GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My latest journalistic effort....

+7
black&white
Swinford2009
Jayo Cluxton
Dougal
Boxtyeater
Loyal2TheRoyal
SamiPremier08
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My latest journalistic effort.... Empty My latest journalistic effort....

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Due for submission to the college's sports pages tomorrow, not sure how good this is rushed job:

When will we see your likes again…

They may have finished fifth and lost to bottom placed Italy, but Scotland could easily have won the Six Nations.

By Sammy Wilson

When it comes to international rugby, Scotland are never considered alongside the likes of New Zealand and South Africa as a world-class team. Whilst the boys in blue boast a proud rugby heritage, let’s face it, they haven’t been that good over recent years. The last championship trophy to come to Murrayfield was that of the old Five Nations championship back in 1999. Since then, it is safe to say that, despite a few Calcutta Cup victories over England, the Scottish rugby record has been fairly miserable.

Coming off the back of a delirious 9-8 victory over Australia last autumn, Scotland were no doubt fired up more than ever for the 2010 Six Nations championship. However it was business as usual for Andy Robinson’s squad as they found themselves at the foot of the table in their annual battle for the unflattering ‘wooden spoon’ with Italy. This time around things seemed even more dire than usual: the Scots lost out 16-12 to a stubbon Italian side in Rome, after defeats to both France and Wales. A sordid 15-15 draw with England saw Scotland register just one point with as many games left in the competition.

After a long wait, Scotland’s visit to Dublin to play reigning grand-slam champions Ireland finally gave tartan-clad fans something to shout about. An impressive and determined performance saw them win 23-20 in Ireland’s last game at Croke Park stadium. As they celebrated a victory that lifted them to second-bottom in the final standings, supporters were left to wonder what could have been in spring 2010 if luck had gone Scotland’s way.

That’s because this year’s championship was by far Scotland’s best for several years. Their record – 3 loses, 1 win and 1 draw – does not do them justice. Coming within 9 points of France in their opening game isn’t too bad; considering France went on to win the grand slam in convincing style. Whilst losing to Italy would be seen as shocking by the more ignorant rugby fan, playing away at the Stadio Flaminio against a rapidly improving Italian team is never an easy task – as England found out with their own edgy visit this year.

It was, however, the Wales game that put the nail in Scotland’s Six Nations coffin. It was an agonising defeat in Cardiff. After a great display Scotland looked to be home and dry with a thoroughly deserved away win – but it was not to be. Not only did Scotland concede two infuriating tries in the closing five minutes to lose the game, they also lost several key players to injury in the process. For this reason, England’s ensuing trip to Edinburgh was always going to be a tough game for the home side, yet perhaps they should have managed more than a draw.

The thing about Scotland is that they’re always nearly there. Always nearly winning games before throwing it all away in the final quarter; always finding themselves inches from the try line before dropping the ball and so on. With the likes of Chris Patterson (arguably rugby’s finest goal kicker), Dan Parks, Sean Lamont and an incredible scrum line-up, Scotland should be up there with the best in world rugby. Despite the results, 2010 has so far proved that they have the potential to finally get there. With the 2011 world cup just around the corner, Scotland’s time may well be coming, and everyone else had better watch out.

Last edited by SamiPremier08 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

My latest journalistic effort.... Empty Re: My latest journalistic effort....

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:52 pm

You are missing a comma after up in the final paragraph.

FAIL.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:You are missing a comma after up in the final paragraph.

FAIL.

You are missing inverted commas in your 'up'.

FAIL.

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:56 pm

FAIL.

dammit! Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:

FAIL.

Did the college paper cover the Cheltenham Festival in its sports pages last week?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:

FAIL.

Did the college paper cover the Cheltenham Festival in its sports pages last week?

the college paper is crap Loyal, it's only out every month or so Laughing
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm

I thought the use of the term "world class" had been outlawed by forumites here..... My latest journalistic effort.... Suspect

Personally, I would have used capital letters when referring to the 2011 World Cup...

