GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Game Punditry

+6
bocerty
hurlingguru
Grenvile
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
OMAR
10 posters

Go down

Sunday Game Punditry Empty Sunday Game Punditry

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 am

Interesting mix on this evenings show

I appreciate that Ciaran whelan has been in front of camera before and that from a results perspectve it was a fairly easy game to be enthusiastic about - but I found his analysis to be of a reasonable quality and well delivered so certainly one of the better options for the future.

Can'y help warming to McConville and what can only be descrbed as a "dry ulster" delivery - MJ Tierney also honest and Frank - Dessie Dolan seemed to be trying to answer questions that hadn't been asked so unless he is planning a run for the Arás - not exactly sure what his gameplan was.

Spillane for all his all stars and all irelands does to me seem to be living in the past - "give it in long"
which is great in theory if you full Forward isn't treble marked and the hald forward palying the long ball has six men hanging off him.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Sunday Game Punditry Empty Re: Sunday Game Punditry

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm

OMAR wrote:Interesting mix on this evenings show

I appreciate that Ciaran whelan has been in front of camera before and that from a results perspectve it was a fairly easy game to be enthusiastic about - but I found his analysis to be of a reasonable quality and well delivered so certainly one of the better options for the future.

Can'y help warming to McConville and what can only be descrbed as a "dry ulster" delivery - MJ Tierney also honest and Frank - Dessie Dolan seemed to be trying to answer questions that hadn't been asked so unless he is planning a run for the Arás - not exactly sure what his gameplan was.Spillane for all his all stars and all irelands does to me seem to be living in the past - "give it in long"
which is great in theory if you full Forward isn't treble marked and the hald forward palying the long ball has six men hanging off him.

Oddly I was impressed by Dolan's observations. Whelan, sprawling in an armchair, looks to be even bigger than in his playing days...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:57 am

Whelan, sprawling in an armchair, looks to be even bigger than in his playing days...[/quote]
An observation not missed by Darragh when playing the Kilmacud 7s the weekend. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun May 27, 2012 10:48 pm

A new low in broadcasting
The ego has landed. Licence fee being spent on cps Debs tie and stubble
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon May 28, 2012 2:01 am

OMAR wrote:Interesting mix on this evenings show

Can'y help warming to McConville and what can only be descrbed as a "dry ulster" delivery - MJ Tierney also honest and Frank - Dessie Dolan seemed to be trying to answer questions that hadn't been asked so unless he is planning a run for the Arás - not exactly sure what his gameplan was.

Spillane for all his all stars and all irelands does to me seem to be living in the past - "give it in long"

I find a lot of Spillane's observations to be results based. If the long ball into the full forward works out it was a quality delivery, flowing beautiful play etc. If the full back breaks the ball and it's cleared out the delivery was poor and it was wasteful aimless play.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Watching this now. Three decent lads on panel who might have an objective view. But in effect its rtes punditry and des offers them a staged question on his area of analysis and prompts an answer. Glorified post match interview stuff/up for the match Wtf not ask the experts an open question? Are we afraid they might haveban opinion
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Who got Man of the Match?

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Listening to Brolly yesterday one can only draw the conclusion (if we didnt already know it) that he is a gimp of the highest order and loves the sound of his own voice.

Trying to tell O'Rourke that Donegal had revolutionised Gaelic football and that he needed to watch more videos if he couldn't see it. FFS Joe what we have seen all year from Donegal is hardly revolutionary given that teams played this type of system for a while now.

Ok they might have tweaked it a bit but it's not a new system.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Pat Spillane attempted a big long Italian translation last night and repeatedly made a hames of it. The jist of Pat's thinking was (I think), that Mayo needed someone to deliver the killer ball.
My mind drifted to Ciaran McDonald. Given they were pushing on for a sustained period after half-time, wouldn't McDonald have given them 35 minutes of penetration from the '40.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Pat Spillane attempted a big long Italian translation last night and repeatedly made a hames of it. The jist of Pat's thinking was (I think), that Mayo needed someone to deliver the killer ball.
My mind drifted to Ciaran McDonald. Given they were pushing on for a sustained period after half-time, wouldn't McDonald have given them 35 minutes of penetration from the '40.

he made a complete twat of himself alright, hard to know if McDonald would have made a difference, Lacey would have nullified his possible impact. You cant help but wonder what effect Andy Moran would have had, though given the games the 2 McGees had they would likely have rendered him ineffectual too
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Not strictly on the exact topic but the commentary on the hurling replay was woeful. Ger Canning hasn't a fooking clue who/what/why some of the things are going on. On Sunday he assured us, twice in fact, that Niall Burke was being replaced when it was clear that the Galway wing back Niall Donoghue was being called ashore.

Quick as a flash Duignan chimes in extending good wishes to Tom/Mick/Paddy in TUCKSON Arizona....Another jennet.

Where do they get these gimps from. Hasn't Ger the decency to take some kind of severance package or just give it up altogether.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Where do they get these gimps from. Hasn't Ger the decency to take some kind of severance package or just give it up altogether.

