GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin GG News

+33
patsymc
Podger
bluearmy1
bald eagle
Parouisa
KerryKatriona
redhandman
hipster 2
Thomas Clarke
scoopmine
The Puke
jimbodub
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
Royal_Girl2k9
Grenvile
black&white
whiterbananas
Floops
Omagh RedHand
Loyal2TheRoyal
mid-mon man
mossbags
OMAR
JimWexford
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
AdamG
RMDrive
Shinners
Jayo Cluxton
mugsys_barber
mullins
37 posters

Page 25 of 39 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 39  Next

Go down

Dublin GG News - Page 25 Empty Re: Dublin GG News

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Parouisa wrote:
3) What makes it different and more important to the well-being of the GAA than other county brands, assuming there are any? It isn't any different. For instance Tyrone could market umbrellas.

Low blow there! Laughing

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Parouisa wrote:
3) What makes it different and more important to the well-being of the GAA than other county brands, assuming there are any? It isn't any different. For instance Tyrone could market umbrellas.

Low blow there! Laughing

Ah just a little joke - like Dublin winning a football All Ireland every 3 years and a hurling one every 5 years. Laughing
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Parouisa wrote:
1) What is the 'Dublin brand'? Anything to do with Dublin GAA
2) What does it stand for? As above
3) What makes it different and more important to the well-being of the GAA than other county brands, assuming there are any? It isn't any different. For instance Tyrone could market umbrellas..

Ah, so it is that strategic and characterised. And there was be thinking that it was something into which thought had gone.

What you (and BaldEagle) are referring to is not a brand, but rather commercial potential or, if you like, the chance to capitalise on numbers by selling some shirts. There could well be the possibility for developing a 'Dublin brand', but you don't have one yet.

case in point: You, a staunch Dublin fan, don't even know what it is, or what it stands for, or what makes it unique. That means you have a jersey, some colours and a name, but you don't have a brand. It is a nice concept, and certainly has potential but, like many Dubs since their AI win this year, this plan seems to have got a bit carried away with itself.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

For a sometimes intelligent poster you can be very clueless at times. Of course it is a brand. And no Dublin supporter is getting ahead of himself at all, we have been around a long long time. We are not Johnny Come Latelies who suddenly think they know everything. But we do recognise our huge importance to the GAA and embrace it.

We are keen to build on any success - in both codes. We want to make hurling and football the games of our youth here in the city. We want to build on our minor successes in both codes. We want to make the games places where parents want to brign their kids. To move away from players leathering each other on the pitch and fans fighting in the stands.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Leinster rugby , Manchester United..

...oh God

And yes baldeagle I can understand where you are coming from and a certain level of commercial savvy has to be shown by GAA entities for the survival of the Association. Having said that, we must not compromise our core philosophies regarding the place of commerce and financial issues in our sporting and cultural organisation. I'm all for county boards bringing in much needed finance as long as intentions are based on GAA principles, and not commercial interests.

And Parousia, if the 86 page 'document' includes the foreword as well as the report then it is to be read as a whole. Or are we supposed to just skip it?

Of course I agree that GAA activities in Dublin should be funded as fully as is fairly possible. But I don't agree that the wellbeing of Dublin GAA correlates to the overall wellbeing of the GAA. From the late 90s right through to the present day the GAA really started to take off as a marketable entity, there is little to suggest that this owed any more to Dublin than it did to the other few million people in the country. The Tyrone and Armagh rivalry in the 00's did as much for GAA coffers as any Dublin successes, or lack thereof.

Also, Dublin are the current All-Ireland champions and have recently been able to claim genuine membership of the exclusive dual county serious contenders club. I do not see why Dublin should be afforded a higher proportion of funding than say...my own county...where there are 500,000 people yet football is concentrated in a surprisingly small area in the south of the county while hurling is basically a non-entity outside the the three big Ards peninsula clubs. The same can be said for many counties.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Jayo, look at the answers that you gave:

1) What is the 'Dublin brand'? Anything to do with Dublin GAA
2) What does it stand for? As above
3) What makes it different and more important to the well-being of the GAA than other county brands, assuming there are any? It isn't any different.

Since man first put a hot iron on his pet mammoth, branding has been about making something uniquely identifiable. That you, a Dublin fanatic, could turn around and say that the Dublin brand isn't any different than any other county's, says it all really.

