GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubs go defensive

+8
Thomas Clarke
joan_balantine
mugsys_barber
mullins
GAA-Fan
bocerty
Armaghgeddon
Jayo Cluxton
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dubs go defensive - Page 2 Empty Re: Dubs go defensive

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm

the next few games will tell a tale for dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

It will be interesting. Dublin have done well so far, but it should be remembered that the NFL isn't a huge indicator of how a team will fair out in the Championship. However, it's clear Dublin do have some talent in there, so it'll be interesting this year in the Championship in how they perform.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:32 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:It will be interesting. Dublin have done well so far, but it should be remembered that the NFL isn't a huge indicator of how a team will fair out in the Championship. However, it's clear Dublin do have some talent in there, so it'll be interesting this year in the Championship in how they perform.

said Esther ............... from Mayo ...........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:While you can't knock 4 wins out of 4 so far this League season, there is no doubt that Dublin are playing a far more defensive game this year. The tactic seems to be to have as many men behind the ball whenever possible. Even on Saturday night when Monaghan had Dessie Mone sent off the extra man was kept firmly in defence. Dublin are played a longer and quicker ball into the forwards so we may see a less swashbuckling style than usual this year. There is great pace in the attack so the accuracy of the ball into them will be key. I just wonder if the fans wil embrace this new style? I suppose if it brings long awaited success they will!

Jc every team has a defence-but do they have the swagger Dubs go defensive - Page 2 Icon_cool
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote: It is working in terms of results but I am not sure how it will go down with those who prefer the swash buckling stuff!

They'll love it Jayo, just as they did in 1995, when Dublin played ultra-defensively to win their last all-ireland, after having been much more adventurous in the disappointments of the previous few years.

With Henry playing in the half-back line, Dublin are playing with 7 designated defenders, something which is becoming more and more common nowadays (Tyrone did this last year with Joe McMahon playing as an extra CHB). However, the reason that Dublin look so defensive is because they are also dropping Flynn & Hubbard in behind the midfield, leaving only 2-3 players whose main responsibility is to atack.

Done properly, the advantages of this are being able to shore up a leaky defence (a long-standing Dublin problem), and also to be able to break into space should the opposition follow you up the field. It also gives a lot of space for your full-forwards to play. As I see it, the 3 main requirements for such a system to be successful are a couple of athletic, ball-winning full-forwards, wing-half backs who can attack productively, and at least one midfielder who can get forward to support the full-forwards.

For an example of this style going wrong, look no further than Derry, who have no midfielders who can score, and half-backs with limited footballing ability. The result is a very isolated Paddy & Eoin Bradley,and that is the fear that I would also have for Dublin. As with Paddy Bradley & Derry of a recent years, take Bernard Brogan out of the game, and Dublin won't score playing like this.

Still, after the debacles of 2008/9, they had to try something new, and it is getting results just now. Whether it does or not in the summer, when others contenders get fitter, remains to be seen.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 am

Yep they will have plenty of pace and either Brogan left one on one with half the pitch open could do serious damage. We are lacking the intelligence you need in a half back line to play this I agree but Fennell would suit the game plan. McAuley too is a powerful lad with an eye for goal. But this type of game plan is all very well in Parnell on a cold February / March night - it will be very different - and tiring - in the hot and wide open spaces of Croker in June/July.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Dublin are losing very badly to Cork at the moment. Only 1-1 in the 2nd half so far.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:00 pm

They've lost by 7 points.

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Ahh really? Shocked God for some reason Im laughing? wait until you see what derry get bate by haha
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 pm

poor showing by the Dubs tonight - were completely outplayed by the Cork men. Gilroys tactics were a bit strange to be honest, if you are going to play as defensive as that you need to commit men to the breakaway otherwise you'll never win - for the most of the game it was 2 Dublin forwards against 6 Cork defenders.

Dublin midfield were conspicuous by their absence and both 8 & 9 were replaced, the jury is out on the Dubs again presumably.

The only consolation for Dublin is i dont know any team who can stop Cork at the minute - i know Tyrone beat them last week but i think agents Mulder and Scully have been asked to investigate that one - they are so mobile and fit they are hard to stop and break tackles with consumate ease.

Kerrigan at full forward is a real handful and a workhorse ably assisted by Kelly, Gould and a few others.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Wasn't it Cork? Oh jays wait until next week up in Celtic park ahah! I cant wait Razz
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Don't believe this will happen come championship..We have our own blend of football which you will see come sunny weather..

We just need to tweak the defence..

Remember 1 thing this league team will not be even close to our championship team.. Dubs go defensive - Page 2 Icon_cool
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Mullins, Gilroy isn't trying this system out game after game just to abandon it come June. This is the way he intends playing.

I appreciate what you say about several players to come in, but are they really going to make a difference, given what Dublin need to play on the counter attack?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Mullins, Gilroy isn't trying this system out game after game just to abandon it come June. This is the way he intends playing.

I appreciate what you say about several players to come in, but are they really going to make a difference, given what Dublin need to play on the counter attack?
`

Its all about giving players experience....Tc if you seen the game saturday night you would realise we were ripped a part..Plan B i believe will be tweak defence and go for it..

