GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Game Team of the Year

+9
Thomas Clarke
black&white
patrique
mossbags
Boxtyeater
Shinners
Loyal2TheRoyal
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sunday Game Team of the Year Empty Sunday Game Team of the Year

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Alan Quirke (Cork) - disagree
Peter Kelly (Kildare) - disagree
Michael Shields (Cork) - disagree
Philly McMahon (Dublin) - surprised
Paudie Kissane (Cork) - disagree
Kevin McKernan (Down) - agree
Emmet Bolton (Kildare) - yes probably
Paddy Keenan (Louth) - agree
MD McAuley (Dublin) - surprised but agree
Danny Hughes (Down) - agree
Marty Clarke (Down) - held today but agree
Paddy Kelly (Cork) - disagree would have had James Kavanagh there
Daniel Goulding (Cork) - on today agree
Bernard Brogan (Dublin) - absolutely .. but at FF ....
Colm Cooper (Kerry) - hmmm had a great season personally alright

No Johnny Doyle, no Coulter, Donie Shine ..........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Sunday Game Team of the Year Empty Re: Sunday Game Team of the Year

Post  bocerty Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 pm

absolute disgrace that Doyle has been overlooked
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Five Leinster representatives and not one from the Leinster Champions. Suppose that will be the main talking point.

Brogan was fairly quiet on lack of Meath players, opting to nominate Calamity O'Carroll ahead of the man who made a mockery of all this year Footballer of the Year talk, Kevin Reilly. Well done Bernard.

The panellists redeemed themselves a small bit with their left corner forward selection but other than that, only Keenan and Clarke would make my team.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Brian Farrell was superb on Celebrity Bainisteoir this evening. Must be the next great Meath hope? No sorry - that was 5 years ago. A good Intermediate player though ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Alan Quirke (Cork) - thought it was between him and McVeigh and felt that McVeighs kick-outs let him down today.
Peter Kelly (Kildare) - wouldn't disagree with it
Michael Shields (Cork) - disagree - thought O'Carroll deserved this one
Philly McMahon (Dublin) - hmm not sure - if Sligo had won Connaught then Ross Donovan could've gotten it
Paudie Kissane (Cork) - disagree
Kevin McKernan (Down) - agree
Emmet Bolton (Kildare) - maybe
Paddy Keenan (Louth) - did well - if they were going to give one to a Louth midfielder then White should've gotten it
MD McAuley (Dublin) - hard to disagree but can't see him getting an All Star
Danny Hughes (Down) - agree
Marty Clarke (Down) - held today but agree
Paddy Kelly (Cork) - disagree
Daniel Goulding (Cork) - disagree
Bernard Brogan (Dublin) - absolutely
Colm Cooper (Kerry) - yes he did well in the games he played but ahead of the Championships top scorer?

Unlucky to miss out: Rory O'Carroll - Dublin, David Kelly - Sligo, Donie Shine - Roscommon, Padraic Joyce - Galway (if you use the same rationale that got Gooch selected) James Kavanagh - Kildare, Mark Poland - Down, Seamus Kenny - Meath, John Galvin - Limerick, Daryl Flynn - Kildare Stephen Bray - Meath and maybe even Ger Brennan - Dublin.

Too many Cork players in that team - yes they are All Ireland Champions but they were mediocre all year
How could they look John Doyle in the face in the studio and tell him that they thought the Gooch was better????
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:36 pm

The ommission of Sligo's Charlie Harrisson at 2, Ross Donovan at 4 and Johnny Davey at 7 are staggering in the light of those nominated/selected.....
I've never heard of the Kildare corner back at 2, McMahon at 4 wouldn't defend his mother and the choice of Bolton defies credibility....

At the risk of arousing Mullins, no place for John Galvin at midfield?????.......I'm seething here..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The ommission of Sligo's Charlie Harrisson at 2, Ross Donovan at 4 and Johnny Davey at 7 are staggering in the light of those nominated/selected.....
I've never heard of the Kildare corner back at 2, McMahon at 4 wouldn't defend his mother and the choice of Bolton defies credibility....

At the risk of arousing Mullins, no place for John Galvin at midfield?????.......I'm seething here..

Sligo lost the Connaught Final and shipped a barrowful v Down - hardly did their defence any favours. Philly had a good season and waded in with key scores from the FB line - surprised but as good a shout as any. Similarly MDMcA - would you not drop Keenan for Galvin seeing that Dublin minced the Louth midfield.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Joe Canning is a shocking omission from this list
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:[
Sligo lost the Connaught Final and shipped a barrowful v Down - hardly did their defence any favours. Philly had a good season and waded in with key scores from the FB line - surprised but as good a shout as any. Similarly MDMcA - would you not drop Keenan for Galvin seeing that Dublin minced the Louth midfield.

Dear Jesus, what can you do in the full back line when ths flood gates are open?? I'd be intrigued to see whether McMahon or McAuley would be on a Dublin team that ever won anything beyond a Leinster title given the poverty of Leinster football.......Flash in the pan boys...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Dear Jesus, what can you do in the full back line when ths flood gates are open?? I'd be intrigued to see whether McMahon or McAuley would be on a Dublin team that ever won anything beyond a Leinster title given the poverty of Leinster football.......Flash in the pan boys...