You haven't got a clue what it is, what it stands for, or what makes it unique. I acknowledge that there is potential, but you seem to think that something is established already, when it is still just a concept.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:28 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:And Parousia, if the 86 page 'document' includes the foreword as well as the report then it is to be read as a whole. Or are we supposed to just skip it?

Well you made the deep and long thought out conclusion that the report is long winded and nonsense and should be a quarter of the size after what can only have been a cursory glance and then proceeded to quote a foreword from the Ard Stiurthoir which quite clearly does not constitute any part of the actual report - so skip it if you like.

And you would prefer money pi55ing out of this country on Man Utd, Celtic, Liverpool etc jersies and have a problem with such money being spent on (mostly) Irish goods and reinvested in the GAA?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm

I am saying that the brand is most certainly there - as is Tyrone GAA, Cork GAA, Kerry GAA and London GAA etc. The brands are there. They need to be harnessed and prtoected and copyrighted properly. I feel the potential commercial value of the Dublin brand in particular is massive.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:38 pm

To take a widespread definition of a brand from the net (this one is widely used) is Dublin GAA not a brand?

A brand is a product, service, or concept that is publicly distinguished from other products, services, or concepts so that it can be easily communicated and usually marketed.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Parouisa wrote:I am saying that the brand is most certainly there - as is Tyrone GAA, Cork GAA, Kerry GAA and London GAA etc. The brands are there. They need to be harnessed and prtoected and copyrighted properly. I feel the potential commercial value of the Dublin brand in particular is massive.

No, the potential is there, not the brand. The brand is no more there than a string of corner shops, all of which have a different name/sign out the front, but basically open the same hours and sell the same things at the same prices. What is the difference in them?

On the contrary, I know what Tescos brand stands for, or ASDA, or Waitrose. I know the different brand values that Ferrari have in comparison to Volvo, or Barcelona in comparison to Man Utd. I know what Apple stands for. I know what Ryanair stands for. I'm sure you know all these things too, because they are strong, well branded companies.

The question remains 2 pages on - what does the Dublin Brand, that you claim exists, stand for, and what makes it unique? You can't give me an answer because there isn't one but, in all seriousness, this is how such things are arrived at; by asking fans what it means to them.

Saying that there is a brand is getting ahead of yourself - potential yes, but not yet a brand.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Parouisa wrote:To take a widespread definition of a brand from the net (this one is widely used) is Dublin GAA not a brand?

A brand is a product, service, or concept that is publicly distinguished from other products, services, or concepts so that it can be easily communicated and usually marketed.

No. Reference my previous post, and also your dismissal of the Dublin brand as being 'no different to any other county' for the reasons why not.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:To take a widespread definition of a brand from the net (this one is widely used) is Dublin GAA not a brand?

No. Reference my previous post, and also your dismissal of the Dublin brand as being 'no different to any other county' for the reasons why not.

Jeeze TC I meant that each county has its own potential brand - and I do think that. A brand can be a concept too which is effectively what this is until and unless harnessed properly - so we will agree to differ.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Parouisa wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Jeeze TC I meant that each county has its own potential brand - and I do think that. A brand can be a concept too which is effectively what this is until and unless harnessed properly - so we will agree to differ.

A brand can be a concept but a concept is not capable of being trade marked. It needs a much more narrow scope.

There does seem to be an element of hypocrisy from Dublin here. They want the GAA to recognise the fact that they have a huge population, until it turns into questioning whether it is fair to competitiveness within the GAA then they want to be viewed as being the same as any other county.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Jonsmith wrote:There does seem to be an element of hypocrisy from Dublin here. They want the GAA to recognise the fact that they have a huge population, until it turns into questioning whether it is fair to competitiveness within the GAA then they want to be viewed as being the same as any other county.

Surely for the good of the GAA it should be recongised that Dublin do have a big pop - cos they do. They also porbably have more competiton from other sports and distractons than any other county. Do we want counties to have the means to devellop and promote our games or not? And as someon e esle said the GAAs very core is based on parish and counties etc. WOuld you like to see a Cavan north and south? Divison and partititon has never served this country well.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Podger wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:There does seem to be an element of hypocrisy from Dublin here. They want the GAA to recognise the fact that they have a huge population, until it turns into questioning whether it is fair to competitiveness within the GAA then they want to be viewed as being the same as any other county.

