GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referee assaulted

+3
RMDrive
GAA-Fan
black&white
7 posters

Go down

Referee assaulted Empty Referee assaulted

Post  black&white Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 am

Guys and gals, have a question relating to what happens when a referee is assaulted by a player during a game, and abandons the match.

I was playing a game with my club yesterday. With about 10 minutes remaining of the game, our midfielder caught a kick-out and was pulled to the ground. The referee blew for a foul, and the lad who fouled him stamped on our midfielder whilst he was on the ground. The referee only booked the other team's midfielder for this, but the idiot took offense to this, and started verbally abusing the referee. The ref gave him a second yellow, followed by red.
The other team's midfielder then swung for the referee, and shoved him over onto the ground.

The referee promptly abandoned the game. We were two points up at the time.

Both managers spoke to the referee afterwards, he said that he would be reporting the player, and also charging the player with assault (the referee's a guard).

I know from a similar incident in the past that the player is facing a 12 month ban, but any similar incident I've heard of has happened after a match was finished, and their team had already lost.
Does anyone know if our club will likely be awarded the match, or will we have to replay it?
Sligo GAA website is showing the result as pending, but has posted the other results from yesterday night's games.
If we do have to replay it a very dangerous precedent is set. A team losing an important game could send on a lad who's going travelling (or something similar) with the intention of getting a game abandoned, just in order to get a second chance.

Last edited by black&white on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling; more spelling!)
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Referee assaulted Empty Re: Referee assaulted

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Ive got my first game today....I will try it and let you know later what will happen Wink

Seriously, the player will get a years ban, and you might lose the match as a punishment. I think anyway.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:53 pm

Justice would demand that you be awarded the game but that doesn't mean the GAA will see it that way.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:54 pm

If we do have to replay it a very dangerous precedent is set. A team losing an important game could send on a lad who's going travelling (or something similar) with the intention of getting a game abandoned, just in order to get a second chance.[/quote]
No precedent will be set this has occured in all counties and the match replayed. I know for a fact because my club was involkved in 3 matches in a county semi-final (senior) two abonded due to rows we were winning the first day they started it, we were losing the second day we started it anf the third day it was finished.

You will be awarded the game ( I take it was only league) that player will get min 48-96 weeks he could also now face a civil suit by the ref as well- how times have changed.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:41 pm

Will this also be one for the Garda Ombudsman???
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:54 am

JimWexford wrote:he could also now face a civil suit by the ref as well- how times have changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if a civil suit followed. The referee in question is known for being a vindictive ****, and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to get the lad.

The lads from the other team were in shock when he did it. It had been a very clean game up till then. The only issue of contention had been when their keeper injured himself fielding a high ball (he managed to take it in the face and break his nose), and we put the ball in the net from the rebound. They had wanted a free out (despite nobody being within 5 yards of him). Their manager had gotten them riled up after this, and they reckon that's what set the lad off.

Last edited by black&white on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling........... again)
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:13 am

They got the wrong ref.

Did that other clueless clown from Sligo make it out of Croke Park alive?

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:40 am

does it not also mean the offending team have their pitch closed down??

I read an interesting one the other day about a referee in Derry who was reffing a hurling match and one of the players started getting abusive so the ref clocked him Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:57 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:They got the wrong ref.

Did that other clueless clown from Sligo make it out of Croke Park alive?

A don't be trying to blame it on Marty (although his brother is a much better referee). Wasn't his fault that Meath forgot to show up.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:00 am

bocerty wrote:does it not also mean the offending team have their pitch closed down??

It does if a supporter goes after the referee, I'm not sure what will happen when it's a player that does it.

There was a case in Sligo two or three years ago after a championship game where a referee was allegedly struck by a player after the game (think Rich's club were involved). The player was given a 48 week ban, but no pitches were closed down. The match was at a neutral venue, so this may have had something to do with it.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:25 pm

ya two players actually got 48 week bans that time though both i believe did not touch the ref at all but it was the refs word against the players so the county board went with the ref who isncedently is a brother of the ass that refed the dublin v meath game, simply what will happen there black and white is that the player will get 48 week ban, also the club will get fined and you will have to play the game again!! though if it is a league game there could be an arrangement made between your club and the other club.
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm

rich dublin wrote:ya two players actually got 48 week bans that time though both i believe did not touch the ref at all but it was the refs word against the players so the county board went with the ref who isncedently is a brother of the ass that refed the dublin v meath game, simply what will happen there black and white is that the player will get 48 week ban, also the club will get fined and you will have to play the game again!! though if it is a league game there could be an arrangement made between your club and the other club.

If we end up having to replay the game, and we're losing with a few minutes to go, could we send on a junior player (someone we wouldn't miss) to go after the ref and get us another chance at winning it? Twisted Evil
As I've said before, it'd be a very dangerous precedent to set!
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 am

black&white wrote:
rich dublin wrote:ya two players actually got 48 week bans that time though both i believe did not touch the ref at all but it was the refs word against the players so the county board went with the ref who isncedently is a brother of the ass that refed the dublin v meath game, simply what will happen there black and white is that the player will get 48 week ban, also the club will get fined and you will have to play the game again!! though if it is a league game there could be an arrangement made between your club and the other club.

If we end up having to replay the game, and we're losing with a few minutes to go, could we send on a junior player (someone we wouldn't miss) to go after the ref and get us another chance at winning it? Twisted Evil
As I've said before, it'd be a very dangerous precedent to set!

i agree but it is a bit of a strange situation as this is not the first time a ref has been hit or that somebody has tried to hit a ref it must have been bad when he called it off!!! unfortunatly i have seen refs beening hit once or twice before and they never called it off just sent the guy off and reported him........
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:53 pm

It's official. Sligo County Board condone the assaulting of referees.

Our game which was abandoned has been fixed for this Friday night at 8pm.

We have five players working in Dublin City centre who will struggle to make it to this game. The team we played have been effectively rewarded for assaulting a referee. They were losing a game and down to 14 men with 10 min left. Now they are being given a second chance at the game with a full 15, and with us potentially missing 3 or 4 starters. Absolute disgrace.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:58 pm

That's shocking alright B&W - I'd let them have it. They obviously have a few Frank Murphys in their club.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:03 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:That's shocking alright B&W - I'd let them have it. They obviously have a few Frank Murphys in their club.

That's the wierd thing about it, their club would not be regarded as having much influence in the county board.

Our manager rang me a few minutes ago about it, apparantly the impression he got when talking to the county secretary is that they don't want the media (local or otherwise) to pick up on the incident, and they reckon the game being awarded to us would draw attention to it.

I reckon if things aren't going well we'll just send a supporter on after the referee to get another go at it! Twisted Evil

Last edited by black&white on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar!)
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down