GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Brolly "analysis"

+12
KerryKatriona
OMAR
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
bald eagle
GAA-Fan
Thomas Clarke
patsymc
Parouisa
RMDrive
whiterbananas
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Joe Brolly "analysis" - Page 2 Empty Re: Joe Brolly "analysis"

Post  Parouisa Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Indeed Boxty.

I am constantly misconstrued, misinterpreted, misquoted and accused of all sorts on here. Mostly by Ulster folk ........

Or maybe I'm biased ......
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Parouisa wrote:Indeed Boxty.

I am constantly misconstrued, misinterpreted, misquoted and accused of all sorts on here. Mostly by Ulster folk ........

Or maybe I'm biased ......

The former i'd say.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Joe Brolly was a disgrace this evening. His hatred of Tyrone was so evident he was practically spitting venom. Nothing we did was worthy of any credit, and every foul was presented as something akin to genocide. He said he would have given the penalty even while conceding it was outside, and even argued that Sean Cavanagh wasn't MOTM.

The man is a disgrace, with his made up analysis and poisonous comments, and tonight he was virtually out of control.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Did you think so yeah?

And he accused McStay and the 'South' of hating Northern teams!! He also got famously stuck into Grimley who is the Armagh manager - so don't feel too unloved there in Tyrone.

Also McStay was equally disgusted with the cynicism and fouling - especially in the last 10 minutes. Is he out of control and poisonous too? Or just saying what everyone saw? Again.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 pm

It's amazing how easy it is to differentiate between hatred and impartial analysis.  I can spot it every time Wink
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He does it with a wry grin and a schoolboy smile. And in some of his utterings he is absolutely correct.

Is McStay hatred or impartial?
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Joe Brolly was a disgrace this evening.  His hatred of Tyrone was so evident he was practically spitting venom.  Nothing we did was worthy of any credit, and every foul was presented as something akin to genocide.  He said he would have given the penalty even while conceding it was outside, and even argued that Sean Cavanagh wasn't MOTM.  

The man is a disgrace, with his made up analysis and poisonous comments, and tonight he was virtually out of control.

Personally, I wouldn't have any time Joe. He appears to strive/thrive on contraversial comments and appears to be a bitter little bollix. RTE are poor in choices of analysts. Dessie Dolan, was for me the pick of the "potential" candidates tried. Measured of thought, erudite when allowed expression and in no way dismissive of any teams effort.
O'Rourke remais the top man and rightly so. Long service as a player through thick and thin, gave and took good belts (fair or foul) and a long time on the analysis team.
Ciaran Whelan is one for the future, if he ever gets the chance to develop an opinion. Between Brolly, with his shoulder chips and O'Hara (grasped a pencil correctly last week) the future looks dim.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 am

You guys should take your personal invective to PM at this stage.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
bald eagle wrote:King Henry sent off, down 0-11 to 0-06 at half time, it has to be curtains for Kilkenny yet i somehow expect them to come back and win!

Harmless enough, but.....(see Kilkenny thread)

I found this interesting, as his 2 fouls were of a similar nature to Stevie O'Neill's last night - innocuous but cynical, and both technically deserving of the sanctions taken.

The hurling pundits all tried to downplay it, saying that referees were taking the physicality out of the game, and implying that Henry had been wronged. The football guys were ready to hang Mickey Harte.

I think there are double standards at play, with most ex-hurlers doing all they can to promote their game in a positive light, with certain football pundits concerned about nothing other than enhancing their own notoriety/payslips.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

I found this interesting, as his 2 fouls were of a similar nature to Stevie O'Neill's last night - innocuous but cynical, and both technically deserving of the sanctions taken.  

The hurling pundits all tried to downplay it, saying that referees were taking the physicality out of the game, and implying that Henry had been wronged.  The football guys were ready to hang Mickey Harte.

I think there are double standards at play, with most ex-hurlers doing all they can to promote their game in a positive light, with certain football pundits concerned about nothing other than enhancing their own notoriety/payslips.

Yerra both cardings were harmless issues. The Kildare f/b, Kelly, ought to have seen the line 40mins. earlier, persistent dragging and bollocksing on O'Neill. SON was ridden side-saddle in Newbridge, last night he took 1for the team....Granted, the tackle o0f a spent force, but he lives to fight anotherf day.

