GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qualifiers Round 3

+8
RMDrive
Boxtyeater
OMAR
bald eagle
Grenvile
Thomas Clarke
Gaa_lover
GAA-Fan
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Qualifiers Round 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: Qualifiers Round 3

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 am

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:In their favour is a 3 week break to recharge the batteries whilst their opponents will have little more than a week to patch up the wounds and injuries and tired bodies.
And, at the risk of looking too far ahead, that build up of back-to-back games would be a killer for Tyrone.  If we are to make an AI semi final, we will have to beat Kildare, Meath and a provincial winner in the space of 14-15 days.  It is a huge task, but I guess we should only be worrying about Kildare for now!

its an unfair system TC - Cork will have a months break which an be a good thing or a bad thing, Meath have 3 weeks whilst the Ulster and Connacht losers have 6 days.  There has to be a happy medium somewhere in there.

If Cork lost a man to suspension for 4 weeks during Munster final he would be back for the next game in all likelihood if the same happens in Ulster final that mans season could effectively be over - there are so many down sides to the qualifiers (the main one being the hammerings some teams are getting) the sooner we have an alternative the better.

That is down to the Leinster and Munster councils favouring their own.  Particularly Munster, and I commented on this very point on the Cork/Kerry thread.  Munster have set it up so that Cork & Kerry will always have plenty of time to recover from a provincial defeat, and regroup for the qualifiers.  To be fair to Cork, though, they were so poor against Kerry they will need all the time they can get to get re-organised.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:In their favour is a 3 week break to recharge the batteries whilst their opponents will have little more than a week to patch up the wounds and injuries and tired bodies.
And, at the risk of looking too far ahead, that build up of back-to-back games would be a killer for Tyrone.  If we are to make an AI semi final, we will have to beat Kildare, Meath and a provincial winner in the space of 14-15 days.  It is a huge task, but I guess we should only be worrying about Kildare for now!

its an unfair system TC - Cork will have a months break which an be a good thing or a bad thing, Meath have 3 weeks whilst the Ulster and Connacht losers have 6 days.  There has to be a happy medium somewhere in there.

If Cork lost a man to suspension for 4 weeks during Munster final he would be back for the next game in all likelihood if the same happens in Ulster final that mans season could effectively be over - there are so many down sides to the qualifiers (the main one being the hammerings some teams are getting) the sooner we have an alternative the better.

That is down to the Leinster and Munster councils favouring their own.  Particularly Munster, and I commented on this very point on the Cork/Kerry thread.  Munster have set it up so that Cork & Kerry will always have plenty of time to recover from a provincial defeat, and regroup for the qualifiers.  To be fair to Cork, though, they were so poor against Kerry they will need all the time they can get to get re-organised.

TC i agree the Ulster Council have the powers to make things easier for the beaten finalsits but given the high intensity nature of our game and the amount of effort the players put in it high time HQ but a rule in place giving players ample rest between games, no one should be asked to play two games within 6 days
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 am

bocerty wrote: TC i agree the Ulster Council have the powers to make things easier for the beaten finalsits but given the high intensity nature of our game and the amount of effort the players put in it high time HQ but a rule in place giving players ample rest between games, no one should be asked to play two games within 6 days

I agree totally. I've long said that the biggest downfall of the GAA is that it is too democratic. Nothing can change without a multitude of ballots, and the counties/provinces are generally allowed to do what they want within their own areas. Even every disciplinary offence seems to have the right to appeal after appeal - it is democracy gone mad.

If the right man/woman was in charge, I'd much rather see an iron fist approach from HQ, and try to level the playing field and cut out the reams and reams of red tape that strangle every aspect of our games.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Lads, lads..

This is the difference between winning and losing. That's what the qualifiers is all about.
The cry was for more competitive games, we've gotten that. Now it's "too many games in a short time"..FFS.

It's football, 70 mins of football, once a week. If you can't stand the heat keep away from the cooker.....

I've opposed the qualifiers from day 1, as it mitigates against club championships, where the talent pool might lie. Championship is per se, knockout. What with XXXXologists, XXXXists, dieticians....

Yerra, you can't beat laps, loads of laps, with the "wire to wire" every 5 minutes.Wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Lads, lads..

