GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst team to win an all ireland

+4
Loyal2TheRoyal
Jayo Cluxton
OMAR
whiterbananas
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worst team to win an all ireland Empty Worst team to win an all ireland

Post  whiterbananas Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:22 pm

My vote would go to armagh 2002. No real stars, no real proper football, too much fouling. A "functional" team would be the best way to describe them
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Worst team to win an all ireland Empty Re: Worst team to win an all ireland

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Firstly

In my opinion no poor team has won an All Ireland in my memory. any team that has won Sam in the last 30-40 years
has won it on merit and in reality were a team that developed over a number of years and had the potential to win or come close on other occasions. There were no "one season wonders"

clearly the Kerry, Tyrone teams of the last decade deserved what they won, The Cork team of this year have been consistent for several years - The Galway team of the late 90's won two titles and in Joyce, Donnelan, De paor, Walsh etc had some outstanding players - The Meath teams of the 90's and 80's the cork team from 89-90
Down 91 and 94 all proved that they had more than one good year

Armagh in 2002 could have won an another two or three All Irelands - Tight defense Franci McNulty and co- Inspirational play from McGeeny the pioneers of the diagonal ball - The scoring ability of McDonell, McConville, Marsden and aftewards Clarke - far from a poor team

Donegal in 1992 gave it a decent run in 1990 and should gave gone further in 1993
Offaly 81-82 - Matt Connor and co
Derry in 93 with Tohill Mcgilligan Scullion, Downey, Gormley had been coming for a few years
Dublin 1995 should have won before that

so I'd say that there are no poor teams - but if you wanted to pick one from the last 30 years I'd go with Kerry 1997
Really only MAurice Fitz and Moynihan stand out as great players and with Cavan,Offaly and Mayo as the semi finalists - you would have to agree it was a handy All Ireland

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm

To be honest I wasn't hugely impressed with the Kerry team of 1924 who had to score a meagre 4 points to take Sam back to the Kingdom. Mind you we were worse with our paltry 3 points. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed leaving Croker. And I got a soaking too!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:To be honest I wasn't hugely impressed with the Kerry team of 1924 who had to score a meagre 4 points to take Sam back to the Kingdom. Mind you we were worse with our paltry 3 points. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed leaving Croker. And I got a soaking too!

You should have looked for a premium ticket
Free bottles of porter and pigs head soup
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:16 pm

OMAR wrote:You should have looked for a premium ticket

I was lucky to get a ticket at all having backed the wrong horse just a couple of years earlier ...... Suspect
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

I was lucky to get a ticket at all having backed the wrong horse just a couple of years earlier ...... Suspect

What colour shirt did you wear when the dubs were playing ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:50 pm

OMAR wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

What colour shirt did you wear when the dubs were playing ?

I was the forerunner of the Newcastle Utd fan in my heyday ... Very Happy Bare chest, bare belly, tattoos etc - meant I didn't have to be a b... shirt .... Embarassed
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:01 pm

whiterbananas wrote:My vote would go to armagh 2002. No real stars, no real proper football, too much fouling. A "functional" team would be the best way to describe them

i would say Kerry in 04 or 06, to only beat Mayo by what they did is pretty poor. Obviously their quarter final victory in 06 was a freak result and they were then shown up for the poor team they were in the final

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:40 pm

The tendancy is obviously to rate lone All-Ireland winners bottom of the pile and multiple winners near the top.

The Kerry and Tyrone teams from 2002 to 2009 will obviously feature strongly amongst the best sides to win an All-Ireland in the last, say, 20 years.

On the other hand, I'd guess that Donegal 1992, Derry 1993, Kerry 1997, Armagh 2002 and Cork 2010 would be considered amongst the lesser champions of the last 20 years. Not that that means anything of course, as Omar says, no such thing as poor All-Ireland champions but by definition of best and worst, a pecking order exists.

Who knows though what Derry and Donegal would have done had a backdoor existed in the early nineties or Meath or Kildare in the latter part of that decade. Or Armagh without it in the noughties.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 pm

samin10 wrote:
whiterbananas wrote:My vote would go to armagh 2002. No real stars, no real proper football, too much fouling. A "functional" team would be the best way to describe them

i would say Kerry in 04 or 06, to only beat Mayo by what they did is pretty poor. Obviously their quarter final victory in 06 was a freak result and they were then shown up for the poor team they were in the final

I find it hard to take your opinion seriously where Mayo are concerned.

For all the negative criticism you post, they still ended up in two finals in 2004 and 2006.

How do you explain those final apearances?

When it was suggested that maybe the superlative McDonald got them to those finals you dismissed that almost straight away. And praise for the other players on the team was never actually forthcoming either.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
samin10 wrote:

I find it hard to take your opinion seriously where Mayo are concerned.

For all the negative criticism you post, they still ended up in two finals in 2004 and 2006.

How do you explain those final apearances?

When it was suggested that maybe the superlative McDonald got them to those finals you dismissed that almost straight away. And praise for the other players on the team was never actually forthcoming either.

As Down proved this year you dont have to be much of a team to make an all-ireland final, a decent team with a bit of luck can do it. Armagh got to all ireland final having played 30 minutes decent football all year (2nd half against Dublin). But yes my point about kerry being the worst team to win all-ireland in those years because they only beat Mayo was obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 pm

is this you samin10???

Worst team to win an all ireland Clown-Master
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 pm

whiterbananas wrote:is this you samin10???

