GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football.

+5
bocerty
KerryKatriona
OMAR
Loyal2TheRoyal
Boxtyeater
9 posters

Go down

The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football. Empty The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football.

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm

So, as it began, 60 years ago, with the "revolutionary" Down style, the anachronistic Nordie bubble bursts.

Indulged, on patriotic grounds, allowing for exceptional players, the Purists (Southern folk), have dispensed with Nordie games, cynical tackling, defensive methods camouflaging mediocratity and opted for a more fluid and entertaining style.

Dublin/Kerry yesterday embellished the game, while previous Donegal/Armagh/Tyrone victories only detracted from the spectacle. Retaining possession/cynical fouling/massed defences were the norm, accrediated to "great managers".......Blah, Blah.

Discuss...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football. Empty Re: The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football.

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I disagree.

I don't think you'd have to search too hard to find examples of possession retention, cynical fouling, a mass defence on both sides yesterday.

It's all about perspective - people see what they want to see. They're also influenced by popular opinion.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football. Empty Re: The End is Upon Us....Nordie Football.

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Biting,gouging,slide tackles, kicks to the head.

The nordies are in a ha'penny place 

2011 Karl Lacey was ruling the roost - he was taken out at all costs 
2013 Gooch was the conducter - half time words were had and three attempts were made to maim him.

Beauty is in the eye of the be- holder 

If the authorities don't intervene we will see some ciaran duffesque moments in late September
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:17 am

Like the good old days. Dublin and Kerry - saviours of the GAA
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 am

thank god for some reasoned sensible intelligent analysis here from Omar and Loyal - the rest need to take their Anti Nordie goggles off.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11 am

The two greatest games of gaelic football that I ever saw were Tyrone v Armagh (2005 AI Semi Final) and Derry v Down (1994 USFC 1st round).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Tyrone's win over Kerry in 2003 remains one of the greatest games I've ever seen. As for Dublin's win over Donegal in 2011, I don't care what anyone says, it was an outstanding match. The insistence that Football is only aesthetically pleasing when it's open is close-minded. Do I want every game to be tight? Hell no. I don't want every game to be the same irrespective of type. Variety is the spice of life.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Agree with TC rearding Derry/Down epic in '94 & Emmet, Loyal & Omar regarding spectacles. Open attacking football is a romantic notion of a by gone era, i love the tactical battles more that a game were its a free for all an open. That does zero for me!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:22 pm

bald eagle wrote:Agree with TC rearding Derry/Down epic in '94 & Emmet, Loyal & Omar regarding spectacles. Open attacking football is a romantic notion of a by gone era, i love the tactical battles more that a game were its a free for all an open. That does zero for me!
nobody wants your nordie muck only yourselves

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down