GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antrim v Donegal

+7
RMDrive
patrique
mid-mon man
mossbags
rich dublin
Jayo Cluxton
North Side Gael
11 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Antrim v Donegal - Page 2 Empty Re: Antrim v Donegal

Post  RMDrive Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Here's the Donegal team I'd like to see starting

01. Durkan (It's tough to call this between boyle and him. Boyles kick-outs are way more accurate but Durkan is able to command the square beetter.)
02. Lacey (Hopefullly he will be fit enough but I'd be more worried about him being rusty afer being away for so long. We don't any better though.)
03. McGee (The thought of this man being our FB for the championship gives me the heeby-jeeby's but we have no one better)
04. McDaid (Had a good league)
05. McGlynn (A good man going forward)
06. Cassidy (Hopefully he can display some of the class that I know he has. We need him to improve on his ball distriution and get it into the forwards early)
07. Dunnion (If he's fit enough then he will be a great asset. He's lightning quick and a good defender.)
08. Gallagher (Slow but a strong fielder in the middle of the field. Hopefully Christy and him can get a good partnership going)
09. Toye (So far this year this man has shown us some of the class that we know he has. I really hope he is able to keep it going into the championship. Our chances of success hinge of players like him
10. Bonar (Massively important but prone to fits of petulance both on and off the field)
11. Roper / Dunne (Don’t know who to go with here. Both are similar in a lot of ways. Roper doesn’t have the legs for a full 70min though so I’ll go with Dunne who had a good league campaign, with Roper to be the impact sub)
12. Kavanagh (Has yet to shine this year. Seems to be taking way too much out of the ball and I wonder if the pressure of the captaincy is getting to him. It’s vital that he is able to give good early ball into the forwards)
13. Griffin /Walsh (I’m going to go with Griffin as I think that Walsh tends to slow the game down too much. Griffin can be an effective forward and I’d like to see him stay in the FF line with Donegal lining out in an orthodox formation)
14. Murphy (It’s a terrible amount of pressure on his shoulders however Donegal’s chances of success rely on this man more than any other. He’s a real talent and I think he will shine)
15. McFadden (If Murphy can perform I think it will benefit Colm Anthony. He’s a very inconsistent footballer but at the same time is capable of a massive performance on any day. I’d like to see us use the high ball into him and Murphy and both are well able to field)
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:28 pm

I have a feeling about Antrim..I've had it since the start of the championship, cant go changing my mind now

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:I have a feeling about Antrim..I've had it since the start of the championship, cant go changing my mind now

I've a feeling about you Niamh.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:29 pm

RMDrive wrote:
Bright-Oak wrote:I have a feeling about Antrim..I've had it since the start of the championship, cant go changing my mind now

I've a feeling about you Niamh.

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:33 pm

Donegal are my tip for Ulster and still are, the biggest thing between them and an Ulster final is over-confidence as there are some awful teams left in their side of the draw.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:40 pm

this could be very tight you know. sligo beat donegal in a challenge a couple of weeks back by 4 points now i know challenges are not worth much but still it was in there own back yard!!! antrim are no great shakes but will be hard beat.

in saying all that if donegal get there act together they can be very very good.

donegal by 4-5 points id say
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:59 pm

bald eagle wrote:Donegal are my tip for Ulster and still are, the biggest thing between them and an Ulster final is over-confidence as there are some awful teams left in their side of the draw.

Sorry - there are no awful teams in Ulster ................ Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 pm

bald eagle wrote:Donegal are my tip for Ulster and still are, the biggest thing between them and an Ulster final is over-confidence as there are some awful teams left in their side of the draw.

Spot on, they haven't kicked a ball yet and all they have to do is beat Antrim and Cavan to get to the final! Unreal stuff, it really is there on a plate for them. They're still 4-1 for Ulster, surely worth a few quid! The only team I could have seen causing them any bit of trouble was Fermanagh and O'Rourke masterminding a tactical win with dour play. I didn't actually see the whole game against Cavan but the result wasn't a surprise to me. What I heard after from some was word for word what I thought after last years Ulster final, "They were sh**e but would have won if they'd a decent free-taker". Cavan have some good players, none more so than Johnston, fantastic footballer, but not enough all round.

Anyway, as regards this particular match, Donegal absolute certs.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Can't see past Donegal here either but how is the mood of the dressing room this year - RMD .... enlighten us please ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Can't see past Donegal here either but how is the mood of the dressing room this year - RMD .... enlighten us please ....

I hear spirit levels are high......

that's because vodka's going cheap down at Tesco... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:12 pm

It will be a RUM show if they don't win by a few PINTS. Fitness may be the deCIDER but Donegal will be anxious to SCOTCH any rumours about disharmony - HEINO who I think will win - even without Jimmy Mc GUINNESS who may be older BUDWEISER!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Don't HARP on about it JC;)

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Can't see past Donegal here either but how is the mood of the dressing room this year - RMD .... enlighten us please ....

