GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest Events of the 00's

+8
JimWexford
Jayo Cluxton
mossbags
Boxtyeater
SamiPremier08
KerryKatriona
bocerty
clash-of-da-ash
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Biggest Events of the 00's Empty Biggest Events of the 00's

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:01 pm

Well another decade over what would be the biggest events of the 00's?

Here are some in my opinion:

9/11 the terrorist attack on New York.
Introduction of the Euro
Invasion of Iraq
Tsunami in the Asia

On the domestic front:
Bertie's fall from grace
Keane in Saipan
Grandslam in Rugby
Kilkenny's 4 in a row
The rise of Ulster football

I'm sure there are more I haven't included.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Biggest Events of the 00's Empty Re: Biggest Events of the 00's

Post  bocerty Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 pm

The GAA being founded in 2003 - how could you miss that one Clash

you also missed the fact that the Dubs won 00 All irelands during the 00s
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:04 am

Hurricane Kathrina 2005
Ireland's economic crash
Pope John Paul R.I.P. 2005
Columbian Space Disaster 2003
War in Afghanistan and War in Iraq
Barack Obama-first Coloured President of America
Global Warming becomes a prominent talking-point

Best Football match-Mayo V Dublin 2006
Mayo NFL Champions 2001
Mayo All-Ireland finalists 2004, 2006
Leeds Champions League semi-finalists 2001, then their demise to League 1

Michael Jackson R.I.P. 2009
Charlton Heston R.I.P.
Christopher Reeve R.I.P.
Cormac MacAnallen R.I.P.

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:09 am

EstherMayo1951 wrote:Hurricane Kathrina 2005

What about Hurricane Katriona 2009 here!
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Armstrong winning 7th Tour De France
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Other Sporting Events:
Sonia O'Suillivan winning silver in Syndey.
Greece winning Euro 2004.
Liverpool's fighback in 2005.
Wildcard Goran Ivanesevic winning Wimbledon.
Padraig Harrington winning 3 majors.
Ireland hosting Special Olympics as well as the Ryder Cup.
Shelbourne getting to 3rd qualifying round of Champions League in 2004.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:31 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote: Shelbourne getting to 3rd qualifying round of Champions League in 2004.

Shamrock Rovers nearly getting a result over Real Madrid last summer, not a big event but it was nearly one
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Jackie Healy-Rea retaing his Dáil seat in 2 General elections!!! Staggering.... Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_mad
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:33 pm

I'd say the boom and bust would be the biggest story of the decade.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Leitrim getting its first set of traffic lights was THE global sensation of the decade. Folk from as far afield as Rio De Janiero and Khatmandu still gather round at night and gasp in awe at the stories of how the traffic lights go from green to red and then back again and wonder about the impact this giant leap forward has affected the flow of traffic in Carrick on Shannon. Whatever next they gasp? Congestion charges in Drumshambo?? Biggest Events of the 00's Fresse
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:11 pm

That a county that produced the likes of Joe Cooney or Sean Purcell appointed this lúdramám as manager of their stickball team. You couldn't make it up......but then it's Galway. On the traffic light front, RED is for keeping ye hoors of speculators out, seeking solitude and alternate living my arse, cheap rural sites for Biggest Events of the 00's Suspect activities more like.
You could have shown a little more manners last night at the soup kitchen thingy, Triona went out on a limb for you..
Souptaker...... Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_mad
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 pm

The forum must have a secret deal that obscures the image of Gerlock.....

Worthy of a nomination elsewhere though...hold on...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 am

Boxtyeater wrote:

That a county that produced the likes of Joe Cooney or Sean Purcell appointed this lúdramám as manager of their stickball team. You couldn't make it up......but then it's Galway. On the traffic light front, RED is for keeping ye hoors of speculators out, seeking solitude and alternate living my arse, cheap rural sites for Biggest Events of the 00's Suspect activities more like.
You could have shown a little more manners last night at the soup kitchen thingy, Triona went out on a limb for you..