I disagree with the previous contributors on the up there issue and thought, on the whole, the effort was world class...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 pm

x + 3y = 9

x^2 + y^2 = 13

Solve for x any y boys and girls.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Nobody? I'm shocked and appalled.

I worry about the future of Engineering in Ireland (once reputed to be the home of enginners). Can't even solve a simple little equation like that. At this rate, I'll have to finish off the N3 on my own.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:20 pm

I will admit I did wap a pen out and give it a try but all i got was x=4.12. no good at maths Laughing
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:I will admit I did wap a pen out and give it a try but all i got was x=4.12. no good at maths Laughing

Yeah well don't expect to be bypassing Kells any time soon.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Sami are you just running this newspaper thing?

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:31 pm

RoyalGirl wrote:Sami are you just running this newspaper thing?

admittedly, pretty much yeah. There are a few others, I'm only in it to write it on me CV. study
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:
RoyalGirl wrote:Sami are you just running this newspaper thing?

admittedly, pretty much yeah. There are a few others, I'm only in it to write it on me CV. study

Fair play duit! Just don't write on your CV that you support Tipp...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:x + 3y = 9

x^2 + y^2 = 13

Solve for x any y boys and girls.
x=3 y=2

anything harder?math was my favourite subject in school,havent done much of it lately though
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:A sordid 15-15 draw with England saw Scotland register just one point with as many games left in the competition.

Well the subject matter is a little painful Sammy but a very good read nonetheless and well structured. The line above is memorable - I have never heard of a rugby match referred to as 'sordid' - so that's class My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_cheers !!! (May not go down well in D4 though! My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_razz )
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:A sordid 15-15 draw with England saw Scotland register just one point with as many games left in the competition.

Well the subject matter is a little painful Sammy but a very good read nonetheless and well structured. The line above is memorable - I have never heard of a rugby match referred to as 'sordid' - so that's class My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_cheers !!! (May not go down well in D4 though! My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_razz )

a great adjective Very Happy
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

I doubt they'd know what it means Jayo Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 pm

RoyalGirl wrote:I doubt they'd know what it means Jayo My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_smile

Believe me RG - they are the ones who'd know exactly what it means .... My latest journalistic effort.... Suspect
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
RoyalGirl wrote:I doubt they'd know what it means Jayo My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_smile

Believe me RG - they are the ones who'd know exactly what it means .... My latest journalistic effort.... Suspect

Well grr them!My latest journalistic effort.... Icon_evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:46 pm

as someone studying Journalism Sami i think its quite a good article. the grammatical errors are nothing which cant be fixed on microsoft word so i wouldnt worry too much about that.

Fair play, and i completely agree with you about Scotland being much better than the 6 nations table claims they are
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Very good writing sami, but I must admit I'm a little disappointed in you.

I can understand the Scots getting carried away with Saturday's result (they do every time they beat anyone other than Italy), but I thought you'd a bit more sense than to be saying they "should be up there with the best in world rugby."

Ireland had a shocker on Saturday, and Scotland still only scraped by. If Sexton had been anywhere near his normal kicking form then Scotland would still have lost. Equally well Rory Best has never had as many overthrows in an International before this. Scotland caught Ireland on an exceptionally bad day, but yet their being made out as if they are nearly on a par with the Tri-Nations.

Based on performances in this year's Championship, Scotland have certainly improved. But one swallow does not make a summer.

Their scrum is strong, but in the loose the front three (Euan Murray in particular) need to do an awful lot more.
Parks has been good at goal-kicking this season, but he's still not a great 10. His distribution is only average, and his decision making is extremely hit-and-miss. Their backs are not World-class in any way shape or form. 3 tries in the Championship should be enough to show you that.

As I said, it's a well-written piece sami, and the budding journalistic skills are evident. But I thought more of you than to be getting carried away with the Scots' over-excitement.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 am

Are you really called Sammy Wilson?

God love you.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 am

Great stuff Sami. Remember me when you're famous.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 am

patrique wrote:Are you really called Sammy Wilson?

God love you.

My latest journalistic effort.... Sammy-wilson_95582t
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next