GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone v Dublin

+18
Royal_Girl2k9
Hanahoe
redhandman
bald eagle
patrique
Real Kerry Fan
samin12
mugsys_barber
Grenvile
The Puke
mullins
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
hipster 2
bocerty
22 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Tyrone v Dublin  Empty Tyrone v Dublin

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:08 pm

with only one place in the All-Ireland football semi-finals up for grabs this weekend sees yet another clash between Dublin and Tyrone. There can be no doubt Tyrone held the upper hand for a number of years, however last year the Dubs came up trumps against the men from the O'Neill county.

After some less than convincing performances Tyrone have started to gather some momentum, largely it seems because of the introduction of some fresh new legs such as Sean O' Neill, Mark Donnelly, Marty Swift Kyle Coney and Peter Harte. Tyrone have amassed some impressive scoring tallies albeit against what could be called limited opposition. However the number of goals scored (5 in two games) and the much improved form of Sean Cavanagh has certainly given Tyrone some renewed optimism ahead of the clash with the Dubs this weekend.

Dublin themselves haven't exactly been convincing and only for a large slice of luck could easily have been beaten by Wexford. That said with a forward like Bernard Brogan on the field and the re-emergence of his brother Alan as a major force Dublin must be the favourites. However Tyrone will not be intimidated going into the lions den though they will have to come up with something better than they offered last year against the same opposition.

All of the pressure will be on the Dubs going into this clash, should be an interesting game of football.........................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Tyrone v Dublin  Empty Re: Tyrone v Dublin

Post  hipster 2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:05 pm

just heard a story a tyrone supporter drowned in the liffey saturday night and his brother jumped in to save him is still in hospital very sad story
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:03 am

Really looking forward to this one. Tyrone on a roll through the backdoor - Dublin fell onto a Leinster and have been dormant since. Not winding here lads but if I was a bookie Tyrone would be favs. Pints Saturday in Dublin?? TC and mullins having a jar would be more entertaining than Kildare v Donegal.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Really looking forward to this one.
Tyrone v Dublin  Smiley13
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Really looking forward to this one.
Tyrone v Dublin  Smiley13

Would ya ever fook off!!! What is a Leitrim man (old) visiting a GAA forum in August for anyway .... May be in Fenagh next Tues/Wed!! Wink Will ring in advance ... if we win! Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:47 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Would ya ever fook off!!! What is a Leitrim man (old) visiting a GAA forum in August for anyway .... May be in Fenagh next Tues/Wed!! Wink Will ring in advance ... if we win! Razz

The days of the North/West's foremost Summer event..The 150th Ballinamore Agricultural Show.....

Would you ever get a calendar FFS.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Would ya ever fook off!!! What is a Leitrim man (old) visiting a GAA forum in August for anyway .... May be in Fenagh next Tues/Wed!! Wink Will ring in advance ... if we win! Razz

The days of the North/West's foremost Summer event..The 150th Ballinamore Agricultural Show.....

What TF do I need a calendar for? I'm sure Dan the Dauber has a few though ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:19 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:

What TF do I need a calendar for? I'm sure Dan the Dauber has a few though ....

I'd say so - but they are not Gregorian
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:08 pm

I think Saturday could be the making or breaking of a few Dublin forwards: McMenamin, Quinn, Connolly and O'Gara, for example.

No doubt Alan and Bernard will come in for extra attention. Wonder how the others will react so if Tyrone manage to stifle their threat? Will they crumble with them or will they step up to the challenge?

Of course, Tyrone have a few untested players up front: Harte, Donnelly, Coney, even Tommy McGuigan.

Either way, I wouldn't be too worried about the outcome of this game if I was a Donegal fan.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Quinn will not feature. Three years ago Alan Brogan limped off with his hamstring after 15 mins or so - hoping the Brogans will see out the 70.

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I think Saturday could be the making or breaking of a few Dublin forwards: McMenamin, Quinn, Connolly and O'Gara, for example.

