GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can England win the World Cup?

+5
6inarow
RMDrive
Jayo Cluxton
GAA-Fan
SamiPremier08
9 posters

Go down

Can England win the World Cup? Empty Can England win the World Cup?

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 pm

There's a lot of talk over here and some genuine belief that England could go all the way in South Africa next summer. Lots of quality players (James Milner, Carlton Cole) are coming through into a team with several top class established players (Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, David Beckham). However it always seems to me that when playing together all the England stars don't perform as well as they can do. Take tonight's defence in Amstersdam (Glen Johnson, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ashely Cole) - it looked very poor at times and let Holland through to score two gifts of a goal. Then there is the goalkeeper conundrum: a long list of hopeful England 'keepers (David James, Paul Robinson, Robert Green, Ben Foster, Joe Hart) but not one stands out as a world-class player. Midfield is also tricky, to me David Beckham remains a crucial player in the England set up - even though he is approaching 35. It is a well know fact that England's two best centre midfielders (Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard) find it impossible to play on top form together, so England must look to the likes of Ashley Young and Gareth Barry to fill the gap - both great players also. Do England have just too much choice? Up front long-standing England no.9 Emile Heskey looks slow whilst Wayne Rooney has failed to make an impact for a while and the likes of Michael Owen and Peter Crouch haven't been seen doing anything remarkable for a long time. Jermain Defoe shone tonight with two goals, but England have yet to find a consistently top class goalscorer.

Riding on the wave of an unbeaten World Cup qualifying campaign, England genuinely believe they are in with a chance of becoming world champions next year. But let's not forget their qualification games have been against the likes of Andorra, and when facing the best teams in the world such as Spain to whom they lost 4-0 earlier this year, England just do not look that good. They drew with Holland, lost to France recently (hardly one of the world's best teams anymore) and failed to qualify for Euro 2008 which was only last year.

The players are good. They management is good. The team is not. Can England find their form and their best choice team before 2010 and turn into serious contenders with the likes of Brazil, Spain, Italy, Argentina et al for the World Cup?

Probably not.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Can England win the World Cup? Empty Re: Can England win the World Cup?

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm

No, they dont have the team. Argentina have a better class of players as do Italy, Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Brazil and Holland. There is no denying that they have a talented squad but there are A LOT better teams than them out there.

I would say it is on a par with saying that Aston Villa will win the premiership.

THANK GOD!!
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Can Dublin win Sam? I rest my case .......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am

I think they can and I think they will.

What sport are we talking about here?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Anoybody can but England won't is my short but honest opinion. It's quarter final heartbreak again, although I'll only care if Sylvan Ebanks Blake makes the squad, years of Championship football have numbed me to pretty much any football match above the level say the Premier League relegation battle at the best!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:27 pm

England have ONE world class player, Rooney.

They have a lot of hard working runners, such as Gerrard, but no technique whatsoever.

Google the world cup and you will find it is won by Brazil, Italy, Germany or Argentina, or maybe the host nation. Uruguay used to win it but have fallen away.

Belgium, USA and such have a better record that England.

So history would suggest that England's chance of world cup success would be on a par with Limerick's chances of winning Sam.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:05 pm

who honestly gives a sh*t what they can or can't win
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 pm

JimWexford wrote:who honestly gives a sh*t what they can or can't win

Woooooooo - English tourist numbers obviously way down in the sunny South East this year ..... Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
JimWexford wrote:who honestly gives a sh*t what they can or can't win

Woooooooo - English tourist numbers obviously way down in the sunny South East this year ..... Razz

no not really I just have no time for the queens game.
THis is a GAA site talking about the direct competition.

I was one of those who voted against croker to open still stand by that view but I respect the majority ( I still have not watched a game of soccer to be played in that venue and never will-live or on the TV, also have turned down numerous rugby tickets)
Rugby is different it represents 32 counties ie Ireland
Soccer represents 26 or 6 whatever way you look at it not the full shilling.
As I said paint drying on a wet day is more fun to watch
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 pm

I fully respect your noble stand Jim sir!

ps if you get offered any more rugby tickets I'll take them off ya! Very Happy
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I fully respect your noble stand Jim sir!

Ok
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:50 pm

JimWexford wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:I fully respect your noble stand Jim sir!

Ok

and if there are any left after Jayo has had his pickings i might be interested Jim thanks (rugby tickets not soccer)
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 am

It's tormenting the hearts and minds of our local population as well.
You can hardly go to Mass, Mart or bog but some toothless "elder" will open the conversation with the now familiar query "any word on Terry?"
We thought for a while it was a query regarding Terry Bohan's health, but such is not the case. (Terry is on the mend)
The phrase "wide men" used to refer to Northern cattle tanglers with tan boots and hats but it's now used in connection with lively wing half forwards.
Some of these lads have even been heard making observations like "O'Gara is in the pocket" "turnover ball" and the likes, as they supped pints on Saturdays of rugby matches.

Christ, you couldn't make it up...... Shocked
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down