GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Utd in free fall

+4
Boxtyeater
bocerty
mid-mon man
Jayo Cluxton
8 posters

Go down

Utd in free fall Empty Utd in free fall

Post  Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 am

Looks like Man Utd are going to sign Michael Owen, surely it has to be on a pay as you play contract. Great goal scorer in his day. Thought we did well to get rid of sicknote Saha, now we are trying to sign someone with a worse injury record. Utd need to be breaking the bank to be signing top strikers (or at least signing top young players with big potential) not players who are finished.

Back to top Go down

Utd in free fall Empty Re: Utd in free fall

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:05 am

samin10 wrote:Looks like Man Utd are going to sign Michael Owen, surely it has to be on a pay as you play contract. Great goal scorer in his day. Thought we did well to get rid of sicknote Saha, now we are trying to sign someone with a worse injury record. Utd need to be breaking the bank to be signing top strikers (or at least signing top young players with big potential) not players who are finished.

Sure all ye will get will be Real and Barca's (and City's) scraps! Michael Owen - that's ambition - ye didn't get Shearer but ye got Owen .... Razz

Rumour has it he is also in for Fowler ........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:20 am

Was very sceptical at first about this but sure what have Utd got to lose? Owen will be free, and will be taking a massive pay cut aswell. He'll be taking an extremely thorough medical akin to what Van Nistelrooy had when he joined after he had bad injury problems. Owen has had awful injury problems, but the fitness teams in Newcastle must be absolutely brutal as anyone who joins there seems to be struck down with injury! Utd's backroom team is infinitely better and hopefully Owen will reap the rewards. Even with all his injury problems he still had a very decent scoring record for Newcastle, a goal just over every 2 games, while being injury-plagued and playing in a terrible team who had no desire to win seemingly.

Obviously his fitness is the biggest obstacle, but if he can improve on that then he's as good a finisher as there is about. He's only 29 and far from finished with the right people helping him. He's got a big point to prove, especially in the year leading up to the World Cup. As I say, I thought this was very dodgy when I first heard it, but I'll wait til I see how he fits in before I condemn the deal. Fergie loves a gamble, and more often than not he is right(Cantona, Sheringham, Larsson). Owen will be content just to be at Utd and won't be kicking up a fuss if he's not in from the start. On top of all that, I really doubt this will be the only striker Ferguson buys, this deal won't put a dent in the £80m that's there, this is a daring move but if it doesn't work out it's hardly a disaster.

I know I'm being very optimistic but sure what other choice do you have!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 pm

at least one scouser has a chance at a premiership medal next year!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:11 pm

mid-mon man wrote:
Fergie loves a gamble, and more often than not he is right(Cantona, Sheringham, Larsson).

Ever asked ol' Whiskeynose about Veron or the Rock of Gibralter gambles?
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
mid-mon man wrote:
Fergie loves a gamble, and more often than not he is right(Cantona, Sheringham, Larsson).

Ever asked ol' Whiskeynose about Veron or the Rock of Gibralter gambles?

Still recouped most of the money for Veron from Chelsea.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 am

Veron was the best player on United's books in the last 20 years.Brilliant player.

Didn't work out in England, I think he was shell shocked at the lack of "football" in the games.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:34 pm

80,000 in the Bernebau just to welcome Ronaldo!! Wonder how many will turn up for .... eh, Michael Owen.

United the biggest club in the world ....... Razz Razz Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:80,000 in the Bernebau just to welcome Ronaldo!! Wonder how many will turn up for .... eh, Michael Owen.

United the biggest club in the world ....... Razz Razz Razz

Have to say that I find it bloody mad that so many people would turn up for that. Crazy!! Rolling Eyes
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Find it madding that anyone turns up to those games full stop
JimWexford
JimWexford