GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010

+8
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
bald eagle
OMAR
mugsys_barber
mullins
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
12 posters

Go down

Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010 Empty Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010

Post  RMDrive Thu May 27, 2010 11:39 pm

How many of the U-21's will feature? Will Paddy McGrath get his chance at corner back and will Brick get the nod over the ever-promising-seldom-delivering Colm Anthony?
Will Gordon play at 3 against Murph?
Will Rogers play at all?
Will Donegal's hand-pass session with White make a difference or will the ref turn it into a free-ridden stop-fest?

The bookies have it all square at 11/10 with the draw making up the difference. I am confident that we will give it a good go. Toye and Kavanagh and back in the fold and I firmly believe that our half-forward line will dictate our chances of success.

I've been away so have missed the build-up to the game so looking forward to catching up on all the latest news and rumours!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010 Empty Re: Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu May 27, 2010 11:42 pm

I think home advantage will swing it for Donegal tbh. I don't think Down have made any great strides and even making the Div 2 final doesn't cut it with me - this is Championship. Should be a good crowd - and ref allowing a good, close game. We need one badly!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010 Empty Re: Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010

Post  mullins Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 pm

I've tipped Donegal Rmd that could be the kiss of death for you sorry.. Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010 Affraid

Where have all the Down posters gone- Would be good to hear there verdict on proceedings the weekend.. Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010 Icon_basketball
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 pm

I would also have to fancy Donegal for this even though Armagh tanked them in a recent NFL game. Donegal are always a different proposition in Ballybofey.
I have been impressed by Down's forward line and with the likes of Coulter, McComiskey, Hughes and of course Marty Clarke they have the potential to rack up high scores. If Rodgers doesn't start it will be a major blow to Down and I wouldn't be overly convinced about their defensive unit.
It will be interesting to see who picks up Murphy and whether McFadden can reproduce some of the football he produced in the past.
Tyrone await the winners in the semi-final and even though Armagh's Benny Tierney tipped Down to win on Sunday I still think Donegal will progress.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 am

Interesting Match up, Given that over that last few years donegals best runs have come after fresh lows, (Losing to fermanagh in 03 and making the semis), (losing to Antrim last year and making the quarters), This has been there worst league campaign in quite a while, anytime they were demoted in recent years they usually bounced back fairly quickly which they have not done on this occasion ending the campaign on a very low note in a trouncing by Armagh. So for this very reason I expect that to bounce back and sneak this one by a point or two.

As per RMD they key is the half forward line, over recent years its been pretty non existant, Roper on the 45 and the other two back on the half back line, however they have always looked a bit flat footed for this type of gameplan with a lot of lateral passing and acres of empty and unused space in front of a two man full forward line.
They also need some clarity around midfield, Gallagher is slow and not teh most mobile and then Kavanagh, Toye, Cassidy etc are not naturals in that position.
Partner for Murphy will also be an interesting choice, I'd tend to go for McFadden but it can easy to tell early if he is "up for it" so put walsh in quick if things aren't going to plan
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 am

Donegal team for game v Down on Sunday

Durcan,

Lacey,
Mc Gee,
McGlynn,

Maguire,
B Monaghan,
K Cassidy,

R Kavanagh,
N Gallagher,

B Dunnion,
C Toye,
D Walsh,

C Dunne,
M Murphy,
D Molloy.

Happy enough with the team. Brick Molloy deserves his chance and still gives us a strong freetaker from the RHS.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 am

RMDrive wrote:Donegal team for game v Down on Sunday

Durcan,

Lacey,
Mc Gee,
McGlynn,

Maguire,
B Monaghan,
K Cassidy,

R Kavanagh,
N Gallagher,

B Dunnion,
C Toye,
D Walsh,

C Dunne,
M Murphy,
D Molloy.

Happy enough with the team. Brick Molloy deserves his chance and still gives us a strong freetaker from the RHS.

Dunne, Dunnion and Walsh will certainly play a lot deeper than as selected which clearly sets out the tactical plan, Gallagher in front of Monaghan will need to win clean ball don't facny their pace if they have to chase for possession
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Looking forward to this one and i think it could be the game to kick start the Ulster Championship after the 2 terrible games and refereeing we have seen to date!!

Donegal are a hard team to work out, one day they could beat Kerry and the next they could lose to London but when they click i really enjoy watching them.

Down will be carefully monitored by a lot of people to see if this is their year to make an impact in the USFC, they really have to deliver this year i feel, even with the new manager.

I think Down will take it by about 4 points but one i'm looking for is a decent match as what we've seen to date has been far from delicious fayre!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Not too sure on this one. Down have been flying high in the national league, and have been fairly impressive even though they lost the league final. Donegal on the other hand were chewed up and spat out against a young Armagh team. If I remember correctly Donegal only had two scorers against Armagh. Down are too reliant on Clarke an Coulter.

Donegal's fate is in their own hands. Regardless of how well Down play if Donegal are up for it they will put Down out.

Donegal to win by 2
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat May 29, 2010 12:05 am

Punting-wise this is a miss....Donegal in B/B will be tough, but the "Wee Tub" has Down motoring nicely..Haven't seen the Down line-out but would expect a fully co-ordinated, fully orchestraded game plan from them..
Theyr'e possibly up agin' it in Ballybofey but I wouldnt write them off....If they can hold Murphy they have the most potency.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat May 29, 2010 12:13 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Punting-wise this is a miss.....

Totally agree. Probably the most inconsistent sides in Ireland over the last few years (along with Meath). Ballyboffey isn't quite the fortress it used to be, but then Donegal don't quite have the players they did a few years ago. I'd just about fancy Down, even though they looked pathetic in the league final. Having Brian McIvor in their backroom team might just give them the edge.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Punting-Watching wise this is a miss.....

