GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many Steps

+5
patrique
JimWexford
Jayo Cluxton
bocerty
mullins
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Many Steps  Empty How Many Steps

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Should the amount of steps be increased in hurling and football to maybe 6-7 steps it would probably cut down on referee errors..Corbett took 7-8 steps yesterday but the silence afterwards was deafening from pundits on RTE..But a couple of weeks ago they wouldn't shut up about the Kildare goal..... Suspect
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

How Many Steps  Empty Re: How Many Steps

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:00 pm

mullins wrote:Should the amount of steps be increased in hurling and football to maybe 6-7 steps it would probably cut down on referee errors..Corbett took 7-8 steps yesterday but the silence afterwards was deafening from pundits on RTE..But a couple of weeks ago they wouldn't shut up about the Kildare goal..... Suspect

how would that solve anything - if its supposed to be 4 and they get away with 7-11 steps, then it follows that if you increase it to 6-7 they would get away with 15 steps.

Stupid idea Mullins if you dont mind me saying
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 pm

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:Should the amount of steps be increased in hurling and football to maybe 6-7 steps it would probably cut down on referee errors..Corbett took 7-8 steps yesterday but the silence afterwards was deafening from pundits on RTE..But a couple of weeks ago they wouldn't shut up about the Kildare goal..... Suspect

how would that solve anything - if its supposed to be 4 and they get away with 7-11 steps, then it follows that if you increase it to 6-7 they would get away with 15 steps.

just throwing a question out there boc-if thats you opinion fair enough-how do you stop it then ,stay silent and accept a ref fooked up again..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:

just throwing a question out there boc-if thats you opinion fair enough-how do you stop it then ,stay silent and accept a ref fooked up again..

you should try being a ref for a day Mullins - its all well and good sitting in front of a tv shouting about steps and other ref decisions especially when you have the luxury of several replays - its not that easy when your the man in the middle and decisions have to be made in split seconds.

You cant expect refs to get every call right and to pick out that one incident when he had a very good game overall is nit picking
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 pm

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:

you should try being a ref for a day Mullins - its all well and good sitting in front of a tv shouting about steps and other ref decisions especially when you have the luxury of several replays - its not that easy when your the man in the middle and decisions have to be made in split seconds.

You cant expect refs to get every call right and to pick out that one incident when he had a very good game overall is nit picking

bocerty a few months ago you were calling for a certain ref never to get a game again scratch
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:

bocerty a few months ago you were calling for a certain ref never to get a game again scratch

perhaps you could pull out the post were i said that Mullins
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 pm

A message for Martin Duffy........
bocerty on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:24 pm

.please f**k off to some other sport and stop spoiling Gaelic Football. You are easily one of the worst refs to officiate at a game of gaelic football and are Mr Inconsistent ............Opps Laughing
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 pm

mullins wrote: A message for Martin Duffy........

.please f**k off to some other sport and stop spoiling Gaelic Football. You are easily one of the worst refs to officiate at a game of gaelic football and are Mr Inconsistent ............Opps Laughing

were did i call for him never to get another game in that post????? I was merely offering some advice
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Thread is fair enough - LC did take 7/8 steps and nothing was said unlike the Kildare goal. Maybe the hurley throwing helped Lar but the inconsistency by both the ref and the TV CCCC (ie Sunday Game) is worth mentioning.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Thread is fair enough - LC did take 7/8 steps and nothing was said unlike the Kildare goal. Maybe the hurley throwing helped Lar but the inconsistency by both the ref and the TV CCCC (ie Sunday Game) is worth mentioning.

and Corbett was the only one to take more steps than he should have ..............................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:24 pm

[quote="bocerty"]
mullins wrote: A message for Martin Duffy........

were did i call for him never to get another game in that post????? I was merely offering some advice[/quot

ok Arrow
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 pm

bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Thread is fair enough - LC did take 7/8 steps and nothing was said unlike the Kildare goal. Maybe the hurley throwing helped Lar but the inconsistency by both the ref and the TV CCCC (ie Sunday Game) is worth mentioning.

and Corbett was the only one to take more steps than he should have ..............................

No there are loads of examples and inconstencies. It is the SG I would have more gripe with than the ref as they were well aware of it having seen it many times.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:

No there are loads of examples and inconstencies. It is the SG I would have more gripe with than the ref as they were well aware of it having seen it many times.

JC it was a joke they didn't mention it ..i suppose they were affraid to step on the toes of the premier county....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Whats the grip,
A he takes to many steps blow him up
B. Jaysus ref let the game flow stop blowing up.
Take things in perspective
don't thing the steps thing is an issue most refs accept the fact that if some one is been tugged, fouled the allow the player a few "extra" steps to break the tackle this is to allow the game to "flow".
Inconsistency, a great word and according to Johnsmith I am/will be doing plenty of that in this post as he has me down as ~Mr rules are rules and nothing else.
Consistency is measured by the side of the fence your on, the winners (he was grand) the losers (he cost us the game) the armchair fan (he let it flow) that would be the viewpoint from three different camps and none of those are consistent either.
Mr Wadding I thought yesterday was excellent.
The Kildare goal was only really made an issue to counteract the Down goal possibly.
Rem the SG panels like to see and hear themselves a lot more than I think is healthy, they really think they know more than the rest of us and are controversial for the sake of it.
They are possibly the reason for the Ref slating that is happening up and down the country, don't think I have seen or heard or a year for ref baiting and hanging out to dry like I have heard this year.
My humble opinion.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 pm

