GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby Day

+3
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
mossbags
7 posters

Go down

Derby Day Empty Derby Day

Post  mossbags Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Derby Day 654413
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Derby Day Empty Re: Derby Day

Post  mossbags Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Im only out of bed, will post the winner in an hour or so. All I can tell you at the minute is that it will NOT be Jan Vermeer.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Its not the best Derby field ever assembled but still has the makings of memorable race. Much will depend on how these three year old colts can handle the contours of Epsom Downs, the sharp right hander followed by a left hand turn and stiff uphill climb sets the scene for whats about to come. Continuing uphill all the time and turning left until the ascent is completed, they then begin to roll downhill before eventually coming into sight of Tattenham Corner, by which time, they are hurtling along at a thunderous speed. Negotiating Tattenham Corner is notoriosuly tricky as the ground swings away from the hooves of the horses and forces them to run wide. Into the straight and balance is the key, the camber in the final two and a half furlongs makes it the complete test of the thoroughbred, the horses are effectively running on the side of a hill. Its the toughest racecourse in the world especially for young inexperiences three old colts.

Jan Vermeer looks the obvious winner, he's the only Group One winner in the field and seems to have the right creditentals that you need in a Derby winner. Ballydoyle also send out Derrinstown winner Midas Touch who ran a brilliant time in that race won in the past by Galileo and High Chapparal but perhaps that was more indictive of the ground than Midas Touch ability. Godolphin have a trio of runners too and the money has pilled into Rewilding this morning. Kieren hasn't picked up a bad spare in Al Zir either. Should be a good race.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:45 pm

It looks wide open this year, after 3 years of very strong fancies cruising home.

Won't be having a bet this year, as none of them are jumping out. The ground is good-firm and the finish downhill, so I'd discount anything with speed doubts.

If pushed, I'd go for Midas Touch just over Jan Vermeer, based mainly on the Derrinstown win on good-firm ground, and also being by Galileo. Switching Capo Blanco to France indicates that O'Brien is confident in these 2.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:04 pm

still in bed Mossbags ?
Are you Kieran Fallon?

Me reckons that the Brits are due a win so Cecils' Bullet train for me
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Where is Fallon? On the M25? Probably thought he was on the new M3. Has he arrived at Epsom yet?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:27 pm

OMAR wrote:still in bed Mossbags ?
Are you Kieran Fallon?

Me reckons that the Brits are due a win so Cecils' Bullet train for me

Fallon's running to form at any rate. If he gets there on time for the Al Zir ride, and that one runs to form, he'll wonder why he bothered.
Race is not as open as some are saying, outside of Jan Vermeer,Workforce and Rewilding none have a chance of winning it. Its a question of which of these 3 has the most scope for improvement and as Loyal points out, who takes best to the unique rigours of Epsom Downs. Workforce has Ryan Moore and the great Micheal Stoute and was unlucky in the Dante last time out. The pedigree is there and the scope for improvement is immense but might still not be enough today.
Something about Coolmores whole demeanour in the run up to this race has put me off Jan Vermeer.. I cannot quite put my finger on it but for whatever reason I do not find myself drawn to Aiden O Briens charges. This is unusual for me with regards to Ballydoyle and of course the horse himself knows nothing of any of this and on form, has the ability to canter home in what looks like a weakish renewal of this great race.
So here it is, Rewilding will win the Derby 2010. Frankie is on fire, Godolfin are coming into form at just the right time, his French form looks as good as anything in the context as how the flat season is developing thus far, the stamina, the scope, and the ability are all there. I expect Coolmore will try and set it up for Jan Vermeer but canny Franky will be tracking this one and will be waiting to pounce at the death. The price is right too. I suggest a two point stake on the the nose gents.
Derby Day Horse1Derby Day Wink
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Is glue really made from horses or was that just in the past?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:34 pm

RMDrive wrote:Is glue really made from horses or was that just in the past?

Derby Day Rolleyes
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:37 pm

mossbags wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Is glue really made from horses or was that just in the past?

Derby Day Rolleyes

It was an honest question. Derby Day Icon_scratch
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Workforce it is.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:25 pm

mid-mon man wrote:Workforce it is.

Indeed. He took to Epsom like a duck to water, unlike Rewilding who was caught flatfooted even before Tettenham and did well to eventually stay on for 3rd, Donchaster written all over this one. Questions will be asked of Coolmore following this, their approach and their tactics on the day not that anything they might have done would have affected the winner who beat the great Laamtara's course record in winning today. Usatisfactory race however, 100/1 pacemaker coming 2nd says it all.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

Maybe Sea the Stars spoiled us all! Maybe the pacemaker - at 100/1 sickened us all - but fair play to Workforce .. third run and an Epsom Derby winner .. congrats!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down