While SON's misdemanour will hardly haunt him, Shefflin's errors might bite him later on.
Both cases were of genuine sportsmen not at their peak, mentally or physically.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

The man has completely lost the plot. Ranting like that at the taxpayer's expense is completely out of order. The other panelists looked embarrassed, as Brolly was out of control. I notice that Joe was a lot better behaved later in the show, and even on twitter the nastiness has disappeared from his comments, leading me to believe that he got a strong slap on the wrist from RTE after his outburst.

As for Cavanagh, I thought he spoke very well in the below interview with Parkinson (no, not that one), and I like the interjection from David Brady to advise that he and Dara O'Se rated Sean as 10 times the man that Joe Brolly ever was.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:The man has completely lost the plot. Ranting like that at the taxpayer's expense is completely out of order.  The other panelists looked embarrassed, as Brolly was out of control.  I notice that Joe was a lot better behaved later in the show, and even on twitter the nastiness has disappeared from his comments, leading me to believe that he got a strong slap on the wrist from RTE after his outburst.

As for Cavanagh, I thought he spoke very well in the below interview with Parkinson (no, not that one), and I like the interjection from David Brady to advise that he and Dara O'Se rated Sean as 10 times the man that Joe Brolly ever was.

I see philip Jordan got entangled in the twitter aftermath
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:55 pm

an ******** of the highest order - there is no doubt about that now.

He was way over the top in what he said and needs to be removed from that panel immediately. Its an element of our game i hate hence being an advocate of the back card system. But name me one player in the country who wouldnt do it?

Its obvious lots of people dont know the rules of the GAA calling for Cavanagh to be sent off, there is no rule covering this and men like Martin Carney should know better. Oisin McConville was at the same **** on BBC but then his anti Tyrone bias is evident for all to see.

Joe never mentioned Shields clear lift of the ground which was no better than what Cavanagh done but then consistency is not his strong point.

For a man who spends most days of his life defending terrorists, rapists, Paedos and other such scumbags he has some neck questioning Cavanaghs credentials as a man.

if arseholes were scarce he would take two of them..................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Joe lost his cool, we all do it from time to time, but who exactly is David Brady to come out with horsesh1t like 'you're a better man than Brolly will ever be'? Just look at what Brolly has done in the past year, donating a kidney to a mate and everything with the Opt For Life campaign, people need to remember that there are essientally 3 Joe Brollys, the TV pundit Joe, the courtroom Joe & the private Joe. People make a judgement on the TV pundit Joe. He was completely wrong to personally attack Sean, he knows that himself but people need some perspective when spouting crap like Brady did about Joe also.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:04 pm

bald eagle wrote:Joe lost his cool, we all do it from time to time, but who exactly is David Brady to come out with horsesh1t like 'you're a better man than Brolly will ever be'? Just look at what Brolly has done in the past year, donating a kidney to a mate and everything with the Opt For Life campaign, people need to remember that there are essientally 3 Joe Brollys, the TV pundit Joe, the courtroom Joe & the private Joe. People make a judgement on the TV pundit Joe. He was completely wrong to personally attack Sean, he knows that himself but people need some perspective when spouting crap like Brady did about Joe also.

considering what he has been through BE he should realise that in the grand scheme of things what happened was no big deal. No one died no one got hurt it was a game of football end of.

If he has 3 egos then its time he decided which one was the real one - you cant go on tv spouting ***** like that and expect to get away with it. That was disgraceful and it premeditated and now two weeks in a row so folk cant say it he lost his cool.

He likes to be sensational and controversial and changes his mind like most folk do their socks.

He was due in Tyrone at a fundraising event this Wednesday - i hope to god they dont cancel it bring him down and lynch the **** - it will be him needing an organ donation if he shows up.

