I can see their tackling being hard but fair all over the park. Jose's tactics could win the tie against Barcelona but it will be a tough test.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Much to Boxty's disappointment there will be no English representative in the Champions League semi finals for the first time in 7 years. Liverpool - a quite ordinary team - didn't make the last 16. Chelsea were dumped out by the Mourinho factor and a relatively ordinary Inter team. Arsenal were outWengered, outpassed and totally outclassed by a superb Barcelona - head and shoulders above anything else in Europe imo - even if they have Ibrahimovic. And tonight the Glazers must be choking on their peanut butter as they consider another loan to compensate for lost revenue. 3-0 up after 40 minutes to a hard working but ordinary Bayern side and United contrive to lose! Ferguson again underachieves in Europe. I have made this point before and have been scoffed at for it. Go back at look at the teams United have had over the years, go back and look at who knocked them out of Europe - in seasons when Spain, Italy and Germany were weak. Look at all his domestic titles - and his two European Champs Leagues - 90th min smash and grab and penos. A great domestic manager - but not good enough in the European arena.

So has the balance of power shifted? No I don't think so. Aside from Barcelona the other three sides are ordinary enough. But it will be entertaining to read the tabloids over the next few days for the post mortems. And it will be interesting to see what effect the loss of revenue etc has on the cash cow.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 pm

I reckon Jose's tactics could help his team against Barcelona and they could win that one.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Yes a very ordinary side Bayern. Defence poor and just a few top class players further forward. Sad to see Sir Alex resort to a racial type moan afterwards. Barca great but maybe Jose might just outwit them.Remember Chelsea (without Jose) drew twice in last years semi with Barca.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Much to Boxty's disappointment there will be no English representative in the Champions League semi finals for the first time in 7 years. But it will be entertaining to read the tabloids over the next few days for the post mortems. And it will be interesting to see what effect the loss of revenue etc has on the cash cow.

Armageddon looms for Soccerball .....well in U.K. anyhow... Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_biggrin
Salvation may come for them in some blitz type tournament later in the year. i.e. during the Championship...Hoopla!!!!!
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Sad to see Sir Alex resort to a racial type moan afterwards.

Most out of character for the man who is usually a gracious loser.....

It's all about class and deportment - not abundant around OT and certainly not in the manager's office. I would rather have seen them get to meet Barca again where they would have been stuffed.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Bayern were awful and I hope Derry City are not tempted to sign Ribery, absolutely useless.

Fergie's record with United in Europe is abysmal but mostly the fault of the board. While they can fool the fans that winning the league is a big thing they refused to spend the money for Ronaldinho and Essien to win in Europe. Now they have no money.

Fergie was always great at getting the best from a host of mediocre players like Cole, the Nevilles, Yorke, and merging them with a few good players.

However now he only has mediocre players and Rooney, so the system is all about hard work, and a 5 man mid field full of runners and no creativity. Hence the reason he cannot indulge Berbatov. Now when he bought Berbetov he knew what he was buying, but I don't think he expected to lose Tevez.

By (ab)using Tevez and Rooney as workhorses he was able to indulge Ronaldo.

But any decent team would have been about ten up against bayern tonight. At 2-0 I joked we would be here all night as it would go to penalties. As they scored the third I then said they could yet regret this as Bayern were terrible.

But United's defence ois also terrible, and age has caught up with Fergie's better players.

Now he by and large only has the mediocre ones.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 am

Now thats soccerball Boxty! 21o4rjs

Ol' Whiskeynose is seething here....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:41 am

patrique wrote:Bayern were awful and I hope Derry City are not tempted to sign Ribery, absolutely useless.

Fergie's record with United in Europe is abysmal but mostly the fault of the board. While they can fool the fans that winning the league is a big thing they refused to spend the money for Ronaldinho and Essien to win in Europe. Now they have no money.

Fergie was always great at getting the best from a host of mediocre players like Cole, the Nevilles, Yorke, and merging them with a few good players.

However now he only has mediocre players and Rooney, so the system is all about hard work, and a 5 man mid field full of runners and no creativity. Hence the reason he cannot indulge Berbatov. Now when he bought Berbetov he knew what he was buying, but I don't think he expected to lose Tevez.

By (ab)using Tevez and Rooney as workhorses he was able to indulge Ronaldo.

But any decent team would have been about ten up against bayern tonight. At 2-0 I joked we would be here all night as it would go to penalties. As they scored the third I then said they could yet regret this as Bayern were terrible.

But United's defence ois also terrible, and age has caught up with Fergie's better players.

Now he by and large only has the mediocre ones.

Could tonight's result be the catalyst for change in English soccer?

That Man United team showed tonight it is in a clear need of an upgrade, if the Glazers wish to maintain their current levels of income to service their debts. It appears though that they can't afford such an intervention, coupled with the soon decreases in Sky tv money, it could make the business an non-viable option for the Yanks.

This in turn bring could pressure from the Green and Gold brigade (not Leitrim) to force a sale. Those merchant bankers involved say they will give the supporters trust a 25% in the business after a number of years. If that does happen it will be in part, a club again. If a large team is owned (if only a small minority) by the supporters then surely that egalitarian style of ownership would spread to smaller teams too?

Tonight's result could even make English soccer interesting to follow! Now thats soccerball Boxty! Icon_rolleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

I see now why beating City in the semi of the Carling meant so much to United fans. It will be the only trophy in Old Trafford this season ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I see now why beating City in the semi of the Carling meant so much to United fans. It will be the only trophy in Old Trafford this season ....

Very true, i think the time is right for old Whiskey Cheeks to hand over to someone else!

On another note, good win for Leeds the other day Jayo! I thought they'd blow it after giving away a goal but they held out.......for a change!! Hopefully they can push on from that and get the automatic spot!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 pm

bald eagle wrote:On another note, good win for Leeds the other day Jayo! I thought they'd blow it after giving away a goal but they held out.......for a change!! Hopefully they can push on from that and get the automatic spot!

Yes indeed. I'd hate to see the season go belly up the way the other United's has ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:07 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:I reckon Jose's tactics could help his team against Barcelona and they could win that one.

I doubt it, Barcelona taught Inter a lesson in the group stages at the Camp Nou, Barca are playing far better stuff now than they were back in November while Inter are stuttering in Seria A....Inter just don't have the players to keep the ball and create against Barelona....Barcelona wil win at home and probably draw in Inter....

Barcelona are currently 5/6 to win the Champion's League, akin to buying money
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next