GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin GG News

+33
patsymc
Podger
bluearmy1
bald eagle
Parouisa
KerryKatriona
redhandman
hipster 2
Thomas Clarke
scoopmine
The Puke
jimbodub
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
Royal_Girl2k9
Grenvile
black&white
whiterbananas
Floops
Omagh RedHand
Loyal2TheRoyal
mid-mon man
mossbags
OMAR
JimWexford
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
AdamG
RMDrive
Shinners
Jayo Cluxton
mugsys_barber
mullins
37 posters

Page 30 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

Dublin GG News - Page 30 Empty Re: Dublin GG News

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 am

Ciaran Kilkenny's return is a big boost for Dublin. The young man's statement tells us all we needed to know about what it means to be steeped in the old traditions and cultures the great game imbues us with.

Can you see some rogbee or soccerball clown having the depth of passion the statement exudes.....

Fair play to you Ciaran.

"I have decided not to pursue my career in Australian Rules football any further and have informed the Hawthorn club of my decision," Kilkenny's statement reads.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience in Australia and am extremely grateful to Hawthorn for providing me with the opportunity to experience life as a professional athlete in a wonderful country. The professionalism of the club was exemplary and they always made me feel very welcome.

"However, seeing Australia and a different way of life, also served to bring home to me the things that make Ireland so special. Obviously family and friends are important but I also came to really appreciate the things that make Ireland unique such as the people in general, the way of life and of course the GAA.

"As much as I enjoyed the lifestyle of a professional Aussie Rules player and relished the challenge of achieving in a different code, I realised that it would never matter as much to me as the sense of community and joy I get from togging out and playing alongside the people with whom I grew up and live.

"Achieving success and realising my potential as a hurler and footballer with my club and county will always be more important to me than any of the benefits to be obtained from professional sport.

"It may seem like a short time to spend in Australia but I have always given absolute commitment to any team in which I was involved and I feel it would be unfair on both Hawthorn and myself to continue in a situation where I am not 100% committed and happy in myself.

"I've come to realise also that although I enjoy the game of Australian Rules football, it could never replace the satisfaction I get from the round ball or a sliotar. Sport has always been something I did for enjoyment and I have found that it's not something I can do merely because it's my job. The passion I feel for hurling and football is not transferrable to any other sport and seeing my neighbours and team mates happy when we do well is reward enough.

"Going to live in Australia was never something I felt I had to do. I always said however that if I didn't go I might have doubts or questions later on in life but having spent some time there now I'm happy that that those doubts and questions will not arise. Now I'm looking forward to getting back involved in what I feel truly passionate about, hurling and football with my club, and seeing where that takes me."
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:13 am

"It would never matter as much to me as the sense of community and joy I get from togging out and playing alongside the people with whom I grew up and live ...................... Sport has always been something I did for enjoyment and I have found that it's not something I can do merely because it's my job. The passion I feel for hurling and football is not transferrable to any other sport and seeing my neighbours and team mates happy when we do well is reward enough."

Great summation of what the GAA is all about. To hear a young, potential superstar speak this way is hugely encouraging and heartwarming.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 am

Disastrous defeat to Wicklow and one which must cast serious doubts over the ability of the new management team.

There were actually two versions of programme available there yesterday - with two almost entirely different Dublin teams named! Gavin threw in a very raw team. Defensively they were excellent in the 2nd half - not conceding for about 30 mins and only conceding 2 points in total. Problem was end of first half when Dublin went from 6-4 up with less than 10 minutes to HT to be losing 1-09 to 0-06 when the whistle went! We owned the ball in the 2nd half but some of the front play was pretty awful. Disappointed too that Cormac Costello warmed up with 20 to go but didn't get a run (nor did BB) considering we needed scores badly and were struggling to get them.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am

Donegal conceded 3 goals which is somewhat of negative trend when benchmarked against the four championship goals they have conceded in 13 games under McGuinness
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:54 pm

was reading yesterday that Bernard Dunne is invovled with the Dubs this year (may have been mentioned on here already) interesting choice for Jim Gavin, whats he hoping to get from him????

Last edited by bocerty on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Was talking to him briefly y'day. Basically he is looking at the psychology side of things.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Parouisa wrote:Was talking to him briefly y'day. Basically he is looking at the psychology side of things.

name dropping here P!!!!