It's all been fairly quiet from what I hear. Having Lacey and Dunnion back has given a good boost and there have been no rumours of unrest.
I'd be worried that the Ulster final could be seen as a given - and it by no means is - but I think that John Joe will have everyone focused on the Antrim game only.
It's a great chance to get to the Ulster final.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 am

Really wouldnt write antrim off on this one, things are going very well for them at the minute and confidence is about the highest its been in a decade. I take nothing away from Donegals footballing ability but Antrim are very hungry for success and under Liam Bradley, I think donegal are going into this one blind as well with everyone writing off Antrim before a ball is kicked. Antrim football will come good someday theres been a lot of work put in over a long time and a big pool of players to pick from, watch out Donegal.

Not being cocky just genuinely believe people are talking about the antrim of old while at present Liam Bradley is building a new antrim.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 am

Nearly everyone may be writing off Antrim, but I really doubt the Donegal team and management will be taking Antrim lightly. It is a great chance for them to get to the Ulster final, but because of this I'm sure John Joe Doherty and co. won't be over-confident and let this opportunity pass. No offense to the Antrim lads, and it would be great to see yous win a game, but I don't see Donegal losing.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Donegal to win Ulster. Said it as soon as the draw was made, haven't seen anything yet to make me change my mind.

Antrim are better organised, won promotion, but you cannot overcome all the old problems in one year.

Yet again we line out short of a number of talented players, but that has always been the way in a County dedicated to clubs, with little or no interest in the county team.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Donegal Team named:

No. Name (As Gaeilge) Name (In English) Club (As Gaeilge)
1 Pol Ó Durcain Paul Durcan Na Ceithre Máistrí
2 Éamonn Mac Aoidh Eamon Mc Gee Gaoth Dobhair
3 Niall Mac Aoidh Neil McGee Gaoth Dobhair
4 Carl De Léis Karl Lacey Na Ceithre Máistrí
5 Barra Ó Dúinín Barry Dunnion Na Ceithre Máistrí
6 Caoimhín ÓCaisside Kevin Cassidy Gaoth Dobhair
7 Micheal Mag Uidhir Michael McGuire Naomh Columba
8 Niall Ó Gallachóir Neil Gallagher Gleann tSúilí
9 Brendan Ó Baoill Brendan Boyle Ard A Ratha
10 Ciarán Ó Cnáimhsí Ciaran Bonner Gleann tSúilí
11 MichealOhÉigheartaigh Michael Hegarty Cill Charta
12 Ruairí O Caomhanach RoryKavanagh (Capt) Naomh Adhamhnáin
13 Colm Mac Phaidin Colm McFadden Naomh Micheal
14 Micheal O Murchú Micheal Murphy Gleann tSúilí
15 Conall Ó Dúinn Conal Dunne Naomh Adhamhnáin

Some real surprises in the team - the biggest of which is the absense of Christy Toye. He must have picked up a knock. I'm also surprised at the inclusion of Boyle at MF. The absense of Toye would have made that decision easier but I would have dropped Bonner back to MF and then brough in Roper to the half forward line.
The 2 McGees in the FB line will mean that I'm going to be nervous as hell from now until the game is over (I think they have that affect on a lot of Donegal people). They are always liable to give away a penalty or to get a red card. Not the type of control and sense you want from your FB line.

I'm still confident we'll win.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Ah jaysus, and me with Toye in my team!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:12 pm

mid-mon man wrote:Ah jaysus, and me with Toye in my team!

Yeah, that was the first thing I thougt of too MMM Very Happy
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Is he even on the bench RMD? Bad blow for Donegal but sure they'll do it without him anyway.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 pm

mid-mon man wrote:Is he even on the bench RMD? Bad blow for Donegal but sure they'll do it without him anyway.

They've only released the 15 names and I haven't heard exactly what is wrong with him so I don't know.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Dont think Donegal will win this confortably, Antrim have made a lot of progress this year and have built up a lot of momentum.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:30 pm

No Toye no Roper and no Devenney. A lot of experience on the bench (if they are even on the bench) When Donegal played Derry, Toye and Roper were the two players that kept Donegal in the game. I stick by Antrim, I could be well off the mark but Baker Bradley isn't soft, he won Derry with Glenullin 2 years ago and got Banagher to the 1/4s last year. I wouldn't underestimate him just yet. Tomas and Michael Mc Cann and Niall Mc Keever (who was offered an Aussie Rules contract) are all good players, had they CJ mc Gorty back they would be flying but I still think they can do it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 pm

RMDrive wrote:Donegal Team named:

Do you think we are all thick RMD??? Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Donegal Team named:

Do you think we are all thick RMD??? Laughing

Some of them Donegal players have very long names. What is all that about?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next