GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1972 All Ireland Hurling Final

5 posters

Go down

1972 All Ireland Hurling Final Empty 1972 All Ireland Hurling Final

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 17, 2009 1:15 am

I mentioned the 1972 All Ireland Hurling Final earlier. As a young lad it gave me the love for hurling that I hold to this day. It was a strange type of Championship that year with some very high scoring games. London were designated to play Cork in the semi (!) and lost out in a close run game by 7-20 to 1-12. Kilkenny stumbled over Galway (who had a high scoring QF v Antrim) by 5-28 to 3-7!! There you have it – 115 points scored in the semis – so it had to be a high scoring final!!

And it was – a classic. Cork lead by 5-11 to 1-15 but it finished 5-11 to 3-24! The Cats recovered from an eight point deficit and Eddie Keher bagged 2-9 including an outrageous goal from the Hogan Stand sideline! There were 22 scores in the second half – a total of 33 points! If you can get the video then treat yourself. Watch Skehan, Lawlor, Henderson, Morrissey, Cummins, Chunky, Pa and Purcell against dual player Brian Murphy, Justin, Charlie & Ger Mc, Coughlan, Malone, Cummins and Seanie O’Leary (Tomas’ Dad!) – unbelievable quality stuff!

Ps Patrique – best Final of all? I know Antrim-Galway QF was high scoring too – can you advise!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

1972 All Ireland Hurling Final Empty Re: 1972 All Ireland Hurling Final

Post  Guest Sun May 17, 2009 10:19 am

This was before my time, Jayo. Was the Fan Larkin not on this team?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:This was before my time, Jayo. Was the Fan Larkin not on this team?

He was indeed Loyal - you should try to get a hold of a DVD or video - class game!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Better then Clare 1-13 Offaly 2-08, 1995 All-Ireland Hurling Final?

Now that was my favourite hurling game ever!

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue May 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Better then Clare 1-13 Offaly 2-08, 1995 All-Ireland Hurling Final?

Now that was my favourite hurling game ever!
wexford Kilkenny 93 lenister final first game had it all, from looking like winning it to nearly blowing it and the wait continued also had Merv Hughes handlebar mustach on display at croker.
also 1996 leinster final was possible one of the greatest as well
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed May 20, 2009 12:20 am

In 1972 Cork were favourites have waltzed through Munster, but as often happens in Cork V Kilkenny, the underdog won. Frank Cummings scored an amazing goal in this game, and Cork were well ahead until being swamped in the second half.

That Kilkenny team were the best I saw, until maybe now. Keher, Purcell and Delaney the attacking triangle up front, and all round a side that reached 5 finals on the trot, and may have done a 4 in a row but for serious injuries in 1973. Mind you, who would have denied Limerick their hour of glory in 73?

Great finals I attended were 1963, 68, 71, 72, 82, 90, and 06. Leinster in 93 and 95 were great games/exhibitions as well.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed May 20, 2009 12:38 am

1990 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon May 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Ps Patrique – best Final of all? I know Antrim-Galway QF was high scoring too – can you advise![/quote]

The previous years final (1971) was the better final of that era Tipp v Cats. 'Twas the day that Babs threw off the boots first and then the socks and almost single-handedly (with help from an imperious Ml.Roche at c/h/b) dragged Tipp over the line.
It was a roaster of a day and while Jayo has mentioned the great Cats of the time Tipp weren't without heroes - Roche, Babs, Len Gaynor, Jimmy Doyle, Devaney....cracking game....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 26, 2009 1:15 am

And Francis Loughnane, and Flanagan. I hate to confess I shout for Kilkenny in these games, I first saw them in 1963 and my school wore black and amber.

So 1971 was a disappointment, but a cracking final, especially Babs. However Kilkenny erred in playing Ollie Walsh, he was getting past it. With Skehan as the reserve, I never saw better, I suspect they might have won.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat May 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Not the great Ollie's best day. Early on a high lobbing ball floated in (over the bar barely) and Moloughney tore in along with it and broke his hurl off the crossbar. This seems to have un-nerved Ollie as he allowed not 1 but 2 dribblers by him later on. One eye on Moloughney all day after.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun May 31, 2009 12:37 am

I also saw Ollie in 1967, the day he injured his arm on the train journey to Dublin. Wonderful display that day.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down