Jim is a big fan of US sports and is looking to see what elements of coaching from those sports he can bring into his own regime. So expect a few touchdowns and slamdunks from the Dubs before the summers out...........................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

bocerty wrote: Jim is a big fan of US sports

Like so many of our game's great thinkers (e.g. Mickey Harte, myself and RMD, in no particular order.)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Oh no! Can we expect the game to be split into 8 quarters!!!! With 20 minute ad breaks in between? Dickie Rock to be rolled onto the pitch at half time to take a peno or something? At least some of the lads here will be happy I spose ....

I was talking to one of the lads the weekend and we both reckon that this is potentially the finest Dublin panel for years. I'd say even MH would be drooling over some of the talent at his disposal! Dublin had a lot of 'good players' over the years - or all the same standard as the brother says. From U21 and minor success there are definitely a good few 'better than average' lads knocking around. If they can bring it through at senior level then there are exciting times ahead. I wouldn't swop Dublin's position with any other county at this time tbh!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Parouisa wrote:Oh no! Can we expect the game to be split into 8 quarters!!!! With 20 minute ad breaks in between? Dickie Rock to be rolled onto the pitch at half time to take a peno or something? At least some of the lads here will be happy I spose ....

I was talking to one of the lads the weekend and we both reckon that this is potentially the finest Dublin panel for years. I'd say even MH would be drooling over some of the talent at his disposal! Dublin had a lot of 'good players' over the years - or all the same standard as the brother says. From U21 and minor success there are definitely a good few 'better than average' lads knocking around. If they can bring it through at senior level then there are exciting times ahead. I wouldn't swop Dublin's position with any other county at this time tbh!

Neither would Irish Ferries
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Parouisa wrote:Was talking to him briefly y'day. Basically he is looking at the psychology side of things.

Dublin GG News - Page 30 Tall-m10

You're putting on weight I notice Jayo.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 am

I am - being off the cigs I think. Even the tie is getting tight around the neck ... must get the elastic loosened.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 am

Another good performance by the Dubs albeit in the low gears! Bastic excellent in midfield and ably assisted by Declan O'Mahony. Jack McCaffrey had a good game at half back and it was great to see Emmet O Conghaile score 1-1 and Cormac Costello score his first senior point (of many I hope) when coming on as sub. Bernard knocked in 2-07 and looked lively and hungry throughout. Final next Saturday in Parnell at 7 o'clock.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

I see Jim Gavin had GPS tracking devices on all the lads yesterday. He says it was to monitor speed and distances covered ... but we all know it was in case they got lost as they were playing outside of Dublin!!! Laughing

ps I went behind the Dublin goal yesterday, changing ends at half time. First half was grand with only a few hardy souls there. However there was a fair smattering behind the other end. There was about 20 lads in total - most of whom in their 30s and with kids in tow. I love a bit of banter at a game but there were a few real loud mouths here - and banter it wasn't - stupidity and not even a bit funny. Childish, insulting, rude .... downright idiots. Thought they were great funny men when all they were ignorant and stupid cretins. Embarrassing too.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Parouisa wrote:I see Jim Gavin had GPS tracking devices on all the lads yesterday. He says it was to monitor speed and distances covered ... but we all know it was in case they got lost as they were playing outside of Dublin!!! Laughing

ps I went behind the Dublin goal yesterday, changing ends at half time. First half was grand with only a few hardy souls there. However there was a fair smattering behind the other end. There was about 20 lads in total - most of whom in their 30s and with kids in tow. I love a bit of banter at a game but there were a few real loud mouths here - and banter it wasn't - stupidity and not even a bit funny. Childish, insulting, rude .... downright idiots. Thought they were great funny men when all they were ignorant and stupid cretins. Embarrassing too.

Some of these loudmouths have ventured outside of the Pale even... A certain element of them are freely visible and indeed audible at isolated pitches as far afield as Leitrim. They met their match however last Sunday in B'more when a bunch of embarrassed locals invited them to "put up or shut up"....
Gobsh1tes to a man.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm

This would be a good thread for Sami .. nach ea?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:28 pm

Just hearing of the death of Kevin Heffernan at the age of 83. Legend RIP. More anon.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Taken from today's Irish Indo ....

