GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Game I was ever at ...

+5
redhandman
old98!
bocerty
JimWexford
Jayo Cluxton
9 posters

Go down

Best Game I was ever at ... Empty Best Game I was ever at ...

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:32 pm

So what was the most memorable game you were ever at?

I presume for most it will involve their own county and will be a major trophy winning occasion (please not the League ahem Niamh/RMD). Who were the teams? What was the atmosphere like? How did your day start? Everything! Tell us all!

ps If your memory involves a Dublin defeat keep it to yourself!! Razz (I am waiting for certain posters to come back with 'ah that rules out 8 of my matches ......' Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Best Game I was ever at ... Empty Re: Best Game I was ever at ...

Post  JimWexford Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:37 pm

For the buzz feelgood factor afterwards it was the Meath match last year closely followed by the Armagh game.
Best games besides a club match was '96 Leinster final (Hurling)
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Jayo i have to say mine was the 2005 games we had against Dublin - the drawn game in particular. I have been to Old Trafford, Goodison Park Anfield but never before have i experienced an atmosphere like it - the hairs were standing on the back off my neck. It was end to end stuff - completely exhilirating. At one stage such was the noise of the Dub fans i thought the roof was going to come off the Hogan and Cusack Stands. It wasnt looking good for Tyrone and of course the Dubs were in full voice and then Mugsy pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat. And that only served to increase the noise as now the Tyrone fans had been given a lift and they were in full voice now too.

It was a game that i didnt want to end and yet at the same time i remember feeling very intimidated almost to the point of being scared..

I remember the drawn game too - especially the first few minutes of the second half were it appeared Dublin were going to make a come back of their own the noise again was awesome and the atmosphere brilliant.

I don't think anythinh will ever beat those 2 games - even the winning of the All Ireland was a bit of a damp squib in comparison.

I once saw a program '40 things to do before you die' - one of them should be to go to Croker when the Dubs are playing at the business end of the season during a tight match - the buzz of that and the adrenaline is a must for anyone.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  old98! Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm

honestly now and not just to wind up loyal it would have to be carlow last year vs meath we really were dead and buried wexford fans were dead and the team wasnt much better after the first 15mins the atmosphere was gone, because of wexfords league form and there recent run of wins against meath i lumped on them 200 quid 12/5 also 15 over the phone at half time (i used the have a problem careful loyal) but i was really in yhe dumps solid depressed the jeering we got of the meath support both young and old was cruel there was a lady with a walking stick behind me making comments that mattie must of missed his strawberry breakfast this morning?? and the chats of matty fordes a wa&@e* starting from behind the goal red barry stood up put one over from 45yards the chants now in full swing but we still believed...... ok i think i have to stop now im getting to excited and i dont want to offend or seem to be rubbing salt into some of our most loyal members
old98!
old98!
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

wexford
Number of posts : 406

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 pm

too many to mention

dublin in 05 or armagh 05 derry 95 or 96 when we hammered them. watchin my school win their first hogan in 97 . last years football final.

but to plump for the best game i was at was tyrone minors v kerry minors in 97 the replay tyrone won after extra time 0.21 to 0.20 ! brilliant game pity about the final. the game was in the true home of dublin football parnel park first time i was there as well.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:00 pm

bocerty wrote:
I once saw a program '40 things to do before you die' - one of them should be to go to Croker when the Dubs are playing at the business end of the season during a tight match - the buzz of that and the adrenaline is a must for anyone.

Great stuff lads - some good memories and games there. Just on that point above two thing I must do are a Munster Hurling Final in Thurles (pref Cork v Tipp) and an important Munster game in Thomond.. And at my age I am running out of time! No
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:15 pm

I have been lucky enough to witness some great games that Armagh have been involved in. Have been going to matches since 1990 but it was really 99 before we had much to cheer about. Some of these games ended in defeat for us but they were still great games so here goes.

1999. Ulster final v Down Oisin scores 2-7 (a record in Ulster final, who is frank McGuigan?)
2000. Two games against Kerry in all ireland semi. Oisin scored 1-9 off Seamus Moynihan.
2002. Dublin game in semi final. Great atmosphere and a great game.
2002 final v kerry. fantastic win
2004 ulster final against Donegal. A superb performance against Donegal.
2005 Semi final against Tyrone, although we lost, this game will be remembered for years to come as a classic.

Another great match i was at was the Dublin and Derry semi final in 1993, Johnny McGurk scored a late winner in what was a superb match.

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Tyrone in 2002 - Final Round Qualifier. The spirit and hunger out of the team to come back from 6 points down after half an hour to beat a very strong Tyrone team by 5 points.

Armagh 2002 - Quarter Final. The lost opportunity. 6 Points down with 15 minutes left. Down to 14 men. Hit 6 points without reply, McGarty could have had a goal to win it, and O'Hara blazed a chance at the death. What could have been.

Galway 2007 - Connacht Final. Went to the game in hope, not in expectation. Coming off a poor league where we just survived relegation. But then, what a defensive performance, what a goal, what a feeling at full time! cheers
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Galway vs Kilkenny in 2005, 9 goals will probably never see the likes again.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Galway vs Kilkenny in 2005, 9 goals will probably never see the likes again.

Might see nine goals this weekend in this fixture Clash ............ Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Galway vs Kilkenny in 2005, 9 goals will probably never see the likes again.

Might see nine goals this weekend in this fixture Clash ............ Laughing

Galway have a good goal threat alright.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 am

Galway vs Kilkenny in 2005, 9 goals will probably never see the likes again.

Could this go down as the best game of hurling ever? Maybe there's a thread in this???

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Relive the action.

What a game, Kilkenny stormed into the lead only for Galway to pull them back in and then go aheah. I remember Galway were ahead by 10 points at one stage only for Kilkenny to close it down to about 3 points.

The piece I remember most was when Kilkenny had won a free but Peter Barry then started mouthen to the ref Seamus Roche, he then decides to throw it in and Galway get a goal form it.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Lochgarman Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:25 pm

My favourite game was definitely the Leinster final 96. Great game and amazing to be there after the long wait. Tha All-Ireland later that year and 97 Leinster final were great for the buzz but the game against Offaly was of better quality.
Lochgarman
Lochgarman
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Wexford
Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down