No doubt Alan and Bernard will come in for extra attention. Wonder how the others will react so if Tyrone manage to stifle their threat? Will they crumble with them or will they step up to the challenge?

Of course, Tyrone have a few untested players up front: Harte, Donnelly, Coney, even Tommy McGuigan.

Either way, I wouldn't be too worried about the outcome of this game if I was a Donegal fan.

Tommy McGuigan untested!!!! Wind your next in Loyal, he might not be playing that well but he certainly isn't untested
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 pm

bocerty wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I think Saturday could be the making or breaking of a few Dublin forwards: McMenamin, Quinn, Connolly and O'Gara, for example.

Tommy McGuigan untested!!!! Wind your next in Loyal, he might not be playing that well but he certainly isn't untested

Well I don't recall him ever doing much in any game of any importance. So I guess you're right. He is tested.

And he has failed miserably.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 pm

If Martin Penrose is fit, Tommy is unlikely to start. I don't see Mugsy starting, and am not convinced that O'Neill will play any part, so there really isn't much competition for that slot.

As have all the McGuigan's, Tommy has a lot of talent - he is big for a forward, has good hands, kicks very well off both feet, and has good vision. He's not the quickest, but is not dead slow either.

Tommy has 2 main problems. Firstly, he is very much a confidence player, and can drop the head if he gets off to a bad start. Also, he has a bad habit of playing in fits and starts, and is the sort who could kick 2 great points in quick succession, and then disappear for long periods. I'd say the latter is a problem of concentration, and that corner forward is therefore not his position (he plays midfield for his club).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 pm

BBC Sport has Martin Swift doubtful with a broken nose (which was pretty obvious, considering it was still bleeding when he went down the tunnel on Saturday night, after being clothes-lined 25 minutes earlier).

Swift has been in great form this summer, and would be a huge loss. Boc, as he is your fellow clubman, any latest updates on this one?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Will Harte go with the same 15 Question
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 pm

mullins wrote:Will Harte go with the same 15 Question

Assuming that everyone is fit, the only players under pressure would be Ricey, Tommy McGuigan and possibly Coney

If Swift is out, then Ricey will definitely start, and Justy McMahon will come in. If Swift is fit, then Justy could still replace Ricey.

Penrose would be the most likely replacement for Tommy/Coney, although Mickey might feel that it is time to let Mugsy off the leash, having made him wait all summer.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
mullins wrote:Will Harte go with the same 15 Question

Assuming that everyone is fit, the only players under pressure would be Ricey, Tommy McGuigan and possibly Coney

If Swift is out, then Ricey will definitely start, and Justy McMahon will come in. If Swift is fit, then Justy could still replace Ricey.

Penrose would be the most likely replacement for Tommy/Coney, although Mickey might feel that it is time to let Mugsy off the leash, having made him wait all summer.

Just wondering TC who do you think will pick up the brogans........Dublin would be happy to see justy on the bench
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Gormley will take Bernard - i'd be 99% certain of that, although he has put the shackles on Alan before from centre-back.

As for Alan, well, that is tougher. Where do you think he will line out? CHF, or in a front 3 along with Bernard & Connelly?

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:BBC Sport has Martin Swift doubtful with a broken nose (which was pretty obvious, considering it was still bleeding when he went down the tunnel on Saturday night, after being clothes-lined 25 minutes earlier).

Swift has been in great form this summer, and would be a huge loss. Boc, as he is your fellow clubman, any latest updates on this one?

TC - the only update i have is that his nose is definitely broken (no surprise), i was enquiring yesterday of a few club men as to his availability for Saturday but at this stage it is not known. He has made himself available for selection but the final decision will rest with the medical guys.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 pm

I hope Martin makes a Swift recovery
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:46 pm

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:BBC Sport has Martin Swift doubtful with a broken nose (which was pretty obvious, considering it was still bleeding when he went down the tunnel on Saturday night, after being clothes-lined 25 minutes earlier).

