GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion

5 posters

Go down

GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion Empty GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion

Post  emmetryan Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi guys,

My first book, Tactics not Passion, is available now and looks back on Gaelic Football strategy over the course of the past 12 months, starting with county finals in autumn 2011 and ending with Donegal lifting Sam. I've written a post here with more details on it:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you have any questions just leave a comment here and I'll be happy to respond.

Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion Empty Re: GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion

Post  emmetryan Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:37 pm

We shot a trailer for the book, you can watch it here:

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion Empty Re: GAA book for Christmas - Tactics not Passion

Post  Parouisa Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 am

Fair play to you Emmet.

You now have me thinking of penning Passion not Tactics!!!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 pm

The publisher nearly called it that by accident!

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:28 pm

The launch is this Wednesday at 8pm in Kilmacud Crokes GAA Club. All welcome.

I will also have copies with me at tomorrow's Donegal Final for anyone going to Ballybofey.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 am

Fair play to you Emmet - good luck with it and hope the launch goes well. Keep an eye out for Boxty ... any sniff of a freebie and he'll be along.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Cheers. Well we'll have free tea, coffee, and biscuits but he'll have to pay for his own booze and definitely for the book!

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 pm

We have video from the launch up now

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:08 am

Fair play and good luck with the book Emmet.

You have a fair way with words and tactical strategies, but would you think we'll ever see "big, burly full forwards" ever again?

An interesting exercise, a GAATipster team...

B&W is the undisputed goalkeeper.
Bald Eagle will cover one or two of the positions in the full back line. He's an intimidating figure in real terms.

The forum is awash with "tight, uncompromising half-backs"...Jonsmith, OMAR, RMD, Bocerty, RHM, Scoopmine and GF.
Parouisa's height dictates a midfield position.
Thomas Clarke is clearly the choice on the 40' from whom Mugsy would feed off, but I'm in advancing years and no longer contribute the Mark McHugh role. We're a bit light on creativity while overloaded with negative hoors.

Loyal is out on a "personal issues sicknote" and eschews consideration while HG is sitting the Leaving (letter from Fine Gael TD to hand).

We're back, it seems, to Big Jack's philosophy of "lash her long"...You look ideal for the long ball game, welcome to the starting 15..

Draw up a "blueprint" there and throw it up. The great and the good will pick 15 from somewhere.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 pm

If anyone wants to order a copy for a friend in Australia or New Zealand, An Post say you'll need to send it by Friday 7 December. If you want to send it to the US it needs to be in the post by Monday 10 December.

There's a bit in the Evening Herald about the book tonight, you can read it online here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks,
Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Fair play emmet, I'll be adding this to my christmas shopping list. Best of luck with it man!
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 am

May your charts sail up the book charts!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Cheers lads. As for the question about big burly forwards, back when I played Junior C3 Hurling we referred to our full-forward line as the front row due to the size of us (I'm a big lad and I was nowhere near the biggest of the three of us).

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Emmet

Might be worth throwing M Clerkin a copy with a bottle of seasonal top shelf. he Had a slot on OTB during the week with top 5 sports books for Xmas. For what its worth his top GAA shout was the Fr. Maher guy from St Kierans, and top book Tyler Hamilton.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I dropped one in to the Times for him. Should have included a bottle!

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi guys,

If you want to get the book in time for Christmas and live in Ireland, you need to order it no later than 19 December (Wednesday).

You can order from here: originalwriting.ie/bookshop/non-fiction/social-history/tactics-not-passion/

As I've said before, if you are in Dublin I can meet you in town with it.

Thanks for all your support.
Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 am

Was at the launch of The Cups That Cheered – A History of the Sigerson, Fitzgibbon and Higher Education Gaelic Games in Dublin last week by Tyrone man Dónal McAnallen.

Is a good hardback which you can get for around €25 and is well put together and if you played Colleges is a good read. There is also a fair bit about UK competitions. I think BE may be in one of the photos (see small fat bald lad one of the Brit teams).
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Wednesday is the last day people can order a copy by post if they want one in time for Christmas. Thank you all for your support so far, here's my final push before the festive season.

As ever, I will meet anyone in Dublin city centre to sell them a copy if they like.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down