I find it amazing that you seek to defend him BE - what he done was indefensible
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Seek to defend him? Read it again Boc, the only imitation at defence was saying he lost his cool! If you want to read that then so be it. Do you seriously think that the real Joe is the TV Pundit Joe? Do you think that he should be Courtroom Joe on TV? Or family man Joe? People are making sweeping generalisations on him for how he is on TV, for David Brady (who was the main focus of my post if you read it properly) to say that Sean Cavanagh is twice the man Joe Brolly will ever be is what really got to me! I will say it again, he was completely wrong to personally attack Sean, perhaps i shouldn't say that again as that may be seen as defending him! No one has the right to personally attack anyone on TV the way Brolly did, or Brady for that matter. If that's defence then i'd be a ***** lawyer!

Have a read at what your fellow countyman said on this also -

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:50 am

BE, I appreciate what you say about the different Joe Brollys, but that is no excuse for his attacks on sean Cavanagh and Tyrone. You don't get to choose who you are one day, and be someone else the next, believing that the good things you do will balance out the bad.

Yes, there is obviously an extremely good side to Brolly's nature, as evidenced by his organ donation and subsequent charitable work to promote this cause. However, doing a very good deed one day doesn't give you carte blanche to behave in a nasty way to someone the next, and nor does the good act make you a great fella either. What he did and said is unnacceptable, and I totally agree with Boc when he says that Joe should be hauled over the coals by RTE.

As for David Brady and Dara O'Se, I see nothing wrong in them expressing opinions in support of Cavanagh. Joe Brolly had just completely assassinated Sean's character on tv, and Brady was merely trying to give some support to the victim of the verbal attack. I'm very glad he said it, and it is important for the public to get some balance, particularly after Brolly was given several minutes to rant by the national broadcaster.

Joe is a hypocrite. He seems to forget the Derry side that he played on. Johnny McGurk was as dirty a footballer as played the game, yet Joe sang 'The Town I loved so well' with him live on RTE at the Ai Champions banquet in 1993. He was fit to do that, yet says that he wouldn't go for a pint with any of the Tyrone lads. As Kieran McGeeney said, Joe Brolly was a coward on the field. He played on a ferociously hard Derry team, but let the likes of the Downeys, Barton, McGilligan and many others do hard work for him. He is in no position to cast aspersions on Sean Cavanagh's character, and while his views on cynicism may be fair, he has no right to single out on player, manager or county as the cause for such problems in the game.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 am

I agree - David Brady as bad. I never liked him. Playing to the gallery with his comments. He was still at it yesterday on TV3 - "I'm not going to attack Eamonn McGee the man".

Brolly went over the top. Lacked cop-on during his rant. No doubt has contradicted himself countless times and his actions aren't in keeping his views. Probably should leave RTE now of his volition. He might be shown the door if he doesn't.

Bocerty with his - "i hope to god they dont cancel it bring him down and lynch the **** - it will be him needing an organ donation if he shows up" - comment reminds me of Brolly.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 am

Again i appear to be getting hammered for defending Joe Brolly and his coments when i clearly haven't!

How is Brolly celebrating an All Ireland victory with McGurk any different that Cavanagh celebrating Tyrones All Ireland victories with Ryan McMenamin? He was as bad a player on the pitch as McGurk! I know McGurk the player very well having marked him several times and he was some animal on the pitch, i also know McGurk the person off the pitch and he is a lovely fella, same as his brothers, big Geoff also. I hear McMenamin is a lovely fella off the pitch also but his sins on the pitch are clear for all to see! I've know Sean Cavanagh since he was very young and he always has been a lovely mannered lad and AGAIN i will say that Joe Brolly was wrong to personally attack him on TV. Does this make David Bradys comments right though? In my eyes he is as bad as Joe Brolly for coming out with the "you're twice the man Joe Brolly will ever be" comment, who is he to say that about anyone?

Joe won't get hauled over the coals by RTE i feel, simply for the reasons of this thread! We are all talking about the Sat/Sun Game aren't we? The audience for lasts nights show would have been massive for RTE with people tuning in to see what else is said, he'll be warned and told to tune it down if nothing else!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 pm

bald eagle wrote:Again i appear to be getting hammered for defending Joe Brolly and his coments when i clearly haven't!

