GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze

+5
mossbags
bald eagle
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
JimWexford
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze Empty Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Kerry’s false Gods don’t merit worship
My father once told me that he was actually disappointed when he first got to watch a Kerry team in the flesh.

Born in the 1940s, his knowledge of Kerry was gleaned entirely from the radio. Back then,

commentators used their considerable poetic licence to paint vivid and lasting portraits.

Brainwashed by RTE’s hyperbole, my father thought the typical Kerry footballer was about seven foot tall, had shoulders the width of barn doors, and muscles rippling from every sinew. A veritable Kingdom of Cuchullains.

Then in 1958 Derry won the Ulster title and the whole show went to Croke Park to see Jim McKeever and the lads take on Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final.

Watching from the Hogan Stand, my father still recalls the sense of anti-climax when 15 ordinary-looking men took to the field in the green and gold.

Patsy McLarnon was as strong, and Hugh Francis Gribben was as broad, and Colm Mulholland was as fit, and Sean O’Connell was as skilful, as any Kerry man. Derry won.

Fifty years ago, the mythology surrounding Kerry footballers was entirely understandable – but there is less excuse for it nowadays.

We no longer depend on Micheal O’Hehir. A constant supply of live televised games provides us with empirical evidence to make rational and logic-based decisions, yet the veneration of Kerry’s false Gods continues to flourish.

On Sunday, I pored over the various Championship supplements that came with the newspapers and read pundit after pundit, ex-footballer after ex-footballer, and journalist after journalist tipping Kerry to win the Sam Maguire Cup.

Why? Why? Why? Let’s consider some basic facts. As of last September, Tyrone are the best team in Ireland, and nothing in particular has changed since then.

Moreover, when Tyrone play Kerry in the

Championship, Tyrone win. We know this to be true. We’ve seen it happen three times: in 2003, in 2005 and in 2008.

If a horse beat another horse on three successive occasions, the losing horse is never the favourite for the fourth race. Yet this is precisely what happens with Kerry.

The counter-argument is that Kerry must win some time and there is no greater motivation than revenge.

But look at it another way. If Tyrone had lost to Kerry in 2003, 2005 and 2008, would a vast body of opinion be arguing that it’s only a

matter of time before the Red Hands win? No chance.

Tyrone would be universally written off and dismissed as northern chokers. But Kerry are never subjected to this type of harsh appraisal. Why?

Less than 12 months after beating Kerry for the third successive time, Tyrone are already regarded as being second best to Jack

O’Connor’s side – even before a ball is kicked.

When you think about it closely, it’s actually quite insulting. For some reason there is a general unwillingness or inability to recognise Tyrone’s superiority.

Bear in mind that Tyrone should actually be stronger this year. Stephen O’Neill, the former Footballer of the Year, is back. Brian McGuigan has a further year of recuperation under his belt and is hoping to start against Armagh, while Owen Mulligan has enjoyed a good League campaign and has stayed injury-free. Mickey Harte won last year’s All-Ireland title without having a fully-fit O’Neill, McGuigan or Mulligan.

But in Sunday’s newspapers there was little focus on why Tyrone would be better in 2009. It was Jack O’Connor and Tadhg Kennelly and David Moran and blah blah blah?

Did these people not see the League game between Kerry and Tyrone in Omagh earlier this year?

When Tyrone woke up and decided to compete in the second half, they played Kerry off the park. It was the same old story and the same old Kerry. They scored one point from play after the break.

Anyone who thinks that the analysis and predictions drawn up ahead of this year’s Championship will go unnoticed by Tyrone are

entirely mistaken.

The wholesale deference towards Kerry will reinforce the notion that northern champions are seen as second-class champions.

The painful truth is that the admiration and respect that Ulster gaels have extended towards Kerry has never been reciprocated.

When Down refused to roll over and die in the 1960s, it was because they used sneaky tactics. They broke the ball. They didn’t play by Kerry’s rules. Mick O’Dwyer still struggles to accept that Kerry couldn’t beat Down.

Pat Spillane is another Kerry elitist. Spillane told The Sunday Tribune that football is not what it was in his heyday.

Isn’t it strange how football is always going through a crisis for Pat when an Ulster team are All-Ireland champions?

Then again, Pat probably hasn’t watched a repeat of the 2005 All-Ireland final. If he ever does get a copy of the tape, and then brings himself to actually watch the team playing in red and white, he will witness one of the most consummate and complete displays ever

produced in Croke Park.

When Kerry were on top, we in Ulster paid them due homage. But now that Tyrone are the champions, it’s not quite the same.

Kerry men will concede that Mickey Harte is a great manager, but they’ll never agree that Tyrone have a better team.

And the begrudgery isn’t exclusive to Kerry. It’s pretty much nationwide and the media are

particularly culpable.