This is the difference between winning and losing. That's what the qualifiers is all about.
The cry was for more competitive games, we've gotten that. Now it's "too many games in a short time"..FFS.

It's football, 70 mins of football, once a week. If you can't stand the heat keep away from the cooker.....

Between ourselves, Bocerty and I are delighted with this draw, as it will send us into a quarter-final battle hardened and sharp.

Think of our 'concerns' as the supporters' equivalent of naming a false team selection - mind games, with any Kildare-based voyeurs that Bald Eagle may have allured from Twitter. We'll be ready to go on Saturday night.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 pm

A brother of mine, exiled in Boston but with a fine voice (complete with hand in trousers pocket) does a mighty rendition of this classic number....

Kieran McGeeney is working on it......

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Where are you getting this three week break from? Are Kildare and Tyrone planning on drawing with one another? Meath have 13 days to prepare for this Round 4 qualifier game. Unlike last year when they had 6.

It'll be another trip up to the hill of Tara on the morning of the game - a reminder of Meath's heritage and tradition. A nice touch by Mick O'Dowd to show the Meath players what they represent. He might even show them a DVD of the 1996 All-Ireland semi-final and the 1997 Leinster semi-final three game saga.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
It'll be another trip up to the hill of Tara on the morning of the game - a reminder of Meath's heritage and tradition.

Perhaps if he hadn't taken them up the Hill of Tara on Sunday morning, they might not have died in the last 15 minutes against the Dubs a couple of hours later.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:47 pm

0-18 each up in Celtic Park. Extra time to be played. Following the scores online, looks like there was never more than a couple of points between them, although Cavan seemed to lead for most of the game.

Must be a great game - shame it too wasn't on tv.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Cavan have lost a lot of men - David Givney, Alan Clarke, Martin Dunne.

A fantastic game by the sounds of it though.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:0-18 each up in Celtic Park.  Extra time to be played.  Following the scores online, looks like there was never more than a couple of points between them, although Cavan seemed to lead for most of the game.

Must be a great game - shame it too wasn't on tv.

Cavan 14 to 11 at one stage
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:58 pm

This Kildare goalie is an awful eejit - likes attention. Sooner or later, he's gone to cost Kildare with his messing. Could be today.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Cavan goal !!
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Terrific result for our neighbours Cavan. No easy call to go to Celtic Park to tackle what looked an on-song Derry and eke out a victory. Further progress can be expected in Round 4.

Kildare were very undisciplined. Rash and lazy tackles were the order of the day and whatever the rest of you think, I thought Joe McQuillan was terribly lenient towards them. SON clearly had the beating of Kelly, who got away with solid murder until it finally caught up on him. Their use of the ball for 35 minutes was shambolic, poor choices taken when comfortable in possession cost them dearly.

Once Tyrone regained control around m/f about the 50th. minute the writing was on the wall for Kildare.
Tyrone will get lots of it from Meath, they have room for improvement, but have at least a fairly strong panel to work from. Interesting week ahead.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Once Tyrone regained control around m/f about the 50th. minute the writing was on the wall for Kildare.
I don't think we regained it so much as gained it for the first time.  This happened after 43 minutes, when Aidan Cassidy replaced Colm Cavanagh.  I've no idea what game Mickey was watching, but to fail to see us get cleaned out for 43 minutes was negligent.  Cassidy hasn't had a start this year, and so won't last 70 minutes, but he must start next week.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Tyrone strong favourites to beat Meath.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Tyrone strong favourites to beat Meath.
I'd agree with that, although we were strong favourites on the only other 2 occasions we've played Meath in the championship, and were well beaten in both.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Tyrone strong favourites to beat Meath.

Is it Croke Park then next week, or where is the battle for El Crispico fixed for?
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm

End of the road for Geezer & Kildare? If so, how would you rate his time in charge and where to next for him?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:34 pm

bald eagle wrote:End of the road for Geezer & Kildare? If so, how would you rate his time in charge and where to next for him?

I would rate it as very successful - though their challenge hasn't been as strong in the last two years.

Kildare were nobodies before McGeeney came along - people ignore that.