Dublin team that started O'Byrne Cup final
Shane Supple
Davy Byrne
Tomas Brady
Daragh Nelson
Chris Guckian
Darren Daly
Jack McCaffrey
MD McAuley
Denis Bastick
Paddy Quinn
Paddy Andrews
Emmet O Conghaile
Paul Mannion
Bernard Brogan
Kevin McManamin

A team that was unavailable last Saturday night
Stephen Cluxton
Philly McMahon
Rory O Carroll
Cian O Sullivan
James McCarthy
Ger Brennan
Kevin Nolan
Craig Dias
Paul Flynn
Dermot Connolly
Barry Cahill
Bryan Cullen
Ciaran Kilkenny
Eoghan O Gara
Alan Brogan

A team of possibilities from rest of extended squad
Vinny Whelan
Mick Fitzsimons
Kevin O'Brien
Sean George
Eric Lowdnes
Nicky Devereux
Johnny Cooper
Declan O'Mahony
Shane Carthy
Gary Sweeney
Pat Burke
Gerry Seaver
Paul Hudson
Cormac Costello
Dean Rock

There are also a number of other players on the fringes in particular Ballymun forward Jason Whelan who has looked hugely impressive for his club.

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 pm

It's an easy game to get lulled into, Par - we in Tyrone played it for years. What that basically means is that you have a lot of average-good players around a similar level.

However, lose McAuley or the Brogans, and you will be in trouble. Even the strongest of panels have players they can't do without.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Oh I am well aware of the problems of having the same-standard type of player - we have suffered it for years and I wrote about that very subject here recently.

A lot of these lads are obviously a tad above that as they have Celtic Crosses already. I think it goes beyond MDMcA and the Bs and I would also be very hopeful about the potential seen to date of some of the younger lads.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Parouisa wrote:Oh I am well aware of the problems of having the same-standard type of player - we have suffered it for years and I wrote about that very subject here recently.

A lot of these lads are obviously a tad above that as they have Celtic Crosses already. I think it goes beyond MDMcA and the Bs and I would also be very hopeful about the potential seen to date of some of the younger lads.

I think what I'm trying to say is that there are some players that any side can't do without. Donegal would not retain Sam if Karl Lacey and Murphy were out. Same for for Kerry with Gooch and the O'Se's. Dublin have a lot of good players but, like all sides, there are some that they would find extremely hard to replace.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 am

Agree with that. What I would hope is that there are a few more irreplaceble players among the newer lads. And the more irreplaceable players you have the more replaceable they become!!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm

without the strongest squad in years quite a few more than average players going to make the break through this year.really looking forward to jim putting is mark on this squad as the league progress but im really excited about 2013 very intersting times for the dubs

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Interesting to see what way Jim's thinking is going so far.

V Cork
DUBLIN: S Cluxton; D Daly, R O’Carroll, K O’Brien; J Cooper, G Brennan, J McCaffrey; MD Macauley, E O Conghaile; P Flynn, D Connolly, P Quinn; P Mannion, P Andrews, B Brogan. Subs used: P Ryan, C O’Sullivan, C Reddin, D Nelson, S Carthy.

V Kerry
DUBLIN: S Cluxton; J Cooper, R O’Carroll, K O’Brien; J McCaffrey, G Brennan, D Daly; MD Macauley, C O’Sullivan; P Flynn, T Brady, C Reddin; P Andrews, D Connolly, B Brogan. Subs used: P Ryan, C Dias, D Nelson, D O’Mahony, P Quinn.

From the All Ireland winning side of 2011, so far (for a variety of reasons) we have yet to see Mick Fitzsimons, James McCarthy, Kevin Nolan, Denis Bastick, Barry Cahill, Bryan Cullen (I doubt we will), Alan Brogan - nor McManaman or O’Gara. Add in Ciaran Kilkenny and possibly Dean Rock or Jason Whelan from Ballymun – and a few other underagers (poss too early for Cormac Costello) and it’s looking good.

Looks like there are going to be some we’lll known names not going to make the panel this year.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 pm

whats the story with Cullen
bocerty
bocerty