GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The wheel or the football?

+3
bocerty
gaamad1996
Jayo Cluxton
7 posters

Go down

The wheel or the football? Empty The wheel or the football?

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Some say the wheel was the greatest invention of all time but I would strongly disagree. To me it has to be the football. Yes the wheel has its uses and bicyles would look funny with two footballs on them - there'd be some mudguards needed - but where would we be without the ball?

Would the spectacle be as good with Whelo soaring the sacred sod catching a wheel? Or Gooch selling a dummy by changing a wheel from his left foot to his right. How would it look to see Joe Sheridan rolling a wheel over the goal line in Croker? Imagine King Henry pucking a small wheel (something like you'd find in a watch I'd imagine) over the bar from 70 meters. Picture a large wheel planted straight over the sticks by Stephen O'Neill and landing in the Hill. It could hurt people - though that may please a lot of people depending on who the opposition were ... Shocked How would the ref throw in a wheel anyway? I suppose we'd have to have spokespeople for that.

So thank God for the ball! Surely the greater invention?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

The wheel or the football? Empty Re: The wheel or the football?

Post  gaamad1996 Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 pm

gaelic Football is for lads that cant play hurling! tongue
gaamad1996
gaamad1996
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Wexford
Number of posts : 471

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:56 pm

a kick in the wheels or a kick in the b*lls - which would you prefer???
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing myself the other day and also arrived at the conclusion that the "football" was the greatest invention of all time, certainly in terms of soccer. I wouldn't, however, place as much emphasis on Gaelic Football as Jayo.

The beauty of the football is an ability to express one's emotions with a ball. Think of Ronaldinho, the two Ronaldos and Ibrahimovic. World class exponents. The Irish, as well the Americans, Canadians, Australians, took a lot of fun out of the football with their variations of its use, and all inevitably fall short of its number one use - soccer. Joga Bonito.

As an addition to this, I'd also suggest that it is the greatest toy that has been on the market. For me, it was anyway, peaking at around 30 footballs at one stage. I regret not growing up in Brazil/Argentina/Holland/Spain where soccer is the sport of the people and a football is a person's best friend for life. Whereas in Ireland, much of a ball's beauty is lost when it's used to play Gaelic Football.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm

The wheels - would prefer to have them ruptured. Would still prefer a ball but when in the Ulster Champo in the early to mid-90s either would have done as no-one would have noticed anyway .... Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Whereas in Ireland, much of a ball's beauty is lost when it's used to play Gaelic Football.

Fair play L - spoken like a true Meath man! Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Whereas in Ireland, much of a ball's beauty is lost when it's used to play Gaelic Football.

Fair play L - spoken like a true Meath man! Razz

Simplicity is Beauty and Beauty is Simplicity, nothing more, nothing less - Oscar Wilde

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 pm

You're a man of many moods Mr. 2theroyal. Sometimes funny, sometimes horribly annoying, sometimes philosophical, did I mention annoying? Laughing

The simple things are the most beautiful though. I'll definitely agree with you there.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:56 am

RMDrive wrote:

The simple things are the most beautiful though. I'll definitely agree with you there.

Yeah and you're bleeding gorgeous
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 am

To be fair given the current climate the Buck that rubbed a few rocks together and managed to start a fire deserves a mention. Not sure of his name but he had the Gimp of a Connemara man.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down