TC - the only update i have is that his nose is definitely broken (no surprise), i was enquiring yesterday of a few club men as to his availability for Saturday but at this stage it is not known. He has made himself available for selection but the final decision will rest with the medical guys.

I guess it is a question of playing through the pain, and breathing, and hoping that you don't get a 'stray hand' in your face. Never had a broken nose, so no idea how feasible it would be in a match of this intensity.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Gormley will take Bernard - i'd be 99% certain of that, although he has put the shackles on Alan before from centre-back.

As for Alan, well, that is tougher. Where do you think he will line out? CHF, or in a front 3 along with Bernard & Connelly?

Alan will start i guess CHF -Cahill will be dropped in to midfield to stop Cavanagh runs through the center-Bastick will play as 3rd midfielder with connolly and BB left inside on their own,Cullen will be the link between defence and attack
Has Gormley got the pace to mark either brogan-I would say Tyrone are happy to see Bastick/Fennell in Midfield
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Seems high risk
Poor Jim MCGuinness caught a smack in the nose from a Dub with a camera without even touching the ball
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Yeah, I'd agree that Cahill will shadow Cavanagh, and I would prefer to see Fennell/Bastick there instead of MDMA.

In the last 2 games, Gormley has been given the job of marking Jamie Clarke & Donie Shine, so safe to say that he will also get Bernard. I'd worry if he was isolated 1-on-1 in a system as you have described, but Ricey/Swift/Joey may be left a bit deeper to help.

As for who would mark Alan Brogan at CHF. Well, Gormley will wear 6 but, as outlined above, is unlikely to play there. That leaves Ricey, Justy, O'Neill or Jordan, all of whom could be in there.

Ricey started CHB against Roscommon, but struggled on Cathal Cregg, and Sean O'Neill was moved in there after 15 minutes. But O'Neill isn't the best marker in the world, and would be more suited to pushed forward on Cullen/Flynn. On the evidence of the last few games, Justy doesn't look sharp enough to start on Brogan, but he too may have more joy on Flynn or Cullen.

Jordan is a possible at CHB also. He rarely plays there, but did in the 2005 & 2008 all-ireland finals, where he marked Declan O'Sullivan, a not too dissimilar player to Alan Brogan.

So, to answer your question, I just don't know. A lot will obviously depend on Swift being fit or not, and whether either Justy/Ricey are left on the bench. Personally, I'd be very tempted to try Jordan, and push Justy and O'Neill up the wings. But it is a tough call, and no perfect option.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

From The Hearld

BARRY Cahill could be set to take up a new centre-forward role for Dublin for Saturday's All-Ireland SFC quarter-final with Tyrone.

The former All Star defender is poised to be handed the brand new brief as Pat Gilroy shuffles his attacking deck for the last eight clash with Mickey Harte's troops.

The St Brigid's man didn't start either of Dublin's last two Leinster outings and has played his football predominantly in midfield this season.

However, management have been examining the prospect of starting Cahill in the half-forward line, as they seek to beef up their middle eight for the arrival of Tyrone.

Eoghan O'Gara's absence through a broken wrist has left a gap in the Dublin attack, although Kevin McManamon was expected to come in as a replacement following an impressive cameo from the bench in the Leinster final victory over Wexford.

However, Cahill has been trialled at centre-forward in recent training sessions and looks set to get the nod for Saturday.

If he does come in for O'Gara, Diarmuid Connolly - who suffered an injury scare over the weekend - is expected to play closer to goal alongside Bernard Brogan.

Gilroy's midfield combination will comprise two from Denis Bastick, Ross McConnell, Michael Darragh Macauley and Eamonn Fennell.

1. Cluxton
2. Fitz
3. O'Carroll
4. Mcmahon
5. McCarthy
6. Brennan
7. Nolan
8. Bastic
9. Fennell
10. Flynn
11. Cahill
12. Cullen