GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diarmuid O'Suillivan Retires

+4
patrique
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
clash-of-da-ash
8 posters

Go down

Diarmuid O'Suillivan Retires Empty Diarmuid O''Suillivan Retires

Post  clash-of-da-ash Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 pm

Good player in his day but I think he did the right thing in bowing out grarefully than being embarrassed during the Championship. Looked slow and really lived up to the name "the rock" the last few years but he will go down as one of Cork's greatest ever hurlers. Not to mention a few All Irelands in the back pocket.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Diarmuid O'Suillivan Retires Empty Re: Diarmuid O'Suillivan Retires

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 13, 2009 8:22 am

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Good player in his day but I think he did the right thing in bowing out grarefully than being embarrassed during the Championship. Looked slow and really lived up to the name "the rock" the last few years but he will go down as one of Cork's greatest ever hurlers. Not to mention a few All Irelands in the back pocket.

Agreed Clash - a good hard honest player but right to go at this time!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu May 14, 2009 10:37 am

I listened to an interview yesterday by the Rock and i thought what he said a bit strange - he didnt want to play full back and so he approached the management team to see if they could accomodate him somewhere else on the team. After some deliberation they said no it was full back or nothing.

You would have thought they could have tried him at full forward centre half forward or somewhere up front as a ball winner as they did with Brian Corcoran not so long ago.

he may be too slow but he could have been a handful for a few defences given the opportunity.............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 pm

The Rock was quite a stylish hurler, but most fans simply remember him like Lohan as inspiring with "Hollywood" clearances.

To my mind he as a better hurler than Lohan, and will be missed.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat May 16, 2009 12:49 am

Think they are quite similar Patrique - in a good way. Full of heart and determination - and no little skill!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 am

Once saw he play for Cork in a Munster football final and then playing a hurling match against Galway after it. Won the football match lost the hurling Laughing
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Is his brother Paudie or Podge or whatever ya call him any good?

Don't know how him, Naughtan and Ronan are subs and Aisake is starting? Seems like a completely idiotic decision to me particularly Naughtan. Honest, this lad has to be one of the fastest, paciest players around and he can hurl a bit too! - But he can't get his place on the Cork team?

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat May 30, 2009 1:09 am

There is no way in the world that Diarmuid O'Sullivan would be rated in the pantheon of GREAT full backs in hurling. He's behind Nick O'Donnell, Pa Dillon, Mikey Maher, Martin Doherty, Conor Hayes, Brian Lohan, Kevin Kinahan and a host of others.

Már an seán fhocái: One swallow doeth not a summer make - thereby one big catch and clear does not make a legend out of "the Rock".

Exposed 2 summers in a row by mediocraticy..... Rolling Eyes
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sat May 30, 2009 2:11 pm

He hasn't been great the last 4 years but before that himself and Noel Hickey were the 2 best full backs in the country. I'd say currently there is no better full back than Noel Hickey and I reckon he will go down as one of the best ever.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat May 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Hickey is a hardy bit of stuff for sure and a fair share of hurling in the bugger as well.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:41 pm

O' Sullivan has now announced his retirement from club hurling too - and the reason being that he was going to be forced to weara helmet from now on. And in his own words "at 30 years of age no one was going to tell him what to do"

Seems a bit childish to be honest - he retires from Cork team because management couldnt facilitate him elsewhere in the team and now he packs in hurling altogether because he doesnt want to wear a helmet.

Strange goings on all week with guys quitting panels - though this one takes the biscuit. Surely the helmet was for his own good and also an example to hundreds of young hurlers/camogs throughtout the country.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 pm

bocerty wrote:O' Sullivan has now announced his retirement from club hurling too - and the reason being that he was going to be forced to weara helmet from now on. And in his own words "at 30 years of age no one was going to tell him what to do"

Seems a bit childish to be honest - he retires from Cork team because management couldnt facilitate him elsewhere in the team and now he packs in hurling altogether because he doesnt want to wear a helmet.

Strange goings on all week with guys quitting panels - though this one takes the biscuit. Surely the helmet was for his own good and also an example to hundreds of young hurlers/camogs throughtout the country.
a bit harsh there Boc.
cloyne where knocked out of the cork senior championship so he had no more hurling this year for his club.
Helments are manadory for everyone as of 2010
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 pm

maybe so Jim - but it all seems a bit bizarre to walk away from a sport you love just because he doesnt want to wear a helmet - i note he is now concentrating on rugby, if the rugby authorities ask him to wear something for his own safety is he going to refuse that too.

What the penalty for not wearing the helmet?
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm

bocerty wrote:

fatherhood ..............
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm

bocerty wrote:maybe so Jim - but it all seems a bit bizarre to walk away from a sport you love just because he doesnt want to wear a helmet - i note he is now concentrating on rugby, if the rugby authorities ask him to wear something for his own safety is he going to refuse that too.

at the moment for minor etc it is as follows (Senior will possibly follow suit).
also helment has to be one with a full face guard as well (this is where the problem will lie with some players)
Player enters field without wearing a helmet you warn him/ask him to put one on, if he refuses it is a yellow card offense.
After you issue the yellow card if he is thick enough to not heed the refs advice he is issued with a second yellow followed by a red card.

Be like drink driving when they started to clamp down on it some people couldn't understand the fuss, others could see the safety factor in it and now you have a generation after growing up that know its unacceptable.
Maybe not the best example to use but I only used it to show the mentality of people in this country have towards change and usually change for the better- sur' it did me no harm at all is nearly always said and sur there to soft today.

have to admit I said this myself this year as well, youngest (5) started hurling with club this year and he had to get shinguards, apparently its standard practice now that I didn't know and me bullsh*ting that he'd be alright but then again they ain't my ankles!!
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:

lol!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:25 pm

What I don't understand is how minors are allowed wear Cooper helmets even though they have not passed the safety requirements as there is a big gap in the front of a cooper.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:26 pm

clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunit Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 pm

Outrageous is the perfect word to describe that point.
Gunit
Gunit
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cavan
Number of posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down