GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50

+2
Parouisa
The Puke
6 posters

Go down

FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50 Empty FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50

Post  The Puke Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Just how good a footballer was Matt Connor before the car crash in 1984?
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50 Empty Re: FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50

Post  Parouisa Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:39 pm

A lovely natural footballer (mind you he could swing a hurley too) who knew where the posts were - and the net. I would have put him in the Maurice Fitz category.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50 Empty Re: FAO Boxty and all others on the forum who are over the age of 50

Post  The Puke Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:42 pm

I ask as I spoke with a man from Kerry who told me the only player currently playing that he would rate higher than him is the Gooch. Having never actually seen Connor play apart from the odd highlight here and there I am curious to know whether it was the Polsih beer talking and he was overstating Connor's ability or whether he was telling the truth
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Class. Remember especially his semi final display against Kerry in 1980. I think he scored around 2-10.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Boxty has been detained at the states pleasure after taking the cap of a garda superintendent and slicing it in two with the working end of a Sléan during the course of last mights disturbances in Portumna
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:55 pm

The Puke wrote:I ask as I spoke with a man from Kerry who told me the only player currently playing that he would rate higher than him is the Gooch.

I never saw Matt Connor play in person, but from what I've read, heard, and observed from highlights, he was a fabulous scorer. A long, accurate kicker of a ball, who racked up huge scoring tallies.

Polish beer or no polish beer, it would be hard to argue against that point of view, Puke. Afte Gooch, who is the greatest player still currently playing? Tomas O'Se?Padraig Joyce, maybe? You could put forward a strong case for him perhaps being better than both of those but, even if he wasn't, that is the sort of company he'd be in.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 pm

The Puke wrote:Just how good a footballer was Matt Connor before the car crash in 1984?

Beautifully balanced footballer, equally accurate of either foot. As tall as, but not as solidly built as his brother Richie, he carried with him the ruggedness one associates with all those Walsh Island clubmen of those years.
Unerringly accurate from placed balls, he was equally adept at finding the right pass at the right time to better placed colleagues.

Parouisa commented re: Maurice Fitz and that's about right, with the caveat that while they would be equal skill-wise, Connor always looked to be busy and engaged in the battle, while Maurice, on occasion and on account of Kerry's various styles, by times appeared detached from proceedings.

To answer your query...10/10.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down