Worst team to win an all ireland Clown-Master

Na, but it looks like the guy in your picture 'RIP Michel'

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:34 pm

at least Armagh won one and came clsoe to winning a second the following year - same cant be said of too many Mayo teams of late
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm

bocerty wrote:

at least Armagh won one and came clsoe to winning a second the following year - same cant be said of too many Mayo teams of late

I fail to see the relevance of that comment bocerty. Set up another thread if you wanna discuss something different. Try to keep up lad
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:23 pm

This whole stateme in one big contradiction. Surely a good teams job is to function as a team, would a functional team not mean its a good team, more so than a team being carried by one or two stars? Although its better to have 15 stars and be functional like Armagh

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 pm

samin10 wrote:

Surely a good teams job is to function as a team, would a functional team not mean its a good team, more so than a team being carried by one or two stars? Although its better to have 15 stars and be functional like Armagh

Clutching at straws a little bit there sam. Ok, maybe "Least talented team to win an all ireland" wouldve been a better title for the thread in hindsight. There is no doubt that armagh were good at grinding out results (by fair or foul means), my point was that they had very few really talented players. "Ordinary" players would be the best way to describe them, a bit like the blackburn rovers team who won the premier league all those years ago. They were well drilled and made the most of what they had. But looking back, they really were a fairly poor bunch of players
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:07 pm

whiterbananas wrote:
samin10 wrote:

Surely a good teams job is to function as a team, would a functional team not mean its a good team, more so than a team being carried by one or two stars? Although its better to have 15 stars and be functional like Armagh

Clutching at straws a little bit there sam. Ok, maybe "Least talented team to win an all ireland" wouldve been a better title for the thread in hindsight. There is no doubt that armagh were good at grinding out results (by fair or foul means), my point was that they had very few really talented players. "Ordinary" players would be the best way to describe them, a bit like the blackburn rovers team who won the premier league all those years ago. They were well drilled and made the most of what they had. But looking back, they really were a fairly poor bunch of players

Yeah, i suppose your right as always. Blackburn broke the british transfer record twice in a short space of time to get Shearer and Sutton, the SAS partnership who were banging the goals in for fun. Shearer is widely regarded as the best striker to have played in the premiership (but yeah just talentless and functional). But then again we had McGeeney (2002 player of the year), McDonnell (2003 player of the year) McConville (2002 highest scorer and still remains all time highest scorer in ulster championship), Marsden who took Marc OSe for 3 points in final, Ronan Clarke who at 19 years old took Seamus Moynihan for three points (basically to the cleaners) and won young player of the year. Seriously lad, wipe the brown stuff from your mouth and if you're going to try to be a WUM please try a bit harder because at the moment you're efforts are laughable.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 pm

whiterbananas wrote:
bocerty wrote:

I fail to see the relevance of that comment bocerty. Set up another thread if you wanna discuss something different. Try to keep up lad

cant say i am surprised............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

bocerty wrote:
whiterbananas wrote:
bocerty wrote:

2002? sure wasnt the GAA invented in 2003???? Question
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo
Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 pm

Peter Solan the Great wrote:
bocerty wrote:
whiterbananas wrote:
bocerty wrote:

2002? sure wasnt the GAA invented in 2003???? Question

cant say i have heard that one before PSTG - keep them coming their hilarious
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:57 pm

samin10 wrote:
Yeah, i suppose your right as always. Blackburn broke the british transfer record twice in a short space of time to get Shearer and Sutton, the SAS partnership who were banging the goals in for fun. Shearer is widely regarded as the best striker to have played in the premiership (but yeah just talentless and functional). But then again we had McGeeney (2002 player of the year), McDonnell (2003 player of the year) McConville (2002 highest scorer and still remains all time highest scorer in ulster championship), Marsden who took Marc OSe for 3 points in final, Ronan Clarke who at 19 years old took Seamus Moynihan for three points (basically to the cleaners) and won young player of the year. Seriously lad, wipe the brown stuff from your mouth and if you're going to try to be a WUM please try a bit harder because at the moment you're efforts are laughable.

Ha, you are strengthening my argument by suggesting chris sutton was a top player!!! (WTF??)
You re correct in stating that shearer was pretty good and i would say stephen mcdonnell was your shearer. But that is my point. Apart from one or maybe two (clarke?) decent players, the rest were pretty poor. This isnt meant as a slight on you or your county sam. I am sorry now, as i appear to have touched a raw nerve. Well done to armagh on their all ireland triumph, but the title of the thread is "Worst team to have won an all ireland" and in comparison to the other winners of the last say 50 years, armagh were fairly weak. I think you know that
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:22 pm

whiterbananas wrote:
samin10 wrote:

Ha, you are strengthening my argument by suggesting chris sutton was a top player!!! (WTF??)

Show me where i said that, i said he was part off a great partnership. But for the record he was a top striker for a brief period of about maybe 3 seasons.

You re correct in stating that shearer was pretty good

I didnt state he was pretty good. I am stating now that he was brilliant

and i would say stephen mcdonnell was your shearer. But that is my point. Apart from one or maybe two (clarke?) decent players, the rest were pretty poor.

What can i say? You have me there. Francie Bellew, Enda McNulty, McGeeney (just ask the genius McDonald about him), Aidan ORourke, Andy McCann all poor defenders. Paul McGrane (who Jack O'Connor refers to as the other great midfielder of Darragh OSe's era) a poor midfielder. John McEntee, Oisin McConville with medal collections Mayo people could only dream off. Marsden,McConville and Clarke. Enough said.

This isnt meant as a slight on you or your county sam. I am sorry now, as i appear to have touched a raw nerve.
never apologise for making someone laugh and entertaining them.

Well done to armagh on their all ireland triumph, but the title of the thread is "Worst team to have won an all ireland" and in comparison to the other winners of the last say 50 years, armagh were fairly weak. I think you know that

its a pity Mayo hadnt won a senior all-ireland in that period, because clearly they would hold the title and there would be no need for this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:55 pm

samin10 clearly a jealous guy
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down