GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone Whacked by Brolly

+8
Grenvile
GAA-Fan
banjo
Parouisa
Real Kerry Fan
Thomas Clarke
black&white
bald eagle
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tyrone Whacked by Brolly - Page 2 Empty Re: Tyrone Whacked by Brolly

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri May 11, 2012 11:23 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Why point out only diving (and Tyrone for that matter) when there are many other acts that we accept. Pulling your opponents shirt - we've all done it and tried to get away with it. Calling for a line ball/45/65/free when you know it was never one in the first place - we've all done that too. Both examples are ways we have all actively tried to deceive the referee and in my book diving is just another addition to these.

We all sit on a moral high ground yet we are all guilty of cheating in one form or another, you just don't happen to agree with this form of it!

I agree with that BE. Cheating is cheating, be it diving or anything else that gains you an advantage. There are certain taboos in all sports, and this seems to be one of them in our games (spitting is another - seems that it is fine in some quarters to box a man and break his jaw, but God forbid you spit in his face!). All of these acts are wrong, and for Brolly to write an article highlighting incidents from NINE years ago, is just ridiculous.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat May 12, 2012 1:07 am

Always one of those topics where the wronged will be most vocal.
If that means it was a trait of a team or just an incident that sticks in the craw I just don!t know.
But for what its worth one moment that still stays with me is 2004 ulster semi final. Niall mcready tried to tackle muggsy from behind. Muggsy caught mcready by the arm and fell forward pulling the tackler with him. Mcready saw a second yellow. There can be no doubt in my mind it was not pre meditated and very professionally done.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat May 12, 2012 1:23 am

Some people should have some balls here and call it like it is / was. Dublin are the biggest and hence best supported county in Ireland - others are so in their province - you have to deal with that. The knocks, the jealousy. I find this thread very interesting in that it sees Ulster fans call it like it is/was. Teams can bring great things to the field - and not so great things - unfortunately its the latter that may cost them their place in history - be that as players or teams. Our esteemed and highly commended recent guest will probably be a victim of that (wrongly in that case IMO). C'est la vie.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 am

I would like to endorse the diving or as I'd more accurately term it "going down easy". The good forwards know the habits of defenders so well that they're actually able to engineer frees. It's an art. The subtle jersey pull is also an art. The incident Omar describes is an art.

Anyone who thinks managers don't actively encourage these things are very far removed from reality. The only way to get a shot away in space these days is from free. Hence you play for a free rather than play for a shot under pressure. It's called being "cute".

At this stage, it's up to defenders not to be so reckless with their tackling. Or if they prefer, be reckless outside the 50m but not inside it.

Or else it's up to the GAA to change the rules so that abiding by them will give you the advantage, not the opposition.

The divers should be commended for exploiting loopholes like these.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2