GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liam McCarthy semi-finals

5 posters

Go down

Liam McCarthy semi-finals Empty Liam McCarthy semi-finals

Post  SamiPremier08 Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Kilkenny vs. Waterford
Limerick vs. Tipperary

A repeat of last year's final on Sunday - which as we all remember (and Waterford fans do their best to forget) was a huge victory for the Cats last time around. Waterford left it til late against Galway but above all played with strength, passion and determination. They have had a good run in the championship this year, and will definately be wanting revenge on Kilkenny after last September. Kilkenny, although still a great team, are not looking quite as indestructable as they did last year (going close with Galway Leinster championship; Dublin Leinster final; Tipperary league final) and it should not be forgotten that Waterford beat them in this year's NHL. It's still an immense challenge for Waterford, but they are up to it and I can see them running Kilkenny very close.

The other semi is a tantilising all-Munster clash between 2007 finalists Limerick and Munster champions Tipperary. Limerick defied the odds and pulled through against Dublin, whilst Tipp have been inactive since their relatively unconvincing victories over Cork, Clare and Waterford in the Munster championships. Limerick will go into this with all guns blazing, as will Tipp, both counties have gone a long while without an All-Ireland and will be desperate for a place in the final. After weeks of training opportunities Tipp will hopefully have sorted out their problem of falling asleep midway through the second half, and they should be able to have no problem putting the points over with a talented set of forwards. Limerick however have the advantage of match experience through the qualifiers whilst Tipp haven't played since the Munster final. Another tight game is on the cards, hopefully I can find somewhere to watch it in Hiedelburg and see a Tipperary victory!
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Liam McCarthy semi-finals Empty Re: Liam McCarthy semi-finals

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 am

I don't think Waterford have enough to beat Kilkenny. John Mullane would be Waterford's only top class forward while Kilkenny have at least 3. I still think it should be Galway versus Tipp and Limerick versus Kilkenny but it doesn't always work out the way you would like it to.

As for the other semi-final I would expect Tipp to beat a Limerick side who I don't know how they have managed to get this far. Struggled against Laois 1-3 to no score down at one stage and it took it 60 minute before they went ahead. It also took a Brian Murray penalty to bring them back into it against Dublin.

Last edited by clash-of-da-ash on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 am

I'd be surprised if Waterford get within 10points of the Cats - their biggest opponent on Sunday will be their own mental state, have they managed to get last September out of their system i personally doubt it unless they've all been hypnotised, it is imperative for Waterford to put points on the board early on if not then it could be over long before the final whistle goes.

As for the other one its a tough one to call but i'd expect Tipp to shade it it the end, Limerick are not a great side by any stretch but when you come against your neighbours at this stage in the season anything can happen.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:23 am

Kilkenny Tipp final - antin else will be shocking!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:25 pm

I would say the top five teams are in this order:
1. Kilkenny
2. Tipperary
3. Galway
4. Cork
5. Waterford
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:38 pm

A few years back Waterford were expected to easily beat Limerick, but didn't.

If Limerick have a full side, and get a few early goals, Tipp could be in trouble as they have been front runners all year, who run out of steam near the end. I wouldn't like to see them coming from behind.

Limerick have "form" for beating tipp unexpectedly so you never know.

You can't see past Kilkenny in the other game.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 pm

Can't see it P. Fair play to Limerick but it was a game Dublin could've won. Tipp are on a different level and then Kilkenny - different level entirely ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:18 pm

I think we could be looking at the greatest team of all time in this Kilkenny team, we will probably be talking about this team in 30 years time and maybe more.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Colm Keys had a decent article about Tommy Walsh yesterday in the Independent basically saying tHat no player divides opinions amongst pundits like Walsh does in terms of being a great player but also one who lives life on the very age and gets away with quite a bit during games. The great Eddie Keher said in the article that alot of the 'bad' publicity that Walsh gets is unfair and that he would be remembered as the best half back Kilkenny ever produced.

Personally I think he is a great player he defies his height with some of the leaps he makes during games and never seems to get beat when he goes for a ball - but he has also been a tad fortunate to see the full 70 minutes in some games - most recently the clash with Galway i thought he should have been gone before half time and tends to like to leave the hurl in a bit when tackling.

In typical Cody fashion though he said the day Walsh isnt playing on the edge is the day he will worry about him ..................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:30 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:I think we could be looking at the greatest team of all time in this Kilkenny team, we will probably be talking about this team in 30 years time and maybe more.

I agree totally Clash. I think if they win Liam this year - and I can't see anything else - it will cement their place. The first hurling team I remember was the early-mid 70s team - an awesome bunch - Skehan, Larkin, big Pat Henderson, Purcell, Cummins, Chunky and the great Eddie Keher. But this side are possbily better ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Not as good as the Clare team of the 90s.

A Ciaran Carey point (and an exceptionally good one too) and Jimmy Cooney's watch prevented them from doing the 4 in a row.

Sparrow, Baker, Fingers, Lynch, Taaffe, Daly, Fitzy, Lohans, Jamesie, Hegarty, McMahon, will we ever see their likes again?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down