Yeah jaysus it'd be shocking to see a Dub win anything alright. Leinster football jibe from a man in the biggest joke of a football province of all. Your champs routed in the QFs. 3 Leinster teams in QF. Connaught football - only ever rescued by decent Galway teams - is at an all time low ebb. Keep your head down there old man lest you embarrass yourself ... further.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Easy now lads. Lets all just have a great big hug cheers
Shinners
Shinners

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:[Yeah jaysus it'd be shocking to see a Dub win anything alright. Leinster football jibe from a man in the biggest joke of a football province of all. Your champs routed in the QFs. 3 Leinster teams in QF. Connaught football - only ever rescued by decent Galway teams - is at an all time low ebb. Keep your head down there old man lest you embarrass yourself ... further.

Well it's my opinion that either Harrison or Donovan were infinitely better than either of the two selected in the corner back berths....Backs are selected to defend not ramble off acting the bollockx scoring points and being heroes for their 1.4m. followers.......Brogan worthy of a place all right in fairness....

Stick your ageism comments up your gansey with your pseudo all stars..........
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 am

Easy now lads. Lets all just have a great big hug cheers
Shinners
Shinners

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:01 am

Shinners wrote:Easy now lads. Lets all just have a great big hug cheers

Boxty is right though strangely enough. Sligo would be way superior to any Leinster County, only reason Dublin get lads on these teams is to sell newspapers.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:03 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Well it's my opinion that either Harrison or Donovan were infinitely better than either of the two selected in the corner back berths....Backs are selected to defend not ramble off acting the bollockx scoring points and being heroes for their 1.4m. followers.......Brogan worthy of a place all right in fairness....

There is no way a Connaught player should get near a team of the year nor an All Star. It'd be like picking an eircom league player for Brazil.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:12 am

This so called selection comes from, in the main, the semi-finalists...codswallop. Cooper is a deserving contender. The rest, in the main, are geezers who have gotten an extra game live on TV...The process, like the intelligentsia on this forum, is flawed and visibly so......Posters with a multiplicity of posts vis a vis others are always right (Whether they are or not).......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:19 am

Boxtyeater wrote:This so called selection comes from, in the main, the semi-finalists...codswallop. Cooper is a deserving contender. The rest, in the main, are geezers who have gotten an extra game live on TV...The process, like the intelligentsia on this forum, is flawed and visibly so......Posters with a multiplicity of posts vis a vis others are always right (Whether they are or not).......

Thats a load of crap there from a man with many posts. I have no problem with Gooch - one of the finest ever players. Naturally the further you go on the better chance you have to e selected on these teams - Doh!

But take a look at Connaught this year. The Rossies won and got hammered the minute they met a non-Connaught team -as did Sligo. They are third division teams at best. Donie Shine is the only man who would get as much as an honourable mention - but nowhere near a selection.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 am

You are becoming irksome at this stage with your petty sniping.....
To get back on thread: I'm advocating Cluxton in goals despite the 5 goal shipment against Meath, he had a fine season with some great stops/deliveries....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:27 am

Me too - and you'd want to look at the difference between sniping and fact.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 am

Boxty tearing Jayo a new one here
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:52 am

mossbags wrote:Boxty tearing Jayo a new one here

He's run for sanctuary to the Mullins gaff.....tomorrow is a new day.....Batterable though I'd say.....Jesus I'm not half right yet...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:50 am

Goulding? Of Cork or is there another one.

The Cork one MISSED a load of frees against the Dubs, and today was anonymous apart from frees.

Paddy Cunningham, who I wouldn't have on the Antrim team, would be a better choice, as at least he scores nearly all his frees.

Gooch was a cert, Brogan was a cert, and maybe Galvin who actually managed to beat Cork, mainly due to his efforts.

I would throw in Coulter over the year as well.

And I agree with Macauley from Dublin, the find of the season for me.

Best display I saw all year was yer man against Kildare, caught everything, scored 3 sublime points, but was only a sub against Tyrone.

And surely Joe Sheridan should have been on, what more has a guy got to do.............
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:52 am

My Team of the Year:

Brendan Murphy
Charlie Harrison - Kevin Reilly - Ross Donovan
Noel O'Leary - Mike McCarthy - Philip Jordan
Paddy Keenan - Aidan Walsh
Bryan Cullen - Marty Clarke - James Kavanagh
Colm Cooper - Benny Coulter - Johnny Doyle
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 am

Player of the Year - Colm Cooper or Aidan Walsh
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 am

One of either Charlie or Ross were unlucky not to get a mention. The Rossie and Down games probably blotted the copy-books enough to keep them out of the team, but then the same logic could have been applied to McMahon in respect of the Meath game (and corner backs are a lot more responsible for goals than points).

Quirke getting in ahead of McVeigh is a joke to be honest. McVeigh pulled off some exceptional saves throughout the year (yesterday included), and it seemed like the Quirke choice was more to ensure that Cork had enough players in the 15.

Doyle was also extremely unlucky to miss out, but being honest I'd pick Gooch and Brogan ahead of him too. Whilst he racked up an impressive scoring haul, he played more games than anyone (except Brogan... I think!). He didn't stand out in any games in the way that Brogan or Gooch did this year. Unlucky to have Goulding picked ahead of him alright, but similar to Quirke, winners tend to get picked that bit easier.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next