GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 years ago today

+4
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
Real Kerry Fan
The Puke
8 posters

Go down

10 years ago today Empty 10 years ago today

Post  The Puke Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 am

The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

10 years ago today Empty Re: 10 years ago today

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 am

He would not have scored against Stephen Cluxton! affraid
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:54 am

Was in the airport in Rome coming back from honeymoon. Rang the bro who said we were getting flaked and down to ten men. Major surprise on landing on terra firma. Amazing result and a great way of remembering dates! Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:29 am

10 years ago today Meath hockeyed Kerry in the football semi final. It shocked the GAA to it's very core and to this day, no one has ever quite figured out what strange alignments were in the skies at the time that allowed this to happen. Natural order was restored however just two weeks later when to everyone's delight, Galway gave the Meathmen an almighty merciless thumping in the Final afro
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 am

mossbags wrote:10 years ago today Meath hockeyed Kerry in the football semi final. It shocked the GAA to it's very core and to this day, no one has ever quite figured out what strange alignments were in the skies at the time that allowed this to happen. Natural order was restored however just two weeks later when to everyone's delight, Galway gave the Meathmen an almighty merciless thumping in the Final afro

Yeas moss, I was never so glad to see Galway win the final. It was bad enough being hammered in the semi but the carry on by the Meath crowd plus the showboating of their players made it hard to take. In fairness Colm O'Rourke spoke out against it and Ollie Murphy apologised for the players behaviour. Me thinks that that was the day that the gods decided that Meath will not win a title again. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 am

Anyone going to the Aviva tonight?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:36 pm

JS. Strong possibilty I may go. Friend at work is supposed to get the tickets today. Very Happy Irlanda Abu.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Had to give away two tickets this week.

Sligo County Board Rolling Eyes scheduled match for 6.45 this evening so instead get to take half-day from work to go down and play.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:26 pm

[quote="Real Kerry Fan"]
RKF wrote: the carry on by the Meath crowd plus the showboating of their players made it hard to take. Me thinks that that was the day that the gods decided that Meath will not win a title again. Very Happy

Their behaviour in the semi certainly came back to bite them in the ass in the Final RKF and rightly so, no need for it.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:21 pm

black&white wrote:Had to give away two tickets this week.

Sligo County Board Rolling Eyes scheduled match for 6.45 this evening so instead get to take half-day from work to go down and play.

Lucky you .....

Was at the Meath semi - heaviest defeat by Kerry ever in Croker (until the 18th inst! Razz ) and their lowest score I think. Hard to believe Meath didn't win Sam after a display like that.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Why don't you play for your local team in Dublin....Can't stand this attitude the parish...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:16 pm

mullins wrote:

Why don't you play for your local team in Dublin....Can't stand this attitude the parish...

I've played for one club for 20 years, and this is 11th year playing with the senior (now intermediate) team. It's a hell of a lot more meaningful when you win with lads you've been playing with since you were a child.
Loyalty to the club is the essence of the GAA.
Are you not involved with a club yourself?
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:JS. Strong possibilty I may go. Friend at work is supposed to get the tickets today. Very Happy Irlanda Abu.

Had the misfortune of going myself.. Woeful stuff. Anything other than a result (and maybe a win) in Russia and they're effectively out of the running. The atmosphere was very muted and the Slovakian fans completely outdid the Irish fans, they were brilliant. The booing at the end was disappointing.

Long, Ledger and O'Shea out for the Russia game. It's not looking good lads.. Crying or Very sad

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Omar I was there and you just summed up the night. Not in a rush for a ticket for next home game. Still with trapp's luck a draw in Russia might still keep us in it.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 pm

black&white wrote:
mullins wrote:

I've played for one club for 20 years, and this is 11th year playing with the senior (now intermediate) team. It's a hell of a lot more meaningful when you win with lads you've been playing with since you were a child.
well then the hundreds of country lads playing in dublin and coaching are wrong
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:50 pm

i was in durty nellies in amsterdam buckled heading to the banana bar
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 pm

hipster 2 wrote:
black&white wrote:
mullins wrote:

well then the hundreds of country lads playing in dublin and coaching are wrong

It's a personal choice. If you're going to be settling in a part of Dublin then you'll develop the same with a Dublin club. I've lived for 4 years in Galway, and 5 in Dublin. In the 5 years in Dublin I've lived in 3 different club areas, and the odds are that I'll be moving again due to work in a year or two.

Seems like certain posters here seem to want to try and pick fault in anything that I post. Fairly pathetic.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:58 pm

not picking fault as you said its a personal choice , but dont take the high ground saying its great to win with lads you grew uo with its great to win full stop oh and i hope your getting mileage
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:02 pm

hipster 2 wrote:not picking fault as you said its a personal choice , but dont take the high ground saying its great to win with lads you grew uo with its great to win full stop oh and i hope your getting mileage

I wish I was getting milage, but it'd bankrupt the club. 14 lads out of our 31 are based in either Dublin, Galway, Limerick or Letterkenny. Couldn't afford to be paying for all of us, but club would collapse if people stopped coming home for games.

Worked out that it's costing me about 250 a month in petrol at the minute between training and matches (train in Glasnevin, work in Stillorgan - 20 miles around M50). Still wouldn't change it for the world.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 pm

there was an ex sligo player doind sessions in islandbridge for country players living in dublin you should head up there its the civilservice ground
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:13 pm

hipster 2 wrote:there was an ex sligo player doind sessions in islandbridge for country players living in dublin you should head up there its the civilservice ground

Went to it a couple of years back. Was decent enough training alright.

We actually have 8 players from our club in Dublin and one of our selectors is based up here as well, so we're doing our own collective training (with 4/5 lads from other Sligo/Mayo clubs thrown in). Only 2 of us aren't Northside-based so Pheonix Park and Hampsted Park have been the venues.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

ok keep it up but most dublin clubs dont mind lads just training with them
hipster 2
hipster 2