Fixed that for you Boxty!!

I wish i had missed this one, not the best of games but the better side won for me. Still waiting on the Ulster Championship to spark to life but i am reminded of a post i made on here last year on the state of Ulster football.

All 6 sides seen to date have less than impressed me with the only one that i could see improving significantly to mount an All Ireland charge is Tyrone! These are bleak times for Ulster football!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  hogan2010 Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am

Not sure I agree with that bald eagle. There is no arguing that the Ulster Championship has still really to kick into life but I think there are a few surprise packages up north here and there could well still be a few ulster teams knocking around late summer. Yesterdays game made for poor viewing for the first 45 mins or so and then it became quite interesting. Extra time was great I thought. Before the game my heart said Down but my head said Donegal by 3 or 4. In the end two sloppy goals was all that kept Donegal in it and Benny Coulter rolled back the years. Ive got to say we're more than happy up here with that result and we now have a bit of quality in the squad to play around Benny. The game against Tyrone will be a lot closer than many will think!

An Dún abu!!

hogan2010
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down
Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 am

For almost a decade know the Donegal set-up and in particular its half forward line has been its main stumbling block. On paper the players available are of a good enough standard for this level Hegarty, Toye, Roper, Bonner,Mcguiness, Kavanagh, McCloone etc etc

But for years now we seen Donegal with two isolated Full forwards from Sweeny,McFadden, Murphy,Devenney and now Molloy, Once supply to the two front men gets cut off Donegal seem to have no other options available, The half forwards play deep and even when Donegal have good amounts of possession once they carry the ball to about 55 yards out the forward movement stops and they end up with 4/5 players playing flat across the 45.
When supply dries up McFadden and Murphy also drift out which actually only compounds the problem. There never seems to be a willingness to take the ball on the burst or on the overlap at pace (if you pardon the rugby talk) to get inside 30 yards and into good score taking opportunities.
Im not sure if its an issue with the players or with management but certainly Donegal need there half forward line to be kicking 4/5 points from play in each game which does not happen that often.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 am

Didn't see any of this one unfortunately but the general concensus I am hearing is that it was a poor game with two poor teams. Observers here in the Metropolis expect Tyrone to have an easy passage to the Ulster final.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon May 31, 2010 10:55 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Didn't see any of this one unfortunately but the general concensus I am hearing is that it was a poor game with two poor teams. Observers here in the Metropolis expect Tyrone to have an easy passage to the Ulster final.

Luckily i recorded it Jayo and when i played it back the recording missed the extra-time, i'm just annoyed that it didn't miss more of it to be honest!

The only thing that'll stop Tyrone winning Ulster is Tyrone themselves, Monaghan should give them a good rattle should they get there, and i hope they do, but even then i can only see Tyrone winning through.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon May 31, 2010 11:13 am

even I had the 'pleasure'of watching this game and I agree it was rubbish !
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon May 31, 2010 11:14 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Didn't see any of this one unfortunately but the general concensus I am hearing is that it was a poor game with two poor teams.

Just about sums it up Jayo.

Basically, Donegal dropped 4 forwards into midfield, and left Molloy & Murphy up on their own. Down kept 3 players back on Murphy/Molloy, and seemingly instructed their 3 half backs to hold their ground and not follow Toye, Dunne & Walsh as they dropped into midfield. This meant that Donegal had plenty of ball in the middle of the field, but had no-one to kick the ball up to when they got it. As Omar says, they needed someone to make strong runs on the ball and draw in the Down defence, but instead they shuffled passes from side to side, and the game got bogged down in midfield.

Interestingly, we've now seen 6 Ulster sides, and all 6 have used sweepers, in the vast majority to very poor effect.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 31, 2010 11:57 am

I also think that because of his undoubted ability and the fact that for the bulk of his career Down haven't had the best of teams that he has suffered by being asked to fill various positions and take on roles that didn't suit him. Agree with TC that if he was part of a side like the Down team of the early 90s and playing consistently in his best position then he would be a Mourne legend akin to the very best of them.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon May 31, 2010 7:20 pm

Very little leadership provided to Donegal yesterday either by experienced players or the line management....
Doherty and Boyle spent the afternoon stroking their chins and when it went to extra time, the iconic Coulter was in the midst of his team laying down the law in no uncertain fashion. The players were all grouped around together and certainly gave off the impression that it was there for the winning while they all stood on their feet.

Were any of the Donegal boys sucking a sneaky Woodbine as they lay, fatigued on the grass awaiting deliverance..? Dún na nGall v An Dún - Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Beál Áth Féich - 30/05/2010 Suspect

Coulter is, in fairness, some bit of stuff and was the eventual difference..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon May 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Donegal should have had the game won in normal time. Something like 15 wides to Down's 4.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 am

i only saw this match from about 15-20 minutes to go donegal were 2 points up with 5 or so to play and 3 times in a row they lost the ball on the down 45. three attacks 2 points and a wide. donegal were very lucky to snatch a draw at the last. big durcan made a save atthe aslt to keep them in it. JJ doherty doesnt seem as clued in as other managers. the point about shin scratchin is a moot one. also good to see mciver get one over on donegal too as he was treated like a dog by the county board when they got shot of him. any of the donegal players to have been interviewed and asked about him only seemed to have positives.

any team with wee james over them will be cute enough and people talking about tyrone having a handy passage to the ulster final are mad. down will have learned a bucketfull from that game and when they get a win under their belts thay can be very hard to stop.

marty clarke has been the big difference i feel as were teams used to double mark coulter their attentions moved to clarke freeing up the bould benny to cause havoc. down still have rodgers to come into that team as well.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down