GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAA "One Club Model"

3 posters

Go down

GAA "One Club Model" Empty GAA "One Club Model"

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

So the GAA are introducing a "One Club Model" to bring all the umbrella organisations under the one association. Will this be hard to implement at club level though? I already look at all the organsations as one already!

In my experience, GAA clubs, Ladies football and Camogie clubs have all worked well together (have no experience of a club with Handball). Sure they have their differences but what club doesn't through the various levels? From my knowledge and experience, any club that i have been involved with more or less runs to this model already in the greater sense of things. There are club meetings where all teams that play out of the same grounds all have representitives there to put their point across if needed so i don't envisage a problem with the clubs.

Where i see the problem is with the various county boards for these organisations, you have a lot of people at the top level in county, provience and national level who have a sense of self importance and any possibile merger will "dilute" their importance. Don't get me wrong, there are people who make a brilliant contribution to their sport but there is as much if not more dead wood that needs clearing! The positive contributers will always come to the top.

Perhaps the GAA should look at what the clubs are already doing to ensure the GAA, camogie, handball and ladies football all run smoothly when they are playing from the same grounds or club name, and use this for a "One County" or "One Provience" model, where it will be needed!! One thing for sure, when the big merger happens, and it will, there will be a lot of tosspots out their big important positions, and good enough for them!

This is one initive that needs to be from the top down and not the bottom up!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

GAA "One Club Model" Empty Re: GAA "One Club Model"

Post  JimWexford Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 am

bald eagle wrote:So the GAA are introducing a "One Club Model" to bring all the umbrella organisations under the one association. Will this be hard to implement at club level though? I already look at all the organsations as one already!

In my experience, GAA clubs, Ladies football and Camogie clubs have all worked well together (have no experience of a club with Handball). Sure they have their differences but what club doesn't through the various levels? From my knowledge and experience, any club that i have been involved with more or less runs to this model already in the greater sense of things. There are club meetings where all teams that play out of the same grounds all have representitives there to put their point across if needed so i don't envisage a problem with the clubs.

Where i see the problem is with the various county boards for these organisations, you have a lot of people at the top level in county, provience and national level who have a sense of self importance and any possibile merger will "dilute" their importance. Don't get me wrong, there are people who make a brilliant contribution to their sport but there is as much if not more dead wood that needs clearing! The positive contributers will always come to the top.

Perhaps the GAA should look at what the clubs are already doing to ensure the GAA, camogie, handball and ladies football all run smoothly when they are playing from the same grounds or club name, and use this for a "One County" or "One Provience" model, where it will be needed!! One thing for sure, when the big merger happens, and it will, there will be a lot of tosspots out their big important positions, and good enough for them!

This is one initive that needs to be from the top down and not the bottom up!

Most clubs including our own have separate accounts and chairpersons for all of the above, we are in the process of re-establishing the handball section of our club and have its first Agm in many years on Thursday evening. Granted the adult board are responsible for everything and all others are just sub-committees and it is those on the top table who will suffer if any rules are breached.
But to answer your question this is been driven for different purposes I think I think it should be called the one account model.
Is it not true that Croke park wants to act as big brother now!, and wants to have a copy of a clubs account so they cann directly impose to see if a club can "qualify" for a grant or a loan.
What easier way to do so if they introduce the one model approach and hence the one account approach.
This could have a very serious impact as we treat all the others as separate entities (i.e what they raise is there's and what they spend is there's). They have there own responsibilities and hence they keep there cost down and hard earned funds are not wasted willy nilly. If there is one account people lose perspective of who is to do the fund raising and "how much they are entitled to".
Something that should be done at national level ok for different reasons
1 players insurance have one body and everyone gets the same
2. same standards across the board, hooter in ladies football could easily be applied to mens
3 rule changes implemented across the board, a good example the sideline rule is not in ladies football as are none of the new rules entered into the men's game this year.

This would lead to raising the profile of the womens game as we could have double headers of a men & women match which wouldn't of happened too much before due to how the gate receipts would of been broken down.
Sorry BE reckon this one needs to be carried out at the top and clubs can feed into to rather that clubs driving it.
Should in the long run make affiliation (including insurance) cheaper for all concerned.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 am

Jim said -
Sorry BE reckon this one needs to be carried out at the top and clubs can feed into to rather that clubs driving it.

I agree Jim, that's why i said that it has to be implemented from the top down! It should be called the "one account" model as you say as a lot of clubs in Derry that host football, hurling, camogie & ladies football all play under the one name, therefore are one club. They all work pretty well together as they are however the need for refining the size of the combined committees is something i agree with, but not to the detrement of the camogie and ladies football teams.

It is all about money & grants, i've had arguements with some representitives of the ladies board over here with regards this issue (we are a little bit ahead of the GAA in Ireland on this one but it is with regards funding issues more than anything). The Camogie board are brilliant and are willing to do as much as they can to help us work together for the development of Camogie whereas the Ladies boards first comment was "how's the money going to be spilt!". We have a long way to go here and the model we agree to will be solely for the UK and one across the board up until the GAA get all groups under the one umbrella.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Sorry mixed up your post with another one from you, regarding the hurling that one you mention bottom up. Sorry.
Like the principle I have to admit and also the clearing out of a lot of these fabled committees which in turn will streamline the organisation and make funding more transparent and easier to get
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm

They shoud just ditch all this women's football and camogie and stuff. It just clogs up facilities and puts an administrative strain on clubs. There is still plenty of work in clubs for the ladies - washing and ironing jerseys, socks and nicks, cleaning out dressing rooms, manning the bars and making sandwiches for friendlies, funerals and things, selling tickets, providing lifts for the lads so that they can have a few pints. So there is lots for the women to do in clubs without them pretending that they can play the sports. Win, win for everyone.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down