How is Brolly celebrating an All Ireland victory with McGurk any different that Cavanagh celebrating Tyrones All Ireland victories with Ryan McMenamin? He was as bad a player on the pitch as McGurk! I know McGurk the player very well having marked him several times and he was some animal on the pitch, i also know McGurk the person off the pitch and he is a lovely fella, same as his brothers, big Geoff also. I hear McMenamin is a lovely fella off the pitch also but his sins on the pitch are clear for all to see! I've know Sean Cavanagh since he was very young and he always has been a lovely mannered lad and AGAIN i will say that Joe Brolly was wrong to personally attack him on TV. Does this make David Bradys comments right though? In my eyes he is as bad as Joe Brolly for coming out with the "you're twice the man Joe Brolly will ever be" comment, who is he to say that about anyone?

Joe won't get hauled over the coals by RTE i feel, simply for the reasons of this thread! We are all talking about the Sat/Sun Game aren't we? The audience for lasts nights show would have been massive for RTE with people tuning in to see what else is said, he'll be warned and told to tune it down if nothing else!

BE, you've misunderstood me. I didn't say that there was anything wrong with Brolly singing with McGurk. I said it was hypocritical of him to say that he wouldn't go for a pint with any Tyrone players, yet he was happy to do the same after a match with McGurk. I'm accusing him of being a hypocrite
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Haven't had benefit of seeing TV on this but did Sheehan not get pushed in the back on Saturday when one on one with keeper

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 pm

If you do nothing else this year listen to Joe Brolly's interview with Matt Cooper on the Last Word today - the organ donation bit especially.

Great perspective on things.

More of a man than any of you internet warriors could EVER hope to become.

Regarding the other trivial matter, the truth hurts.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:11 pm

I think I am the only one to have realised something here.

All these pundits coming out and saying "I'd have the done the same thing". The arrogance of these people.

Sean Cavanagh has one thing a lot of pundits don't - instinct. Let's take a look at the questions Sean Cavanagh asked himself in the moments leading up to the McManus incident.

1. What's the risk if I rugby tackle him?
2. Is this the best way to use up my yellow card?
3. How long's left?
4. Will he score if he gets clean through?
5. What's the score now?

All computed in a split second.

You can't coach instinct. On top of this he was able to read the game such that he anticipated the ball going into McManus - hence dropped back from his midfield position - and also foresaw McManus sidestepping Dermy Carlin and was able to position himself so that he could make the "tackle".

Has it all, brains, instinct, able to read the play.

No other player, pundit or not, has ever demonstrated such an eye for reading the ball and the play.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I think I am the only one to have realised something here.

All these pundits coming out and saying "I'd have the done the same thing". The arrogance of these people.

Sean Cavanagh has one thing a lot of pundits don't - instinct. Let's take a look at the questions Sean Cavanagh asked himself in the moments leading up to the McManus incident.

1. What's the risk if I rugby tackle him?
2. Is this the best way to use up my yellow card?
3. How long's left?
4. Will he score if he gets clean through?

All computed in a split second.

You can't coach instinct. On top of this he was able to read the game such that he anticipated the ball going into McManus - hence dropped back from his midfield position - and also foresaw McManus sidestepping Dermy Carlin and was able to position himself so that he could make the "tackle".

Has it all, brains, instinct, able to read the play.

No other player, pundit or not, has ever demonstrated such an eye for reading the ball and the play.

And all after having played an intense 50 minutes of football, so I'm pretty sure all the oxygen wasn't going to his brain, making such computations even more impressive!

In all seriousness, you have a point.  Brolly spoke as though Cavanagh had gone out deliberately to commit the crime of the century, when the reality was that his actions were instinctive and in the heat of the moment.  We've all played the game and we all know that, when exhausted and under pressure, we don't 'make decisions' as much as we 'react' to situations. Cavanagh reacted to the situation that he was presented with, and his reaction was to prevent a goal.  

That is the reason why all the pundits (bar Joe Brolly) are certain that they would have done the same thing.  It's because they've all been there many times before, and they have all reacted in the same way.  The overwhelming motivation for any top athlete in the heat of battle is always a desperate desire to win - it is the nature of the beast.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:30 pm

True

In reality it's a bit like a soccer player sticking out a hand to clear a piledriver off the line.
The rules allow for a red card in soccer but not in GAA which to move back to GAA brings into the debate the shiels off the ground. Instinct
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next