That system does not suit us...its all about getting players to mark there own man....not to let them run alone..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 pm

I did see the game (on television), and you are right, Dublin were taken apart, but that will happen if you invite Cork onto you (Tyrone found this out last year).

Dublin's biggest problem in the last 5 years has been the complete lack of a defence, and that is what Gilroy is now trying to protect. He will try to keep scores low, and hope that one of the Brogans can nick a goal or 2 to win matches. He continued playing defensively even when chasing the game against Cork, so I can't see him moving away from this.

I wrote early on this thread my thoughts on how to play this system, and I still fear that Dublin don't have the players for what Gilroy is trying to do.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I did see the game (on television), and you are right, Dublin were taken apart, but that will happen if you invite Cork onto you (Tyrone found this out last year).

Dublin's biggest problem in the last 5 years has been the complete lack of a defence, and that is what Gilroy is now trying to protect. He will try to keep scores low, and hope that one of the Brogans can nick a goal or 2 to win matches. He continued playing defensively even when chasing the game against Cork, so I can't see him moving away from this.

I wrote early on this thread my thoughts on how to play this system, and I still fear that Dublin don't have the players for what Gilroy is trying to do.

I agree TC- thats why i believe we have to stick to our own system...We don't have corner backs who can run the lenght of the pitch and score..

Time will tell Galway Saturday willl give a better insight i believe.. To what lies ahead
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 am

Gilroy is shrewd enough. Last year we played the same type of style as under Pillar and got stuffed - again - (just thought I'd mention that cos I haven't read a post reminding me of it in about two hours now). I think he is trying out some new ideas but I hope we don't revert to an overly defensive system. Pat Spillane would go mad.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Gilroy is shrewd enough. Last year we played the same type of style as under Pillar and got stuffed - again - (just thought I'd mention that cos I haven't read a post reminding me of it in about two hours now). I think he is trying out some new ideas but I hope we don't revert to an overly defensive system. Pat Spillane would drive you mad.

Fixed.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Haven't seen Dublin play since the O'Byrne Cup match with Meath.

But they simply don't have the personnel in the backs or midfield to play that sort of long ball game. Basically thats why a great half-forward like Bryan Cullen ended up centre-half-back for a long time. Excellent kicker but defensively very frail. A Tomas O'Se or a Cormac McGuinness would not go amiss in a Dublin jersey. Saying that, its a pity the Brogans haven't got anyone to supply ball to them. If they did, Alan Brogan would probably be considered one of Dublin's greatest footballers by now.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I am extremely worried about what Dublin are doing/trying to do/ not doing. It seems management are intent on this extra man back defensive system. This in theory should make it harder to the opposition to score - its not working. We concede almost to our half back line and then guys can still pick passes inside - crazy stuff. The system needs (at least) 3 pacey scoring forwards - we don't have them. As I have said before if it is lax in cold Parnell Pk it will be a disaster in wide open hot Croker. Where we are now is very worrying from a Championshiop point of view - could be a short summer ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I am extremely worried about what Dublin are doing/trying to do/ not doing. It seems management are intent on this extra man back defensive system. This in theory should make it harder to the opposition to score - its not working. We concede almost to our half back line and then guys can still pick passes inside - crazy stuff. The system needs (at least) 3 pacey scoring forwards - we don't have them. As I have said before if it is lax in cold Parnell Pk it will be a disaster in wide open hot Croker. Where we are now is very worrying from a Championshiop point of view - could be a short summer ....

JC can't see Dublin going with this Puke football for the Championship...I believe Giller is trying to install in the players that you have to defend aswell as attack..

When it comes to the championship the swagger will be back..

Dublin had no intention in winning last nights game. We don't want to be under the spotlight in April..

Dublin only play one way Attack Dubs go defensive - Page 2 Icon_pirat
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Hope you're right m. A lot of disquiet off the pitch there last night. Not pushed about the League at all but the signs at the moment are not great tbh.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Hope you're right m. A lot of disquiet off the pitch there last night. Not pushed about the League at all but the signs at the moment are not great tbh.

JC can you honestly see us playing that system in the championship...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Dublin are a very average side playing a system that doesn't suit them. Pillar got ridiculed for sticking to the same team over and over again but its becoming clear now that he didn't have much choice as there simply was nothing else there. At least he kept true to Dublins traditional style of play and they at least played some thrilling football every now and then. Kernan came in for us and, other than ironing out some of Liam Sammons excess's he hasn't made any great changes to Galways style but he has toughened them up a wee bit mentally as well as physically. Fair play to Gilroy for trying something new but its sure not pretty and Dublin simply don't have the players. Shane Ryan was under-estimated by management last year but they sure as hell missed him last night. Where are the likes of Vaughan and young Connolly who promised so much? Players like this might have issues or whatever but their natural ability is clear and a dam sight more productive than the ineptitude that we saw wearing the navy n' blue last night. Four points up after 15 minutes and what do they do then?,Protect the lead Dubs go defensive - Page 2 Icon_razz
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:56 pm

mullins wrote:
JC can you honestly see us playing that system in the championship...

I sincerely hope not .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next