GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you..

+4
Jayo Cluxton
patrique
Grenvile
Boxtyeater
8 posters

Go down

Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you.. Empty Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you..

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Liam was on tonights Late Late with Tubbs, where he revealed he's suffering from non-hodgkin's disease. The War Office confirms that this is not a good news item but Hayes got on with it in his usual quasi-confrontational manner.
Personally, whatever his merits as a journalist, I wish him well on the road to recovery.....Here's a blast of him in his pomp, though the opposition were weak....

Last edited by Boxtyeater on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you.. Empty Re: Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you..

Post  Grenvile Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Watched this.. Fair play to the man, spoke about two very delicate issues which are all too common in Ireland..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you.. Empty Re: Liam Hayes....Health and happiness to you..

Post  patrique Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:54 am

I love his column. People forget some of the nuggets in his "in your face" comments. he was the ONLY writer to see Monaghan appearing and in 2008 he was the ONLY riter to tip Tyrone to win the all Ireland.

It is true that by the final he changed his mind and said Kerry were 20 points a better side than Tyrone. In this he was right as well just unfortunate that kerry had a bad day.....

I like him, he makes Sunday interesting.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:37 am

Jonsmith wrote:Watched this.. Fair play to the man, spoke about two very delicate issues which are all too common in Ireland..

I'd be supportive of Hayes' views as enunciated in both cases, took a lot of bottle to say it as he saw it...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:30 am

Jonsmith wrote:Watched this.. Fair play to the man, spoke about two very delicate issues which are all too common in Ireland..

Did not see it but I note the two delicate issues are still delicate in that nobody has mentioned what they are! I presume one is suicide?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 am

His brother committed suicide back in the 80's.. He spoke at length about how he regarded it (as a great betrayal in his case) and how the family could never talk about it among themselves after it happened.

The second issue being cancer and the horrible details that involves, breaking it to your family etc.

Tackled both head on and brought home some shocking figures, there are more people killed by suicide than on the roads yet it's not an issue being tackled to any reasonable extent in Irish society. Thought provoking stuff.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:41 am

Yes and badly needed. I think his brother took his life from the goalposts of the local GAA club. I also heard that some opponents at this time were not averse to reminding Hayes about this. Thats sport - indeed.

We need to get our heads out of the sand and talk about suicide, alcohol abuse, etc.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:12 am

Best of luck to Liam. He was not my most favourite columnist but I wish him a full recovery.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Yes and badly needed. I think his brother took his life from the goalposts of the local GAA club. I also heard that some opponents at this time were not averse to reminding Hayes about this. Thats sport - indeed.

We need to get our heads out of the sand and talk about suicide, alcohol abuse, etc.

some people will go to any lengths to gain an inch - and before anyone has a dig i know we have our fair share of them in Tyrone.

Bes to luck to Liam with the road ahead
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:12 pm

he is a decent man and always seems to be fair hope it turns well out for him
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Like RKF I would be a liar if I said that Liam was one of my favourite journalists but I admired the way he could handle himself on the field of play. I haven't seen the Late late show interview but think that is repeated tonight at 11.30pm but it will offer the chance to those of us who missed it to hear Liam tell his emotional personal story.

He has a very difficult journey ahead of him with intense treatment and all but there are many survivors of this terrible illness to offer much hope to people like Liam to battle this disease and ultimately defeat it. My thoughts and prayers are with Liam and his family and the many others fighting cancer at this time.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:52 pm

nice post there mugsys
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Saw the repeat there last night. Hayes is a very good communicator and came across very well dealing with some very emotional issues with extreme bravery and dignity. Best of luck to him in his fight - attitude and positivity is a big part and he has a good start there.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 pm

He's on Off the Ball on Newstalk now, he let slip about fellow GAA figure who has cancer too.

I feel he shouldn't be announcing someone elses troubles on a national radio like that. I wish Hayes all the best in his current battle but he should have been a bit more sensitive to another man's woes. Poor form.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:13 pm

I presume he didn't name anyone Seb? On the law of averages (and including ex-players, managers etc) you are probably looking at quite a few lads getting treatment for various forms of the disease.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I presume he didn't name anyone Seb? On the law of averages (and including ex-players, managers etc) you are probably looking at quite a few lads getting treatment for various forms of the disease.

No, the man was named twice.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down