JimWexford wrote:Whats the grip,
A he takes to many steps blow him up
B. Jaysus ref let the game flow stop blowing up.
Take things in perspective
don't thing the steps thing is an issue most refs accept the fact that if some one is been tugged, fouled the allow the player a few "extra" steps to break the tackle this is to allow the game to "flow".
Inconsistency, a great word and according to Johnsmith I am/will be doing plenty of that in this post as he has me down as ~Mr rules are rules and nothing else.
Consistency is measured by the side of the fence your on, the winners (he was grand) the losers (he cost us the game) the armchair fan (he let it flow) that would be the viewpoint from three different camps and none of those are consistent either.
Mr Wadding I thought yesterday was excellent.
The Kildare goal was only really made an issue to counteract the Down goal possibly.
Rem the SG panels like to see and hear themselves a lot more than I think is healthy, they really think they know more than the rest of us and are controversial for the sake of it.
They are possibly the reason for the Ref slating that is happening up and down the country, don't think I have seen or heard or a year for ref baiting and hanging out to dry like I have heard this year.
My humble opinion.

jim corbett was clean through..but the question on this thread should the steps be incresed..i agree with you on kildare down..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:45 pm

JimWexford wrote:They are possibly the reason for the Ref slating that is happening up and down the country, don't think I have seen or heard or a year for ref baiting and hanging out to dry like I have heard this year.My humble opinion.

Well Jim (as I said on another thread) in all fairness the main controversies this year have been almost all down to incompetence by refs/umpires. The Sheridan and Coulter goals were just mind boggling in terms of the officials allowing them. I know refs are doing a hard job but when they get it that wrong they have to take the flak.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 pm

Game is gone so fast, has anyone seen a faster field game than yesterdays game.
To be honest steps have always been there (as a talking point) and always will, increasing them won't solve it.
To hone in on an issue which at the end of the day very rarely affects the outcome of a game (overall result, winner couldn't give a monkeys about the side betting etc) shows we are clutching at straws.
Didn't see to many Cats giving out about it at the time (players) and there reaction is a better gauge than any SG panelist.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
JimWexford wrote:They are possibly the reason for the Ref slating that is happening up and down the country, don't think I have seen or heard or a year for ref baiting and hanging out to dry like I have heard this year.My humble opinion.

Well Jim (as I said on another thread) in all fairness the main controversies this year have been almost all down to incompetence by refs/umpires. The Sheridan and Coulter goals were just mind boggling in terms of the officials allowing them. I know refs are doing a hard job but when they get it that wrong they have to take the flak.

I accept that point but a lot of these has been stirred up by the media to another level.
As bad as the men in black were this summer at least we had a good year compared to some highly paid officials in another sport (smaller field, and only one place to score).
But then think of all the "What if" stories get generated
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Ah no I wouldn't have an issue with the steps yesterday - the ref was obviously and rightly distracted by the hurley throwing anyway. But the football goals were terrible decisions and had huge impacts.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 am

Corbett took 7 or 8 steps? He couldn't have, he wasn't far enough out for any of the goals.

7 or 8 steps would have had him in the crowd.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 am

patrique wrote:Corbett took 7 or 8 steps? He couldn't have, he wasn't far enough out for any of the goals.

Corbett took seven steps and hit the ball before his foot landed for the eight step
There were half a dozen Tipp fans sitting near where I was and they all counted them on the screen and
gave each other a few bashful grins when the goal was allowed.

As suggested above the REF did very well in terms of what was a ferocious match and in the context of a thrown hurley maybe the goal was the fairest outcome but in terms of a yes or no answer - He overcarried the ball.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:47 pm

OMAR wrote:
patrique wrote:Corbett took 7 or 8 steps? He couldn't have, he wasn't far enough out for any of the goals.

Corbett took seven steps and hit the ball before his foot landed for the eight step
There were half a dozen Tipp fans sitting near where I was and they all counted them on the screen and
gave each other a few bashful grins when the goal was allowed.

As suggested above the REF did very well in terms of what was a ferocious match and in the context of a thrown hurley maybe the goal was the fairest outcome but in terms of a yes or no answer - He overcarried the ball.

He DID take 7 or 8, I never noticed.

However as one of the very few "back handed" hurlers from my time I know why.

Unless they are top rank, like Martin Quigley or JJ or larkin, back handed hurlers technique is poor as you need to reset the entire body at times to garner power.

Hence the need for all the steps.

any of the three McGourty brothers would have simply buried it without moving.

A simple tap in like that?

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Wrong Pat. CJ would have popped it over the bar if the Tyrone game is anything to go by..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I think the hurl being thrown helped him out but the ref used common sense and didn't let a technicality ruin a good game. Tipp got the rub of the green this year and Kilkenny got it last year.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Lar is doing a version of this with 3 changed to 7 ... Laughing

ps Anyone remember 'Hey Rock and Roll' ? .............

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next