GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free taking

2 posters

Go down

Free taking  Empty Free taking

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 pm

One aspect of the modern game is the use of two free takers one left sided and one right sided by a lot of sides. At times it is something I struggle with especially when there seems to be almost a 50% division on who takes it. E.g take a free from 35 yards out If a free is in line with the left upright the righ footed kicker takes it and if it was in line with the right upright the left footed taker steps up.
Donegal in particular follow this approach with Murphy and McFadden and its almost as if a line is drawn up to the middle of the goal in deciding who takes it.

In my view a team should have a choice freetaker who takes any free from his side or in front of the goal. ie the angle only really becomes an issue if the ball is within 20/25 yards of the sideline on his none preferred side.
In summary I would prefer to have a freetaker who if he is on his game is taking 75%/80% of the free kick possibilities.
On sunday MCFadden was on his game - Murphy was not - Murphy took two frees that were in reality straight in front of goal although marginally to the left. I cant see how the left footer would have been disadvantaged.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Free taking  Empty Re: Free taking

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 am

OMAR wrote:
One aspect of the modern game is the use of two free takers one left sided and one right sided by a lot of sides. At times it is something I struggle with especially when there seems to be almost a 50% division on who takes it. E.g take a free from 35 yards out If a free is in line with the left upright the righ footed kicker takes it and if it was in line with the right upright the left footed taker steps up.
Donegal in particular follow this approach with Murphy and McFadden and its almost as if a line is drawn up to the middle of the goal in deciding who takes it.

In my view a team should have a choice freetaker who takes any free from his side or in front of the goal. ie the angle only really becomes an issue if the ball is within 20/25 yards of the sideline on his none preferred side.
In summary I would prefer to have a freetaker who if he is on his game is taking 75%/80% of the free kick possibilities.
On sunday MCFadden was on his game - Murphy was not - Murphy took two frees that were in reality straight in front of goal although marginally to the left. I cant see how the left footer would have been disadvantaged.

Throw up the Maurice Fitz collage there OMAR so we can all look.....

Here, I'll do it..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down