When Kerry win All-Irelands it is because they play champagne football. Ulster teams rarely receive the same eulogies.

Armagh “ground” their way to victory against Kerry in 2002.

In 2003 Spillane’s accusation of puke football was gleefully repeated in the press. The nitpicking that started in the 60s has never stopped.

A few days after last year’s All-Ireland final, two of the most respected GAA reporters in the country wrote columns criticising the referee’s performance. Apparently the failure of Maurice Deegan to penalise systematic fouling contributed to Tyrone’s victory.

Somehow there never seems to be the same

browbeating and state of the nation concerns when other southern teams are involved.

When Meath thumped, kicked, and bullied Tyrone out of Croke Park in 1996 the general consensus was that it was “a man’s game”.

When Kerry win, it’s because they have the best footballers in the country. When Tyrone win, it’s because of their cunning manager, or their bending of the rules, or their blanket defence, or their tactical fouling.

Sunday’s newspapers confirmed all these assumptions.

Less than a year after Tyrone’s epic victory and the majority of pundits and reporters still reckon Kerry are the best bet to win this year’s All-Ireland title.

The radio age is dead and gone, but Kerry men

continue to enjoy the type of iconic status denied to the mere mortals from Tyrone.

In 1958, my father realised that the men in green and gold weren’t gifted with any superpowers.

Others who’ve been in Croke Park on countless

occasions still seem to be struggling with this basic concept.

But then again, as no doubt Mickey Harte will tell his players, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Back to top Go down

Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze Empty Re: Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze

Post  JimWexford Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Well written piece but pray tell what relevance is it. Kerry, Tyrone are up there in most peoples eyes. so a few journo's harp on about Kerry so what it happens in all sport there is one sugar daddy and that's it. People latch onto this figure and through good times and bad times they still remain the benchmark- thats what 35 senior titles do for you.
Open to correction on these points as i am writing of the top of my head
-since back door qualifiers etc came in are they not the only team to get to the All ireland 1/4 final every year.
-Have they not won more all ireland since the qualifirs came in
-they have won more all-irelands pre qualifier days as well.
so Kerry are the benchmark the prennial favourites why you may ask because they possibly have the best footballers-individually (agree a debatable point). Tyrone may have the best team as in teramplay, teamwork, as a unit- no arguements here but the kingdom are brillant individual performers-Eoin Broson running through the heart of a defense scoring a goal using pure raw power , he goes replaced by a certain Tommy Walsh etc, the Gooch, the O Shea's, Maurice Fitz, Moynihan etc etc (these are only lads over the last 10/15 years. Do the same names ring off for other teams!!
Kerry are Kerry = Football to most folk in the country, maybe that's why it's not running anyone else down, its showing them what they have to aspire to.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze Empty Re: Todays Irish News- Against the Breeze

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Oh oh Ulster victimisation and woe poor us and shoulder chips appearing on horizon ......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue May 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Jayo i think victimisation is a strong word and its not one i would use to desctibe how we have been looked upon since 2003.

I think you possibly have to come from Ulster to understand the bullshit we put up with when an Ulster team is successful. As the article says if it wasnt puke football it was systematic fouling or it was blanket defence - there was always some smear campaign by certain sections of the media and from supporters of other counties which were some attempt to beittle the success of Ulster counties.

Yes the 03 final wasnt pretty but we won that was the main thing all we listened to after that was the infamous puke football term from Mr Spillane. In 05 we gave a much different display and played Kerry of the park and yet there were still the begrudgers same last year when we beat them again.

The other side of the coin is some of the begrudgers are from our own province and they use the same arguments the main one being we done it through the back door. Coupled with that a lot of Dublin Wexford Cork fans (to name but a few)in recent years all wanted us to beat Kerry in each of the finals - i remember 05 and 08 in particular every Dub i met after the matches said they wanted us to beat Kerry.

Perhaps its just human nature but there is no pleasing some people.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 pm

bocerty wrote:Jayo i think victimisation is a strong word and its not one i would use to desctibe how we have been looked upon since 2003.

I think you possibly have to come from Ulster to understand the bullshit we put up with when an Ulster team is successful. As the article says if it wasnt puke football it was systematic fouling or it was blanket defence - there was always some smear campaign by certain sections of the media and from supporters of other counties which were some attempt to beittle the success of Ulster counties.

Yes the 03 final wasnt pretty but we won that was the main thing all we listened to after that was the infamous puke football term from Mr Spillane. In 05 we gave a much different display and played Kerry of the park and yet there were still the begrudgers same last year when we beat them again.

