GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK the time has come to post your Derby selection?

+3
Jayo Cluxton
bald eagle
clash-of-da-ash
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OK the time has come to post your Derby selection? - Page 2 Empty Re: OK the time has come to post your Derby selection?

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 pm

I'll go with Sea the Stars. I know it is 20 years since the Guineas/Derby double has been done, but Sir Percy in '06 and New Approach last year came very close, so I certainly don't think that it is impossible.

Gan Amhras appeals to a certain extent, but Bolger hasn't been as bullish about him during the year as he was with New Approach or Teofilo, so I'm not sure he is quite good enough.

Fame & Glory looks better than Rip Van Winkle to me, but if Sea the Stars stays, he will have too much pace for all of them.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

OK the time has come to post your Derby selection? - Page 2 Empty Re: OK the time has come to post your Derby selection?

Post  Guest Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 am

This looks to be the best Derby for years, whatever wins will be a superstar! But I cannot get away from Gan Amhras. Provided he takes to the track, then he'll be bang there at the finish. His run in the Guineas was awesome when you think about the pedigree he has got. The extra four furlongs will bring about 12lbs or 13lbs of improvement! Bolger has always said this was his Derby horse and he's got him here in seemingly tip top shape, ground should be ideal too. I'll be very surprised if he's not in the first three.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:12 pm

I going to stick with Rip Van Winkle.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:05 pm

First horse to win both races since 1989, Antrim's last win in the hurling championship.

That's it, Antrim to do the Dubs.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Great performance by Sea the Stars and Mick Kinane. Had him in pole position and just let him go two out. I think he only used the whip once in the final furlong - testament to a great horse and a great jockey!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Well Loyal - what did ya think?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Yes a great ride, a great jockey, a great trainer and a great performance from Sea The Stars! A colt of that colt's calibre is about one in three million, to have the speed to win a Guineas and the staying power to win a Derby takes something really special! I cannot say enough, in fact nothing I do say will really do it justice. It was just awesome.

Poor Gan Amhras was never travelling, he broke well but after one furlong he was never going to win. He couldn't even hold his position as he got shuffled back, it would be very easy to say he didn't handle the track or something went amiss but that was far from the true Gan Amhras.

The O'Brien battalion did well too. Fame And Glory finished runner up to a brilliant colt and with a faster pace probably would have made STS work -although the best horse definitely won.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:25 pm

Rare to see such a comfortable winner of the Derby, and rare that you can call the winner from so far out (I couldn't see any other winner from Tattenham corner). Then in the straight, while all hell was breaking loose around him, Kinane was motionless and just let the horse cruise into the lead. I think he touched him twice with the whip, but he probably could have got away without even that.

How good is he? Well, we won't know for a while yet. I certainly don't think that it was a vintage renewal, so we will have to see STS against some better horses before he can truly be rated among the best in modern times.

Personally, I think he looks big enough and fast enough to dominate in the summer, although softer autumnal ground in Paris may see the Arc prove a trip too far. Still, great winner today, and I'm glad I was on!

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Also great to see an Irish winning trainer and jockey on the day that black armbands were worn in honour of the Master. He'd have been proud of them today!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Really was a bad day for Coolmore - they just finished runner up with Dunkirk in the Belmont stakes (3rd leg of the US Triple Crown) - talk about being the bridesmaid for the day!

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:40 pm

He'll be lucky not to be thrown out!

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Yeah, he was lucky enough not to be thrown out. The American's are always quick to hype a horse. So much talk about Mine that Bird, but while his finish in the Kentucky Derby was spectacular, he was trounced in the Preakness by a filly, yet that was pretty much overlooked tonight.

From what I have seen of the US Triple Crown, the only star 3-year old there is Rachel Alexandra - and she is a star - a bit like an American Zarkava!

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:02 am

Yeah Rachel Alexandra looks very very good. Be interesting to see her against Zenyatta! The USA 3yo colts don't look a brilliant bunch but remember before the Kentucky Derby, Quality Road and I Want Revenge were the two best out there and injury deprived the two of them the chance to win a Triple Crown race. Dirt racing is brilliant at the top and when Quality Road won the Florida Derby, he earned comparisons to all the great USA dirt horses that have went before him. I, personally, think he is top class and can't wait for him to come back. Sea The Stars will inevitably end up in Santa Anita in the Classic against all of these I reckon and with the synthetic surface the favouring Europeans, STS could become the first Irish horse to win it. I'd like to see STS have a well earned break and go for the Irish Champion, Arc and Classic. Hong Kong owned too so may end up racing at Sha Tin in Decmeber too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:10 am

True indeed Loyal about the top colts being out. Certainly lots of fine racing to look forward to, and great to see an Irish superstar at the very top of the tree!

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:14 am

Indeed the Irish continue to dominate the racing game!

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:13 pm

Hope ye were all on like ye were told
bounce bounce bounce cheers
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2