Surely for the good of the GAA it should be recongised that Dublin do have a big pop - cos they do. They also porbably have more competiton from other sports and distractons than any other county. Do we want counties to have the means to devellop and promote our games or not? And as someon e esle said the GAAs very core is based on parish and counties etc. WOuld you like to see a Cavan north and south? Divison and partititon has never served this country well.

I agree that attempts should be made to try to get the greatest number of people playing GAA sports as is possible. Let us say that these attempts are made and prove fruitful.
Do you think it is good for the GAA that Dublin, who already have more club players training that most (possibly all) other counties then could have a pick of about one sixth (for arguments sake) of the entire GAA players in the country at their disposal? And compete against the likes of Cavan who have a population twenty times smaller than Dublin.
What Dublin seem to be saying here is that they want to move forward into the future development of the GAA, but hang onto the historical aspects that will ensure that development will cement their dominance.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Do you think it is good for the GAA that Dublin, who already have more club players training that most (possibly all) other counties then could have a pick of about one sixth (for arguments sake) of the entire GAA players in the country at their disposal? And compete against the likes of Cavan who have a population twenty times smaller than Dublin.
What Dublin seem to be saying here is that they want to move forward into the future development of the GAA, but hang onto the historical aspects that will ensure that development will cement their dominance.

What is the solution here then JS? Maybe a decentralisation programme for Dublin GAA clubs?

Firstly Dublin can only pick a panel of 30 players - the same as Cavan and every other county. The vast, vast majority of club players never get near a county jersey other than to wear a replica to a match. The issue here is catering for the thousands of youngsters who play the game and want to play the game. To coach them, encourage and facilitate them and to continue to make the GAA a thriving organisation in the capital in the face of stiff and ever increasing competition from other sports. Some clubs in Dublin have more members than the population of many rural villages. If the GAA is to continue to prosper these clubs must have the wherewithal to accommodate local children and not to lose them to other sports because of insufficient capacity. This is the challenge - not building a super power. Dublin - and many other counties - have always had a far bigger population than Kerry or Kilkenny yet that is not reflected in All Ireland titles.

In addition Dublin clubs have long catered for the country GAA player. Many country lads join Dublin clubs, some just train with them, but all are glad to do so and thrive within the clubs both socially and in sporting terms - and this is right and will always continue. And many have being involved in bringing success to their adopted clubs too. There is many a lad from the country who knew little or no-one when arriving in Dublin for study or work but who prospered in becoming involved in a local club. I know quite a few.

And what are the historical aspects? Are they the county football and hurling teams that we want to hang on to? Do you honestly believe that any Dublin fan wants to go and see Fingal County Team or North Dublin or South Dublin? Yes if the Dublin County teams are the historical aspects you refer to then I do want to hang on to them. And the day they are changed would be the day that my interest in the GAA would die, just like tens of thousands of other Dubs I'm quite sure.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:52 am

JS - as a poster I respect a lot can you tell me what you think now in reply to my post please. Thanks.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:00 am

Parouisa wrote:
What is the solution here then JS? Maybe a decentralisation programme for Dublin GAA clubs?

Firstly Dublin can only pick a panel of 30 players - the same as Cavan and every other county. The vast, vast majority of club players never get near a county jersey other than to wear a replica to a match. The issue here is catering for the thousands of youngsters who play the game and want to play the game. To coach them, encourage and facilitate them and to continue to make the GAA a thriving organisation in the capital in the face of stiff and ever increasing competition from other sports. Some clubs in Dublin have more members than the population of many rural villages. If the GAA is to continue to prosper these clubs must have the wherewithal to accommodate local children and not to lose them to other sports because of insufficient capacity. This is the challenge - not building a super power. Dublin - and many other counties - have always had a far bigger population than Kerry or Kilkenny yet that is not reflected in All Ireland titles.

In addition Dublin clubs have long catered for the country GAA player. Many country lads join Dublin clubs, some just train with them, but all are glad to do so and thrive within the clubs both socially and in sporting terms - and this is right and will always continue. And many have being involved in bringing success to their adopted clubs too. There is many a lad from the country who knew little or no-one when arriving in Dublin for study or work but who prospered in becoming involved in a local club. I know quite a few.

