GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club Championships when starting & what format in your county

3 posters

Go down

Club Championships when starting & what format in your county Empty Club Championships when starting & what format in your county

Post  JimWexford Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Starting in Wexford the weekend 25/26th April we then we will have our annual break till last weekend in July play another round and if the county teams are eliminated continue on.
If not 3rd round after their elimination and then we all get to play week in week out till were knocked out.
System we run
16 teams in Senior(A&B champ), Inter(A&B champ), Junior(A&B champ), 12 in Junior C (Junior D is run different, run in each of the 4 districts, district winners into semis etc)
16 team format
4 groups of 4 seeding goes on where you finished in the champ last year.
Top 2 in each group to 1/4 and so on till final
Bottom 2 into B champs
1/4 stage winners progress in 1/2 of B, losers into relegation.

Sounds a lot but you only play 6 champ games if you get to a final, 3 group, 1/4, 1/2 & F.

Our leagues are worse you get 5 league games and if you are in the top 2 you get a semi final and a final (2 groups in league all the way down). Most clubs league matches are finished by end of May. So we get to spend the best of the year not playing offical games

So a successful year in Wexford means playing( 6 champ plus 7 league ) a grand total of 13 games organised by the county board granted if you where a dual player you could have 26 but not too many dual clubs getting to 1/4 final stages exception would be St Anne’s (Red Barry & Doc O Connor's club). Few do it a senior level and then at junior level most notable senior football clubs with junior/intermediate hurling teams
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Club Championships when starting & what format in your county Empty Re: Club Championships when starting & what format in your county

Post  Guest Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 pm

We have 5 leagues, Division 1 & 2 are in the Senior Championship, 3 & 4 are Intermediate and 5 is Junior (This also includes reserve teams)

It used to in the past for the Senior divisions be a round robin set-up where there were 4 groups of 4 teams and the top 2 in each went into the q-finals.

This year however we have 8 first round games, and the losers go into a back door set-up, not entirely sure of the format but its got to be better then the round- robin set-up that was the worst thing to happen to Derry football in my opinion it had a major impact on the county team, also the matches were poorly attended, had no championship feel and were basically poor. It was as though it was a league match as the match outcome didn't necessarily dictate the teams championship future, looking forward to the Derry championship now alot more than I have done in recent years.

Back to top Go down

Club Championships when starting & what format in your county Empty Re: Club Championships when starting & what format in your county

Post  Guest Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Oh as for hurling, we only have 7 Senior teams the league dictates one semi-final place and I think luxck of the draw dictates the preliminary rounds

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Simple enough system in Monaghan. 3 divisions; Senior, Intermediate and Junior with 10 teams in each. Each league division has it's own championship, no overlap like in other counties, like Division 2 teams in the Senior championship.

First round of Senior championship starts in mid-May, not sure on the other two but think they're maybe a week earlier. 4 1st round games and a prelim round. There's a back door system so any team that loses has another chance. The second round would be in mid-July, right bit of a break. Basically 3 games would get you to the championship final if you win them all(or 4 if you were in the prelim round), lose the first and an extra back door game.

Fairly simple layout but that's what you get with a small number of clubs! Reserve championships start a bit earlier. 4 reserve divisions, 1 and 2 in "B" championship, 3 and 4 in "C" championship.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:39 am

In Galway for the hurling senior championship. 4 groups of 5 teams in each group. Top 4 teams in each group go to the knockout phase. Bottom team in each group go into a relegation place-off and you could write half a page on the rules and format regarding that.

The format means that if you win 2 games or even 1 you are through to the knockout stages. Last year it led to uncompetitive games in the group stages.

Last edited by clash-of-da-ash on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Interesting to see the different structures. Meath have six different grades in football (I currently ply my trade at the second lowest of those or at least I did until last year): Senior, Intermediate, Junior, Junior B, Junior C and Junior D. Junior C and Junior D are the best crack in my opinion. In the hurling there are four grades down to Junior B.

I don't understand a lot of the other formats, even the one in Kerry has me confused. But I think the one in Meath and in Cavan as well is best. In the football, there are about 15/16 teams in each grade split into 3 groups of 5/6, more groups from Junior down. In the senior, the top two from the groups of five and the top three from the group of six reach the quarter finals with a play off between the third placed teams playing off for the final spot in the quarter finals. These then, play it out for the Keegan Cup. Only twelve senior hurling teams or so who play for the Jubilee Cup.

And when does it start? It has already with the big talking point been the defeat of Navan O'Mahonys by 2007 champions Senchelstown and subsequent events after the match. Donaghmore/Assbourne lost as well to Duleek/Bellowstown - a massive surprise in my opinion regardless of league form. Still O'Mahonys a massive danger as are Summerhill and Wolfe Tones whilst the shrewdies will say Skyrne and Dunshaughlin. St.Ultans, Rathkenny and possibly Walterstown could be fighting to stay up. Dunboyne beaten last week but they were missing players so couldn't rule them out.

Hurling gets going in two or three weeks. Kilmessan as ever, the team to beat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:34 pm

What are the Leagues like in other counties or just out of curiosty, does anyone have a competition that would be the equivalent of the Feis Cup in Meath?

What counties' championships are knockout? Think the whole knockout idea in the clubs just dosen't work.

I know Cavan and Westmeath are much the same as Meath - the best format imo.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:What are the Leagues like in other counties or just out of curiosty, does anyone have a competition that would be the equivalent of the Feis Cup in Meath?

What counties' championships are knockout? Think the whole knockout idea in the clubs just dosen't work.

I know Cavan and Westmeath are much the same as Meath - the best format imo.

loyal most counties operate a group format.
Glad to see your full of praise for all your fellow midland chums.

kerry Cork are straightforward as well except they have divisional teams something I am very much in favour of we used to operate these in Wexford but the were disbanded in the early 80's.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down