The above post from this guy 'Boxtyeater' post brings new unsavoury images to ones mind when they hear the often used but often accurate term, 'badly rattled Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_silent Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:44 am

mossbags wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:

The above post from this guy 'Boxtyeater' post brings new unsavoury images to ones mind when they hear the often used but often accurate term, 'badly rattled Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_silent Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel

Mossbags clearly seething here. Double usage of the word "post", as highlighted... Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_redface "RATTLEDNESS" IS OF GARGANTUAN PROPORTIONS........His foray from the swamps and general bollocksology (maybe not a word but a simile) last night casts his self-assumed "title" as Prof. of literacy on this forum into doubt.
"Muldoons" such as this, have no part to play on this Forum. His "all right sortedness" lies, like his hurling aspirations, where they belong....in the skip. (Is there room in said skip????)
Will someone in authority, Bocerty, you thick cnut, ban this slop-monkey..... Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_mad Biggest Events of the 00's Icon_mad
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:14 pm

this was the decade that everyone bar Tyrone and Cork voted to allow foreign sports in our great stadium - shame on the lot of ye No No No No No
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 am

bocerty wrote:this was the decade that everyone bar Tyrone and Cork voted to allow foreign sports in our great stadium - shame on the lot of ye No No No No No

Fair play to ya Boc! I agree!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 am

bocerty wrote:this was the decade that everyone bar Tyrone and Cork voted to allow foreign sports in our great stadium - shame on the lot of ye Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel

In 2008 Gaa gate receipts were down over €5 million. The rugby and soccer internationals brought €11.7 million into GAA coffers.

Best decision ever made by the majority of GAA members. Sigh - you will always have some living in the dark ages .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:03 am

Big worldwide news

1. 9/11
2. Tsunami in Asia
3. War in Iraq
4. Hurricane Katrina
5. Madrid/London bombings

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:this was the decade that everyone bar Tyrone and Cork voted to allow foreign sports in our great stadium - shame on the lot of ye Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel Biggest Events of the 00's Kopfschuettel

In 2008 Gaa gate receipts were down over €5 million. The rugby and soccer internationals brought €11.7 million into GAA coffers.

Best decision ever made by the majority of GAA members. Sigh - you will always have some living in the dark ages .....

dark ages my arse - hearing GSTQ in Croke park was dark believe me - i can still see Gerry Flannerys face during it as if he was about to burst.

One of the worst decisions ever made by the GAA..................... though i do reckon its always easier to dismiss the impact of it when you live outside of Ulster - after all you weren't treated as a terrorist just for carrying a hurl about with you and there were none of your players harassed or even shot on the way to matches just because they were Catholics
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:12 pm

samin10 wrote:Big worldwide news

1. 9/11
2. Tsunami in Asia
3. War in Iraq
4. Hurricane Katrina
5. Madrid/London bombings
Obama getting elected
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 pm

bocerty wrote:dark ages my arse - hearing GSTQ in Croke park was dark believe me - i can still see Gerry Flannerys face during it as if he was about to burst.

One of the worst decisions ever made by the GAA..................... though i do reckon its always easier to dismiss the impact of it when you live outside of Ulster - after all you weren't treated as a terrorist just for carrying a hurl about with you and there were none of your players harassed or even shot on the way to matches just because they were Catholics

Please Boc - don't start that victim sh*te ........ Its nearly 2010.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 pm

bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

dark ages my arse - hearing GSTQ in Croke park was dark believe me - i can still see Gerry Flannerys face during it as if he was about to burst.

Boc I agree with you and JC it wasn't a decision agreed with by the majority of Gaels. Technically one had to be a member to vote on this , but this was carried by the media and pushed though by foreign lovin' game journalists NOT your average paid up member.

You get a lot of people who think the have the right to comment critically etc who are not members of clubs and don't even support clubs. They may go to the odd county game this doesn't give the the right to vote or push something through.
I see the "lourve" was given back eg The Tallaght Stadium.
Croker is belonging to the GAA for the production and display of it's games no others.

If you had a shop would you let you rivals use it to "steal" your business????
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:28 pm

If Croke Park was kept just for Gaelic games (I refuse to use or recognise the term 'Gael' or take ownership of it as some do) it would be the greatest waste of money ever. It would be full maybe 5 times a year - 3 Dubs games and 2 Finals - with paltry crowds rattling around the rest of the time. The GAA would be a lot poorer as an organisation and less money would filter through to the clubs. Aside from the obvious benefits of moving on as a nation the economic benefits make it a no-brainer.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:dark ages my arse - hearing GSTQ in Croke park was dark believe me - i can still see Gerry Flannerys face during it as if he was about to burst.

Please Boc - don't start that victim sh*te ........ Its nearly 2010.

personally i was glad to see Croker opened up as i think it would have done the GAA more harm than good if Irish International soccer teams and Rugby teams had to play their "home" games in England.

Jayo, i think you're bang out of order with your comment. It stinks of Southern Middle class s***e who just couldnt give a flying about what went on in the north.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm

samin10 wrote:

Jayo, i think you're bang out of order with your comment. It stinks of Southern Middle class s***e who just couldnt give a flying about what went on in the north.

Couldn't be more wrong. No Southern middle class sh*te here at all. Pull in the neck.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next