GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Brolly sacked?

4 posters

Go down

Was Brolly sacked? Empty Was Brolly sacked?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:36 pm

cheers

Colm and Pat in the hotseat, no sign of Joe.

A famous day. A tool to the power of a million. A mystery to me how anyone who attended Trinity College got a job analysing Gaelic Games.

Back to top Go down

Was Brolly sacked? Empty Re: Was Brolly sacked?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:00 pm

He wasn't there 2 weeks ago but was there last week.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:22 pm

So are you saying he'll be back. Well it was good while it lasted.

I would advise him to look for his P45 though. A few years ago he said something about Westmeath and not that long after when I was roofing a house near Mullingar, I was told that if he ever set foot in Westmeath, he wouldn't make it out alive. Probably a view that is a bit too extreme but even so, the reality is that Brolly is not a well-liked man nationwide. Apparantly a lot of other counties feel this way too. I don't like him either. He wasn't much of a footballer himself you know. At least O'Rourke and Spillane (while not everyone's cup of tea) were the elite of the elite but Brolly was an average footballer who blew kisses to the crowd. His latest thing with Monaghan is shameful, and if - as I am led to believe - he has now succeeded in getting an eight week ban handed down to Clerkin, well that really is low.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Surely he couldn't do that Loyal. But there does seem to be a conflict in his dual role. Off with his head I say!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm not his greatest fan, let's say. He says uncalled for, unfounded comments personally attacking players, which i simply have no time for. And you're totally right Loyal, he wasn't the greatest player at all-over-rated in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:41 pm

With All due respect Joe Brolly was a brilliant player in the late 90's ask any Donegal man. To say he is overrated is a joke, as I don't hear many people rating him, he has 2 All-Stars 2 Ulster and An All Ireland to his credit, that doesn't come from being over rated it comes from being a dam good player, and he is a good Barrister as well, if youse had a Joe Brolly in you own county you wouldn't be gurning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Brolly was an average footballer, he would not be fit to lace Pat Spillane or Colm O'Rourke's boots. He is the type of corner forward that any Meath back would have loved to mark back then.

Also, the amount of AllStars a player has means little to me. Graham Geraghty has two AllStars as well, but he was a million times the athlete, the footballer, the man that Brolly was. Davy Fitz, the greatest goalie of all time (well I never seen Seamus Durack or Noel Skehan or not that much of Ger Cunningham) only has three AllStars. In short, the AllStars are a joke.

Anyway back to my original point, Brolly is not that well liked (thats putting it mildly) in Ireland.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Brolly was an average footballer, he would not be fit to lace Pat Spillane or Colm O'Rourke's boots. He is the type of corner forward that any Meath back would have loved to mark back then.

Also, the amount of AllStars a player has means little to me. Graham Geraghty has two AllStars as well, but he was a million times the athlete, the footballer, the man that Brolly was. Davy Fitz, the greatest goalie of all time (well I never seen Seamus Durack or Noel Skehan or not that much of Ger Cunningham) only has three AllStars. In short, the AllStars are a joke.

Anyway back to my original point, Brolly is not that well liked (thats putting it mildly) in Ireland.

Don't really like Brolly and find him boring at times.

Davy Fitz has 3 all stars because he was around the same time as 2 of the best keepers in recent times Fitzhenry and Cummins and the All star was usually given based on whoes county got the furthest in the All Ireland.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:03 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Brolly was an average footballer, he would not be fit to lace Pat Spillane or Colm O'Rourke's boots. He is the type of corner forward that any Meath back would have loved to mark back then.

100% agree.

For me, Brolly was an average player too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:09 am

I don't think there is any issue about Brolly's talent as a player - he was not a bad player - I have more concern about barristers involved in the disciplinary process. Its a bloody game for God's sake! This resorting to barristers and the like is sickening - the legal profession does my head in - and to see them take money out of the GAA - and they do - Evil or Very Mad ..
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:56 am

Compared to Spillane, and even O'Rourke, most players would be considered average, such as current "hot shot" Sean Cavanagh.

So let's be fair to Brolly. He was the leading scorer in the country for a few years, but Derry were wary about using him in the championship. When they finally did, they won Sam.

Joe was quite a usual forward, bit of a Mickey Linden about him.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bumpernut Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Is he not still involved with Antrim? If not maybe he decided to go to ballybofey to watch his st.brigids colleagues!
bumpernut
bumpernut
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

antrim
Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down