A team that was hopeless when Crofton was there was turned into genuine All-Ireland contenders without any major changes in the squad. If you look at all the players there before McGeeney: E. Callaghan, M. Foley, H. McGrillen, E. Bolton, D. Flynn, P. O'Neill, J. Doyle, A. Smith, R. Sweeney, M. Conway, D. Earley, A. McLoughlin, B. Flanagan and T. O'Connor. Especially players like Bolton, Callaghan and Conway who he got great service out of. The arrival of u21 players from the 2008 team helped.

2010 was the year it got away. I remain convinced that Kildare were strongest team in the country that autumn. Their annihilation of a fancied Meath team proved that. Whatever happened the next day against Down I don't know but they underperformed big time. Cork stepped in and took the honours though I look back at that Cork side and wonder how they ever managed it.

I wouldn't be so sure it's the end of the road for Kildare and McGeeney by the way.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:48 pm

I think that Kildare are just a side in transition.  Their 2 key players in the McGeeney era were John Doyle and Dermot Earley, one of whom is retired, and the other will probably go over the next couple of months.  In addition, a few of the lads who have been great servants aren't quite as good as they once were (Conway, Bolton, O'Flahertys, Callaghan, Foley).

I've been impressed with several of their younger players, and it is just a shame for the Lillies that they didn't arrive a year or 2 earlier, but there are certainly reasons to be optimistic with the likes of Niall Kelly, Brophy, Cribben, Hyland and Hurley around.  Their minors and U21s also won Leinster titles this year.

Critics of McGeeney will point out that he failed to win anything, but he turned them from no-hopers into contenders and, should be quit, will leave them in division 1.

Given the way their summer turned out, and the couple of real hidings that they've received from Dublin this year, I think that McGeeney may feel that stepping down is the right thing to do.  A new voice is probably needed, not just to re-energise things, but also because of the time it will take them to build a new team.  It's a lot easier to stay when you feel that you are almost at the top of the mountain, than it is when you know you are at least 2-3 years away from getting back into real contention.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 pm

I'd disagree on a few things there TC if I may.

Kildare have a proven liability in the scoring stakes, particularly their failure to create or score goals.
Granted and sadly, Doyle has, yet again in 2013, been their most potent forward. The fresher faces you refer to, Kelly, Brophy, Cribben FFS etc., are not up to it in the heat of Summer football, not in 2013, nor will they be any better by 2016.

They're allegedly fit, well looked after, but the stone basic requirement is still missing, scoring power.
In the main tonight they were/looked a mid-table Div 2 side, handy passers in their own half, but bereft of a leader/playmaker who could prise open a defense with a raking ball. On top of all that, in their efforts for success, they've become cynical and negative with their defending.

It reached a point in chateau Boxty the evening, where herself was hoping that Tyrone would tear them to shreds....To me, they have been the antithesis of what football is about and I'm not sorry to see the last of them for 2013 or thereafter.

It's up to their C/B on McGeeney. He's kept them competitive, stabilised the situation, but looks fairly inept when the fat is in the fire. He's spent too much time looking at Barcelona, with their tippy-tappy possession football. Granted, he may have found a couple of Piques, but he'll want a few Messis' as well...

They're out.....I'm delighted.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:09 am

I remember the Donegal v Kildare quarter final in 2011 wasn't a lot between the sides Donegal sneaked it and then went on to win the All Ireland the following year while Kildare have gone downhill since then. As for Tyrone they know how to win tight games i'm not sure about the strength of their panel but once they beat Meath (i think they will) they should give the quarter finals a good lash playing untested Mayo would probably be their best draw IMO.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 am

That was 2011 GL, both teams have moved in different directions. The Mayo situation intrigues me: How good are they really Question I, speaking for moi, can't see them as top 4 material in that they're untested thus far.

I'd put them something like a second-hand RS Cosworth, looking great but is there a reliable engine....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:09 am

Boxtyeater wrote:That was 2011 GL, both teams have moved in different directions. The Mayo situation intrigues me: How good are they really Question I, speaking for moi, can't see them as top 4 material in that they're untested thus far.

I'd put them something like a second-hand RS Cosworth, looking great but is there a reliable engine....

Intrigues me also. Have been told by Mayo supporters over here that this is their best team and squad ever was even told if they were to play the great Kerry sides of the 80s in their prime they would be lucky to get within 6 points of Mayo (i kid you not)

In 1996,97 Mayo under average manager reached back to back All Ireland finals lets wait and see can they match that before hailing the greatness of the current Mayo team.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next