And what are the historical aspects? Are they the county football and hurling teams that we want to hang on to? Do you honestly believe that any Dublin fan wants to go and see Fingal County Team or North Dublin or South Dublin? Yes if the Dublin County teams are the historical aspects you refer to then I do want to hang on to them. And the day they are changed would be the day that my interest in the GAA would die, just like tens of thousands of other Dubs I'm quite sure.

Apologies, I had meant to reply sooner. Very good post on the topic. Your reasoning is evidently based on noble sentiments and some things I hadn't considered. I was looking at the proposals as Dublin attempting to raise standards through numbers as opposed to simply reaching out for numbers to promote GAA sports.

I know you say that the aim is not to create a superpower but I think it could be a knock on effect. If the numbers rise even greater Dublin will get even stronger, that could lead to an unhealthy domination on the Championship. Then again I can see why Dubs would say fook that. It was ok to have Dublin competing for 125 years as one why should thing change if they start to dominate. Kerry dominate and nobody wanted to split them.

Perhaps this may be pedantic but.. You say the GAA in Dublin needs to accommodate children and have sufficient capacity for them in order to compete with other sports. The GAA is in a healthy enough position at the moment, say they are happy to stick with the number of youngsters playing at the moment so capacity isn't an issue. Should Dublin have more funding (to have a better setup to combat competition from other sports) than say Cavan where Gaelic football is the only sport and competition isn't an issue?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:34 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Should Dublin have more funding (to have a better setup to combat competition from other sports) than say Cavan where Gaelic football is the only sport and competition isn't an issue?

I think all funding should be on a per capita basis. Its about providing as much opportunity as possible. Its about making sure that nobody is denied the opportunity to join and participate on the basis of financial constraints.

Also imagine a scenario where they split Dublin into two teams - and they both made the All Ireland Final... in both codes!!! Razz How would that go down!!!! Shocked
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Just a matter of interest Dub fans. Dublin's win was hailed,rightly so, as good for the GAA. I expected more exposure of the players media wise etc but after a bright start they have faded from the picture. Dublin County Board should be marketing them at every opportunity. Then last week I noted a great opportunity arose, the turning on of the Henry st. Christmas lights. Who performed the ceremony? A rugby player from Wexford. Surely Cullen or one of the Brogans would be more suitable for a Dublin event?
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 am

Maybe having shot out all the lights in September the lads were less keen to turn them back on. Razz
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:23 am

Parouisa wrote:Maybe having shot out all the lights in September the lads were less keen to turn them back on. Razz
I have heard since that Stephen Cluxton was invited to do the honours but they relaised that by the time Cluxo had walked from O'Connell St to the switch it would be New Year's Day Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 am

THE Dublin GAA Yearbook 2012 will be a bumper edition containing 300 pages. It captures in words and pictures the story of a wonderful 2011 for gaelic games in Dublin at county and club levels. It features interviews with Pat Gilroy, Anthony Daly, Kevin McManamon, Paul Ryan, Ger Brennan, Ryan O’Dwyer, Ciara Burgess, Sinead Goldrick and much much more.

Handball, Camogie, Ladies Football, Cumann na mBunscol, Second Level Schools reviews as well as some smashing full page colour pictures of your favourite Dublin stars. The publication will be available through Parnell Park from December 12 and through Easons from this weekend (price €15).

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Can't blame a guy for trying to make a quick buck but Malachy Clerkin's Road to Sam Maguire is cynically that - riding on the Dubs All Ireland win. I read 215 pages in less than 3 hours - thanks mainly to the lack of text, huge volume of pictures and repetitive large quote of text on page - on most pages. This retailed originally for approx €25 and was going for €21 in some bookstores last week - while openly available for €9.99 in Easons and Reads - feel sorry for probably a lot of people who paid top whack!

And while there are a few typos there is one GLARING error. All through the Dublin Kildare chapter he refers to referee David Coldrick - the man who made the big call in the last moments. This despite the fact that there is a picture of Aindriu MacLochlainn (on page 75 under the text of the incident) remonstrating with the ref - and the page summary of the game also refers to the ref. The ref is actuallly Cormac Reilly. A dreadfully large, embarrassing and unforgiveable error by the author.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am

Just to let you Dubs know that I will be greeting Sam today at my place of employment. Will be doing a thorough check on the status of the trophy.When you give a loan of a equipment etc to a neighbour you expect to get it back in the same condition. Very Happy Expected around lunchtime but rumour has it that Cluxton is delivering so that could be around 4 or 5 pm. Razz
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 39 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 39  Next