GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pat Gilroy steps down

4 posters

Go down

Pat Gilroy steps down Empty Pat Gilroy steps down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 am

I'm surprised that this topic managed to escape conversation here, particularly as Pat manages the most high profile team in the country. Gilroy was at the helm for 4 years, and delivered 3 Leinster titles and 1 long-awaited all-ireland. That is a good return by anyone's standards, and I think it is fair to say that he leaves the Dubs in better shape than when he found them.

Under Gilroy, a straight-forward operator, much of the nonsense from Piller Caffrey's era was done away with, but I'd say one of his greatest qualities was his ability to quickly identify his mistakes and correct them, even if that meant entirely ripping up the script. The best example of this was his complete abandonment of the 'off-the-cuff' style of play after the 2009 massacre by Kerry. In its place he installed a much more defensive and methodical gameplan, one that was far more suited to his players and the modern game.

So well done Pat Gilroy. An intelligent man who, despite many reservations from supporters when he got the job, showed that a lack of coaching experience or a big-name playing career don't prevent you from being a top manager.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Pat Gilroy steps down Empty Re: Pat Gilroy steps down

Post  Parouisa Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 am

Fair play to Pat - he delivered the big one and no-one can ever take that from him. He did learn the hard way - and don't forget we also got a pasting the year before - though he wasn't in charge.

He had to change things and he did. Though where it all went this year is hard to fathom. Conceding 19 points in a game shows that the defensive strategy was not in place or was not heeded by players ... either way it suggests a problem.

I liked the way Giller dealt with the issues a Dublin manager faces (hype, media, expectation, etc). He was honest, fortright and likeable.

Personally I feel he got quite a bit wrong tactically over his tenure - even in 2011 - but was not as naive as the previous incumbent. A change may be good for all concerned and will give him a well earned rest. I like the idea of Jim Gavin (with two U21 All Ireland's in the last 3 years) taking over the reins. I don't think we have seen enough of these lads in league etc since. Also with Dessie taking over U21s it will give good continuity.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:39 pm

I must say that I queried his appointment at first and yes he got rid of the Caffrey shenanigans. He did well.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:39 pm

after the outside dublin influence , a group of former dublin greats got together to take back dublin football for the dubs , with giller and whelo they trusted and they delivered . caffrey done well before he took over dublin was in a right mess , even last year you could see the respect that these dublin players had for him . the next appoitment is the most important

banjo
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down