GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players 'struggling to put food on table'

+2
mugsys_barber
bocerty
6 posters

Go down

Players 'struggling to put food on table'  Empty Players 'struggling to put food on table'

Post  bocerty Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:20 pm

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell has described as "dramatic" the increase in applications by hard-pressed players to the benevolent fund, which the association now administers.

Farrell revealed that some players who have found themselves out of work are "genuinely struggling to put food on the table".

The GPA are rolling out benefits to inter-county players which, over a five-year period, will be subsidised by the GAA to the tune of €8.5m.

While the maximum payout to a player experiencing hard times is set at €3,000, in extreme cases it can go higher than that, Farrell pointed out. "What we've seen in the last few months is a dramatic increase in applications to the benevolent fund," he said. "It just depends on a case-by-case basis.

"We have put certain parameters on it; for example the maximum payout is €3,000, but if there is a very difficult case and someone needs more help, it is hard to turn them away.

"Some of them take a bit of time to be processed, but we're streamlining that and trying to make it more efficient. There is a direct correlation to the unemployment rate and the ones who are coming to us.

"Our unemployment figure was 15pc, it's hovering around 14pc at the minute. The six northern counties aren't too bad. Wicklow, Donegal, Louth and Monaghan are a few of the black spots."

Farrell revealed that there are some very hard-up cases among the inter-county playing population at the moment.

"I'm thinking specifically of a player at the moment who's recently had a child and is out of work. The sense of pride takes over as well and you don't want to be seen to be taking hand-outs, so there's that sensitivity around it as well.

"What we're trying to assess at the minute is, are there more of these cases? I'm convinced that there are, they're just not coming forward. This is very much a learning curve for us.

"You have the past-player element now. The word is out there now that the GPA is willing to assist them as well, though they also come in through the business mentoring programme or the scholarship programme, lads who are going back to college or are going now for the first time."

The GPA unveiled a list of scholarships yesterday and have advanced further plans to roll out their mobile cardiac screening service.

thought this was an interesting article and worth sharing if you haven't already seen it - i do have a certain amount of sympathy but then i ask myself what about the other poor buggers around the country who are in the same boat and don't have the GPA to turn too..............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Players 'struggling to put food on table'  Empty Re: Players 'struggling to put food on table'

Post  mugsys_barber Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm

I was sort of thinking that myself when I heard it first Boc. The thing that interests me is the past players benevolent fund - Who exactly qualifies for that or does it only apply to those who have been members of the GPA in the past. Is it a case of anyone who played football before 1999 need not apply?
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Players 'struggling to put food on table'  Empty Re: Players 'struggling to put food on table'

Post  JimWexford Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:30 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:I was sort of thinking that myself when I heard it first Boc. The thing that interests me is the past players benevolent fund - Who exactly qualifies for that or does it only apply to those who have been members of the GPA in the past. Is it a case of anyone who played football before 1999 need not apply?

That fund is open to all players who played GAA irrespective of inter-county or not, BUT it is not just a question of applying for it you can only avail of it through your county secretary/ county board.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 pm

inter county players should not get preferential treatment just because of who they are. Its up to themselves to go out and try and find work, just like the rest of us. I think dessie wants people to employ these lads just because theyre inter county "stars"
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:25 pm

whiterbananas wrote:inter county players should not get preferential treatment just because of who they are. Its up to themselves to go out and try and find work, just like the rest of us. I think dessie wants people to employ these lads just because theyre inter county "stars"

funny WB thats what i took from it as well - it was Dessies way of asking for a job for these guys without causing too much hassle for the GPA.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Jaysus the way things are going the table itself is under pressure ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:16 pm

If these players have an avenue to help them through these tough times, why shouldn't they ask for help-The Gaa have made enough money from the sweat and effort of these players.....Hard to believe posters on here would begrudge them a dig out......
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down