I thought the same after the football final. He was never good, but he is now an embarrassment. Has this man no well-intentioned friends that can have a word in his ear?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

He's beyond a joke. I'd take side **** over him any day. Darragh Moloney should be getting all of the big football games.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 am

I never took to Ger Canning. Too many cliches. Anyway if you wanta good radio commentator + sidekick, Gary and Weeshie from Radio Kerry are the men. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:I never took to Ger Canning. Too many cliches. Anyway if you wanta good radio commentator + sidekick, Gary and Weeshie from Radio Kerry are the men. Very Happy

I've heard lots of good reports of Weeshie in action...Sunday Game Punditry Smiley22

My personal favourite radio moment came many years ago when Longford Town were in a cup semi-final at home in Seagull Park.
The normally intrepid Willie Hegarty was on the mike for Shannonside FM. Willie would be at all times a fíor-gael, but they shoved him into the slot to inject a bit of local colour and passion. Some soccerball "expert" Donald Keogh, if I'm not mistaken from Longford was covering the gaffes Willie was making with regard to "no one up in the f/f line there Donald" and such carry on.

Anyway Longford got a penalty in the 89th. min to seal it and the lad duly slots it.....Willie goes for the Brazilian Goooooooooooooal....

And finishes off with "The crowd are gone stone mad here in the Hyde"......Classic radio.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Hugely noble act from brolly. One of those things that makes you stop and think
Would you
1. For a close relative
2. For a life long close friend
3. For someone you be- friended at your kids saturday morning training.

Clearly underneath the wind up and the contrarion lies one hell of a decent skin.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:53 am

OMAR wrote:Hugely noble act from brolly. One of those things that makes you stop and think
Would you
1. For a close relative

Clearly underneath the wind up and the contrarion lies one hell of a decent skin.

Yes I take my hat off to Joe. Well done. Yes Omar obviously there is a great man behind what we see, Very Happy

Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:56 pm

OMAR wrote:Hugely noble act from brolly. One of those things that makes you stop and think
Would you
1. For a close relative

a massive gesture from Joe and one i dont think i could do. As a friend of mine put it "he wouldnt pass a ball but he would pass a kidney"

hats of to Joe he is a bigger man than i gave him credit for.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Remarkable gesture by Brolly no doubt about it.

However in my opinion it makes his headline grabbing sensationalism in his utterances and writings all the more ridiculous.

How can he be so completely decent on one level and not so at a much cheaper level. Baffling really.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:41 am

The transplant failed and the Kidney had to be removed. Very sad news and a big blow to both parties.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I thought yesterday that the difference in RTE's coverage and BBC's was more pronounced than ever.

While the Punch and Judy show of Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke trotted out the same old cliches, surface level observations and woefully inaccurate 'analysis', Jimmy McGuinness and Kieran McGeeney were intelligently and perceptively explaining what was actually happening, just as the equally impressive Enda McGinley and James McCartan had done in the quarter finals.

I should save special praise for Jimmy McGuinness who, even among the names I've mentioned, was in a league of his own. Intelligent, astute, interesting and highly articulate - i could have listened to him all day, and it's very easy to see how he has been so successful.

RTE were also shockingly bad on the commentary stakes. Marty Morrissey sounds like a toddler amongst his presents on Christmas morning, a rare blend of over excitement and total bewilderment, tugging at the wrapping paper whilst ignoring the toy. I've always had time for Martin Carney, but yesterday he just couldn't control his bias towards his adopted county, over-emphasising every Tyrone indiscretion, while downplaying those committed by men in red and green. Poor stuff Martin, and i'd have expected more from you.

I was also struck by a caption that appeared after 42 minutes. It read, 'Sean Cavanagh: Frees Conceded - 4'. I've never noticed this before, and couldn't help but feel that it was yet another example of RTE trying to demonise Tyrone.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I thought yesterday that the difference in RTE's coverage and BBC's was more pronounced than ever.

While the Punch and Judy show of Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke trotted out the same old cliches, surface level observations and woefully inaccurate 'analysis', Jimmy McGuinness and Kieran McGeeney were intelligently and perceptively explaining what was actually happening, just as the equally impressive Enda McGinley and James McCartan had done in the quarter finals.

I should save special praise for Jimmy McGuinness who, even among the names I've mentioned, was in a league of his own. Intelligent, astute, interesting and highly articulate - i could have listened to him all day, and it's very easy to see how he has been so successful.

RTE were also shockingly bad on the commentary stakes.  Marty Morrissey sounds like a toddler amongst his presents on Christmas morning, a rare blend of over excitement and total bewilderment, tugging at the wrapping paper whilst ignoring the toy.  I've always had time for Martin Carney, but yesterday he just couldn't control his bias towards his adopted county, over-emphasising every Tyrone indiscretion, while downplaying those committed by men in red and green.  Poor stuff Martin, and i'd have expected more from you.

I was also struck by a caption that appeared after 42 minutes.  It read, 'Sean Cavanagh: Frees Conceded - 4'.  I've never noticed this before, and couldn't help but feel that it was yet another example of RTE trying to demonise Tyrone.  
Couldn't agree more. Watched the game on RTE (due to the HD) but the analysis on BBC. Thought Kieran, Jim and even wee Martin (surprise!) were excellent and I've seen loads of people express the same opinion on twitter and elsewhere.
Carney was terrible and was sickening to listen to.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Carney concluded that the penalty was marginal/on the line - with the benefit of slow motion reverse angle replay which showed the Foul/challenge two foot before the line.

Having different levels of excubarence to some extent I can forgive
but to mis-analyse something that is black or white is a step too far.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:25 pm

BBC Punditry good, BBC Commentry bad!

bald eagle
GAA Hero