The other side of the coin is some of the begrudgers are from our own province and they use the same arguments the main one being we done it through the back door. Coupled with that a lot of Dublin Wexford Cork fans (to name but a few)in recent years all wanted us to beat Kerry in each of the finals - i remember 05 and 08 in particular every Dub i met after the matches said they wanted us to beat Kerry.

Perhaps its just human nature but there is no pleasing some people.

Ah but sure everyone gets it Boc - especially us Dubs - believe me. I'd take no notice of it. Spillane is there to stir s**t - best ignored! I was at the QF last year Sad Sad and would see it more as total football tbh.

I wish though - for their own sake - they cut out a couple of niggly things that they don't need. It could make a big difference to perception!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue May 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Oh oh Ulster victimisation and woe poor us and shoulder chips appearing on horizon ......

Where's that spoon?

I think Paddy Heaney's being clever here, putting extra pressure on Tyrone before the start of the championship. He's definately not known for his love of Tyrone that's for sure. I must get at him about it the next time i see him!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue May 12, 2009 4:29 pm

BE - he may not have love for Tyrone but he has a certain amount of admiration for them. I dont think he is trying to heap the pressure on at all.

I was thinking more along the lines he accepts tyrone have the most relasitic chance of beating Kerry this year and was trying to perhaps put the cat amongst the pigeons in the event that the two should meet this year.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 pm

bocerty wrote:BE - he may not have love for Tyrone but he has a certain amount of admiration for them.

A lot of us had admiration for Tyrone and not much love for them, and while they may be the best chance of a team beating Kerry, well for me that's just too soon to say. Second season syndrome is rife in Tyrone so i'll be watching on keenly to see if they will negate this previous thorn.

I personally feel the gap isn't as big as people think, but what i will say is i'm looking forward to this years Championship more than previous years. I think we have a great summers football ahead of us!

What price a final without Kerry and Tyrone? Loyal?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:10 pm

bald eagle wrote:
I must get at him about it the next time i see him!!

Wile man for name dropping!lol Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:12 pm

BE

Its 4/5 for Tyrone for Kerry

10/11 the field

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 12, 2009 5:19 pm

I think Paddy Heaney is a sound man - and his poems have brought great glory to Ulster .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Aw Jayo you and your jokes!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm

bald eagle wrote:
bocerty wrote:BE - he may not have love for Tyrone but he has a certain amount of admiration for them.

A lot of us had admiration for Tyrone and not much love for them, and while they may be the best chance of a team beating Kerry, well for me that's just too soon to say. Second season syndrome is rife in Tyrone so i'll be watching on keenly to see if they will negate this previous thorn.

I personally feel the gap isn't as big as people think, but what i will say is i'm looking forward to this years Championship more than previous years. I think we have a great summers football ahead of us!

I don't know but I make it about 8/13 for neither of them to win it. Because 7/2 (Tyrone) and 13/8 (Kerry) coupled is 33/20 or so. Therefore its 20/33 for neither or 8/13 approx.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Dosen't sound right though.

My maths could be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

I don't know but I make it about 8/13 for neither of them to win it. Because 7/2 (Tyrone) and 13/8 (Kerry) coupled is 33/20 or so. Therefore its 20/33 for neither or 8/13 approx.

10/11 the field

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:39 pm

NiamhDerry wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

10/11 the field

Who asked ya?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Loyal? was what was written implying Loyal do you know..you aren;t sure but I know!

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm

NiamhDerry wrote:Loyal? was what was written implying Loyal do you know..you aren;t sure but I know!

Can you flesh that out a bit Niamh. scratch
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 6:52 pm

I'll decode that message later, Niamhy.

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue May 12, 2009 6:53 pm

But Niamh those odds aren't what BE was asking for, I don't think anyway!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 pm

I know he asked whats the odds not to make final but they don't give them they only give other than big 2 whats odds on other county to win AI

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue May 12, 2009 7:40 pm

NiamhDerry wrote:I know he asked whats the odds not to make final but they don't give them they only give other than big 2 whats odds on other county to win AI

Well that clears that up then scratch
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Has anyone managed to decipher either of Niamhy's last two messages?

I'm sure there is a hidden message in there somewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 12, 2009 11:18 pm

The Northern media are completely biased against southern teams, it is an utterly shameful tactic. And petty.

Thank goodness for the fair minded Dublin based press.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed May 13, 2009 8:10 am

Not a bad article I suppose but very much trying to tell the masses what they want to hear.

There are 3 very true point in it IMO.

NiamhDerry wrote:For some reason there is a general unwillingness or inability to recognise Tyrone’s superiority.

The wholesale deference towards Kerry will reinforce the notion that northern champions are seen as second-class champions.

The painful truth is that the admiration and respect that Ulster gaels have extended towards Kerry has never been reciprocated.

And in the last bit you can replace "Kerry" with "Non Ulster teams".
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next